Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:17 am 

The Savage Model 24 is a popular break action rifle/shotgun over/under produced by the Savage Arms Company since 1939 which has sold over 1 million copies. Though redesigned and having several production stops over the decades, it is still produced to this day.

The modern version has a hammer-select system for choosing which barrel will be fired. This was done to overcome some of the issues with the button select rifle. It is offered in a number of calibers

The example in the pictures that follows is the earlier button select style in .22LR/.410. It was my grandfather's, my father's, and now mine. It is a darling little double with a scary accurate .22 barrel.

The Rifle.

In order to break down the rifle, first you will want to pull down on the foreend. It comes away with little effort.

One you remove the foreend, set it aside and the operate the release lever, located behind the hammer.

This will allow the barrel to swing away from the stock, trigger, and hammer assemblies.

You have now stripped a Savage Model 24.

Reverse the order to put it back together.

As a note:

When I clean this rifle, there are two additional places that I pay special attention to other than the barrels. One section is the faceplate containing the firing pins.

I apologise for the poor picture, but this was the best I could get. You will notice the firing pin recess for the .410 in the lower half of the picture. In the flashed out section at the top, there is a smaller circle. In the center of this circle is the .22lr firing pin. I spray both of these sections with CLP Breakfree and let it soak in before scrubbing with a nylon brush, cotton swabs and a plastic pick. I can always remove some kind of crud from in there.

The other place I scrutinize is the hammer well behind the firing pins. Being open it collects dust and lint and can lead to mis-fires and light primer strikes. Again, I spray it with CLP, let it soak in, and the clean out anything that looks like it doesn't belong.

Operating

Use the release lever to break open the barrel.

The barrel will then swing open. Here is a shot from the operators end:

Then you will want to insert your ammunition. In this example a .22lr is loaded into the top barrel. I do not have any .410 at the moment, so cannot load the bottom barrel.

When the round is in position, it will sit against the ejector located to the left of the barrel.

Closing the action will finish seating the round in the chamber. At this time you will need to cock the hammer by pulling back on it.

You will want to insure that the button selector is in the Up position, as it is in this photo.

In the down position, the .410 barrel will be fired when the hammer is cocked and trigger pulled. (I know in these picture there is little to distinguish these two position. When operating the rifle there is only a 1/4" difference between the two position.)

With a round loaded, the proper barrel selected, and the hammer pulled back, you will fire the round. You must cock the hammer for every shot.
In order to unload the rifle, whether to remove spent casings or live ammunition to make it safe, you break the action open as above and remove the rounds.

For fun I at the range I like to load both barrels, take a 50yard shot with the .22 and follow it up as quickly as I can with the .410 at a close range target.

I will also be trying out both barrels like this in the fall on Bushytails if all goes well.

Last edited by spartan on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:24 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

How Do ya load it then?

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:34 am 

Give me a few minutes to take some new pictures and I will update the original post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:36 am 

Ad'lan wrote:
How Do ya load it then?

Single shot break barrel

Just like a break barrel shotgun or one of those fancy Thomson Contenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:58 am 

Something like that would be perfect for hunting spruce grouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:11 pm 

quazi wrote:
Something like that would be perfect for hunting spruce grouse.

They are available from time to time locally for $300-400 and are running about the same on Gunbroker. Sadly, a few years ago, used examples like this were running $150-200.

I want one in .223 over 12ga, but those are running $500+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:21 pm 

thanks for the good information spartan...I have the same exact gun and the f act that I dont know much about guns made your info very useful!