Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Foil Cookery
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:34 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I recently attended a workshop at the Schiele Museum of Natural History in Gastonia, North Carolina, where I learned to cook with foil. My favorite was the hamburger cooked in an onion.

First, I hollowed out a yellow onion:

Packed one half with ground beef:

Put the other half on top:

Wrapped it in foil (shiny side in is supposed to make it slightly hotter--who knows?):

Cooked on open coals for 20 minutes to a half an hour:

Then unwrapped it and ate it. Unfortunately, I was hungry and wolfed the thing down before I thought to take a picture of the delicious finished product. The vegetarians cooked eggs in their onions, which seemed to turn out all right.

But here's a picture of a nifty foil-and-stick frying pan that worked quite well:

We also made meatloaf on a stick by packing a paste made of ground beef, a crushed slice of bread, an egg, and salt and pepper on the end of a green stick, wrapping with foil, and setting it over the fire with a forked stick as a fulcrum, weighted at the base. It had to cook a little longer than the items in the coals--about 45 minutes. The meatloaf was very moist and tasty, but unfortunately it was a demonstration model, and there was only a little to go around.

[Edited to fix photobucket links, to add text, and to correct some spelling and syntax problems. Too bad I didn't do all of that before it went into the ZS feed!]

My deviantART photo gallery.

I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado.

Last edited by dogbane on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:48 pm 

Reminds me of the baked potato's we make whenever the paintball team travels. Its a tradition for us now, There always seems to be one "demon spud" one that noone can eat and it never dies o_O

I would always score my potato first before wrapping it up in foil, to me it helps it cook it a lil faster and all the way through, that and helps me mush it upeasier for eating :D

Post subject: Re: Foil Cookery
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:56 am 

dogbane wrote:
Wrapped it in foil (shiny side in is supposed to make it slightly hotter--who knows?):

Just a general FYI:
They did Aluminum Foil on Discorey's "How It's Made" a few weeks ago. The reason one side is shiny and the other is dull, IIRC, is that they run two rolls of foil (of the proper width) thru a press at the same time, back-to-back. The dull side is the surface that was pressed against the other sheet of foil, while the shiny side is actually sort of polished by the rollers on the press.

My favorite foil recipe is what my wife simply calls "packets".
Get some stew (cubed) meat- beef or venison; you could even use pork or chicken, even high-quality cuts of meat if you feel like cubing it yourself.

Get some vegetables. I always use Celery, Onion, Carrots and Potatoes.

Wrap vegetables and meat in a sheet of foil, leaving the top open for the time being.

I always salt and pepper mine beforehand, but it isn't necessary.

Drop in some butter. I usually put in a couple tablespoons full.

Roll the top edges of the foil together to seal the packet. You could also double-wrap it in foil if you wanted, but this makes it a little difficult to check the progress if the opening sections aren't lined up.

Put 'em on the grill. It usually takes about a half-hour or a little more to cook them, and no side dishes are needed. Everything cooks in the packet, flavors mingle and it comes out delicious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:37 pm 

Just for the heck of it, here are some links to this kind of cooking:

http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/camping/aluminumfoil.htm
http://www.macscouter.com/Cooking/FoilCook.pdf
http://www.usscouts.org/cooking/cook_03.asp
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/si ... ocorn.html
http://www.athensparent.com/articles/fe ... oking.html
http://troop702.missouri.org/Troop702aluminum.htm
http://www.joyofcamping.com/camping-rec ... g-recipes/
http://bbq.about.com/od/fishandseafood/ss/aa031007a.htm

This Is Me Surviving (another serialized story)
Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men (Asteroid Strike)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:02 pm 

Kathy to the rescue!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:09 pm 

This was a common meal in the winter time in scouts. We'd throw in meat, vaggies, and even made some seriously good cooked bananna treats.

So, you're worst nightmare is waking up in a strange bed, seeing Chuck lying next to you wearing a minuscule thingy, doing a stripe while humming "Sweet child of mine"?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:43 pm 

I had a girlfriend that would bring foil, oranges, and a jar of mixed cake batter when we went camping. She would slice the orange in half, with the stem part at the top, and ease the fruit out of both halves. Then she would fill the lower half with cake batter, replace the top half skin, then wrap the whole thing in foil and set it in the fire for about 15 minutes, and when they came out they looked like snowballs, but were orange flavored cake. Very tasty, but I am a pie guy, so I dumped her.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:57 pm 

I saw a Lady on TV once, She did foil cookery in the dishwasher.
When the dishes were done, Dinner was ready too.

Cheers!

thefirebuilds wrote:
your memory creeps me out kinda.

I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:44 pm 

Wow, this is an awesome thread! I wonder how well this would work with a potato, with the onion in with the meat?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:02 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I don't know why I didn't remember this until now:

http://www.amazon.com/Manifold-Destiny-Guide-Cooking-Engine/dp/0375751408

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:32 pm 

Get some stew (cubed) meat- beef or venison; you could even use pork or chicken, even high-quality cuts of meat if you feel like cubing it yourself.

Wrap vegetables and meat in a sheet of foil, leaving the top open for the time being.

Roll the top edges of the foil together to seal the packet. You could also double-wrap it in foil if you wanted, but this makes it a little difficult to check the progress if the opening sections aren't lined up.

Put 'em on the grill. It usually takes about a half-hour or a little more to cook them, and no side dishes are needed. Everything cooks in the packet, flavors mingle and it comes out delicious.[/quote]

+100

good stuff.Easy to do and damm good.

Shit..its after midnight and now im hungry..lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:53 pm 

purplemountain wrote:

Put 'em on the grill. It usually takes about a half-hour or a little more to cook them, and no side dishes are needed. Everything cooks in the packet, flavors mingle and it comes out delicious.

+100

good stuff.Easy to do and damm good.

Shit..its after midnight and now im hungry..lol[/quote]
Darn me too... Foil now added to bob.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:55 pm 

How about cooking with foil and a blowtorch? I really don't like to use foil at all. Acid foods will leach aluminum into themselves, and aluminum has been positively associated with Alzheimer's. It's not as if anyone needs any help making themselves harder to get along with as they get older, much less placing themselves into a less cognizant state...although if I'm reading correctly, some of you may be paying to enter such a state at random times and on weekends...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:00 am 

My very first apartment didn't have a stove, but it did have a porcelain kitchen sink with a built-in porcelain drainboard. The drainboard made a great surface for cooking with foil and a clothes iron. Put foil-wrapped dinner on the drainboard, put the iron on top, come back in a few minutes to flip and cook the other side.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:49 pm 

We called them 'hobo dinners' way back when the rocks were soft......

Ground beef, potatos, onions, celery and/or carrots. Wrapped in foil and put them on the coals.

I have also done this a few times at various jobs, salmon and potatos in foil on linemelt (electric furnace for keeping iron molten) and venison and corn/onion potato nixture in foil on top of a die at a plasctic extrusion plant. With the linemelt, didn't need to flip, but you did on the die.

2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:05 pm 

Chef wrote:
I don't know why I didn't remember this until now:

Is that a Ford Probe or a Mazda? That looks just like the engine bay of my long-gone Ford Probe SE.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:48 pm 

You know, I had a garage sale a while back and this van pulls up with a family inside...and a barbecue pit welded to the rear bumper. They had taken about a 12" pipe and made a pit welded onto an upright pole...it was smoking away as they riffled through junk...maybe it's harder to put foil wrapped food onto a van's engine?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:42 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Used to do this all the time when I was in the scouts. Thanks for the reminder.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:09 am 

Something I used to when on fishing trips when I was a kid. Take your filets and put them in a foil packet, coat with some sort of salad dressing and sprinkle crushed potatoe chips on top. Then cook.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:34 am 

Yum! Brings back memories of foil cooking as a scout on the Colorado. Those were the days man... onionburger is a cool trick though.

M1A/9mm/Green Wire/Pie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:14 pm 

RogerK wrote:
We called them 'hobo dinners' way back when the rocks were soft......

Ground beef, potatos, onions, celery and/or carrots. Wrapped in foil and put them on the coals.

And cheese, you forgot cheese. I'm really glad I found this thread, I forgot all about these things. Think I may have to fire up a few of them this weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:17 am 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

How awesome! I will try this at the next Girl Scout campout! We LOVE Hobo Dinners cooked in the coals, but would have been looking for other ideas. This is PERFECT!

ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:50 pm 

Ive cooked many of things with foil. Steaks, chickens and bacons.

My favorite way of cooking with foil is wrapping my meat in the foil and throw in some seasoning. Usually whatever is nearest to me. Such as a splash of beer or Dr. Pepper. Dig a hole in the coals of my fire and bury it in there for about 15 - 20 mins. Dig up and enjoy the tasty meats.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:16 pm 

dogbane wrote:
I recently attended a workshop at the Schiele Museum of Natural History in Gastonia, North Carolina, where I learned to cook with foil. My favorite was the hamburger cooked in an onion.

First, I hollowed out a yellow onion:

Packed one half with ground beef:

Put the other half on top:

Cooked on open coals for 20 minutes to a half an hour:

Then unwrapped it and ate it. Unfortunately, I was hungry and wolfed the thing down before I thought to take a picture of the delicious finished product. The vegetarians cooked eggs in their onions, which seemed to turn out all right.

But here's a picture of a nifty foil-and-stick frying pan that worked quite well:

We also made meatloaf on a stick by packing a paste made of ground beef, a crushed slice of bread, an egg, and salt and pepper on the end of a green stick, wrapping with foil, and setting it over the fire with a forked stick as a fulcrum, weighted at the base. It had to cook a little longer than the items in the coals--about 45 minutes. The meatloaf was very moist and tasty, but unfortunately it was a demonstration model, and there was only a little to go around.

[Edited to fix photobucket links, to add text, and to correct some spelling and syntax problems. Too bad I didn't do all of that before it went into the ZS feed!]

Old thread but I saw it a few days ago when it was reanimated... Anyhow, I followed your guide this weekend and let one of my kids do this. We mixed 2 pounds of 97/ 3 ground beef, to minimize grease leakage, with a small can of tomato paste and some of the onion hearts minced up along with a little salt and pepper and a whole egg and filled four large yellow onions. While they smelled great and they tasted great, the best part was when my boy pulled the onion top off of one of them and was amazed at how awesome the ground beef resembled a brain sitting in it's skull.

It's not how much food you have in your house it's how bad the people without want to take it from you.
ImageImage Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress
Victory or Valhalla.