Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shotgun Wall Mount?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:49 am 

I swear somewhere on this site I saw a pic once of a 2x4 block on a wall near a door of a house, with a metal spring loaded clamp type thing holding a shotgun vertically by the barrel.. i can't seem to find it though, wanting to do something similar inside of a cabinet.. wondering if anyone might remember the pic, or have pics of something similar? The gun's a Maverick 88 if it helps..

Post subject: Re: Shotgun Wall Mount?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:00 am 

Mossberg Loc Box?

i cant find a pic but it sounds like u described. theres several other company's that make their own variation of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:11 am 

Those are nice, I'd definitely get one of I had any younger brothers or sisters here.. but noone even comes in my room, I have an entertainment center with one side that swings open, and it's tall enough where inside that door I could mount my shotgun, but I want it easily accessible for just opening door/grabbing.. the clamp I saw in the pic was more like a C clamp made for holding a small flashlight, except of course a shotgun is heavier, but I could build a bottom base/shelf for supporting the weight I guess, mainly looking for the padded clamp to hold the gun secure and not fall over.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:23 am 

FOUND IT!!

Anyone know the name of that kind of clamp? Or where I could find one?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:24 am 

I have used a Mossberg Loc Box for a couple of years to keep my shotgun next to the bed. They work great -unlocked when I am home and locked when I leave. When unlocked it is very easy to quickly remove the shotgun. You can't see it in the picture but there is a hook that you slide the barrel in when you place the shotgun in the box. This is designed to help prevent someone from being able to grab the barrel and try and pull the whole thing off the wall. Definitely worth the $35 or so I spent on it:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:27 am 

WhyNotFab wrote:
Anyone know the name of that kind of clamp? Or where I could find one?

Giant spring Grip.
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/1409713

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:37 am 

That would scratch the barrel wouldn't it? Any ideas to prevent that? Might eventually get the lock box.. but for now just something quick and cheap mainly..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:21 am 

WhyNotFab wrote:

That would scratch the barrel wouldn't it? Any ideas to prevent that? Might eventually get the lock box.. but for now just something quick and cheap mainly..

You could try this https://www.hardwareworld.com/Plastic-Dip-145-Ounce-Red-pEC0UDE.aspx
Just paint in on, or dip the clamp in, just keep the hinges clear and try to keep it open when you dip it to get the the coat the whole thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:34 am 

That stuff ^^ or get some thick foam or rubber tape.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:03 am 

Pretty cool mount.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:27 am 

Here's the mount that I bought and installed:
http://www.santacruzgunlocks.com/setups/select/home.html
It has the 12v release installed. I plan on hooking it up at my next house with a hidden switch or a numeric keypad. Right now it's set up for key use only.
FWIW, when I bought this thing a little over a year ago, I was told that they were going to try to release one that has a keychain remote. I don't know if that's available yet or not, but it wouldn't be too difficult to wire in a used car remote unit...

I also bought a couple of these off of Ebay. They also have the 12v release.
http://www.santacruzgunlocks.com/products/locks/pump.html
The cuff style lock (first link) is much more solid. I believe these are made from cast aluminum.

One more possibility:
http://www.raclocked.com/store/1917479/product/NG-93000056
(I've not looked into it, I just ran across this link while looking for the Santacruz stuff)

Edit to add: the Mossberg unit and the squad-car style mount are both good units. They will keep the gun safe, assuming you're only trying to keep it out of friendly or curious hands (kids...). I didn't feel that either of them would really prevent theft. I realize that the home mount that I used won't prevent theft either, but it'll be much more difficult and take more time to defeat than the other two.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:46 am 

You could probably put some soft velcro on the clamps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am 

And while you're at it...

Get a couple of pairs of those spring brackets and use them for your flashlights.

I bought several similar clips (made for broom and mop handles, etc). I found a couple that were the perfect size for my Surefire, and another couple to hold loaded pistol magazines. I installed them on the inside face of my nightstand drawer. Now the light and my reloads are right where I expect them to be.

They worked so well for my flashlight that I bought several more for use in my safe, in my car, and in or near my toolbox. My flashlights have a tendancy to wander off if they don't have a home :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:09 pm 

All of the parts of the Loc Box that the shotgun actually contacts are either padded or covered in rubber (like ceiling hooks for bicycles). It won't scratch the barrel or any other part of your shotgun. As for security, the only way anyone is going to get it off the wall without a key is with a reciprocating saw. It is attached to the wall with large lag screws in the wall studs. It may be possible to get it off with a large pry bar but it will take a while and you will still need the saw to get the box off the receiver.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:53 pm 

Cavediver wrote:
It has the 12v release installed. I plan on hooking it up at my next house with a hidden switch or a numeric keypad. Right now it's set up for key use only.
FWIW, when I bought this thing a little over a year ago, I was told that they were going to try to release one that has a keychain remote. I don't know if that's available yet or not, but it wouldn't be too difficult to wire in a used car remote unit...

The cuff style lock (first link) is much more solid. I believe these are made from cast aluminum.

One more possibility:
(I've not looked into it, I just ran across this link while looking for the Santacruz stuff)

Edit to add: the Mossberg unit and the squad-car style mount are both good units. They will keep the gun safe, assuming you're only trying to keep it out of friendly or curious hands (kids...). I didn't feel that either of them would really prevent theft. I realize that the home mount that I used won't prevent theft either, but it'll be much more difficult and take more time to defeat than the other two.

How could you make the second or third lock usable for an ar-15? I do not have the space for a large gun cabinet, but still want to keep my firearms safe. Is there a way to keep a cable lock to keep the upper/lower together? BTW, flat-top upper on the AR

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:37 pm 

nimdabew wrote:
How could you make the second or third lock usable for an ar-15? I do not have the space for a large gun cabinet, but still want to keep my firearms safe. Is there a way to keep a cable lock to keep the upper/lower together? BTW, flat-top upper on the AR

I really don't know about the cable / AR thing.
They make the squad car lock with a larger opening and custom inserts. You can use them with shotties or rifles.
The cuff lock will work too. It's plenty big enough to hold an AR, assuming it's in the right location.

If I have a chance this weekend I'll try to put my AR in to my mount and take a couple of pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:14 pm 

Cavediver wrote:

One more possibility:

I'm not seeing a 12V option anywhere on that site. Can you provide a link? That is exactly what I am looking for (even started a thread on this topic today).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:32 pm 

HBEnfield wrote:
I'm not seeing a 12V option anywhere on that site. Can you provide a link? That is exactly what I am looking for (even started a thread on this topic today).

For the cuff lock (SC-5) http://www.santacruzgunlocks.com/products/locks/universal.html
Quote:
Lock activation is either electric or manual. An electric pushbutton and 2 keys are shipped with the lock. The two ways to open the lock (electric or manual) are working independently from each other.

The whole 12v thing is a simple solenoid that disengages the lock mechanism. The cuff style lock is available with or without it, so make sure you specify.

Call them and talk to one of their reps. They were very helpful!

Also for what it's worth, buying one of the squad car mounts from ebay will usually leave you without a key, forcing you to use the electric option. Santa Cruz will not send you a key either...