What did you today for your BOV/how did you prepare your BOV

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Re: What did you today for your BOV/how did you prepare your BOV

Post by moab » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:13 pm

EBuff75 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:06 pm
moab wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:41 am
New off road tires is on my list for my Jeep. I want to get the Patagonia M/T tires. Doing a tune up and replacing one of the upstream O2 sensors today. Trying to improve my mpg. It's brutal. I'm driving from gas station to gas station. lol.
Yeah, there were two options for the Grabber A/Tx tires - SL (Standard Load) and E. Since I don't tow or do any real off-roading or towing, there wasn't any need for the heavier load range E tires. There is an 11 pound difference per tire between those, so it should help my MPG or at least not make it any worse! As an added benefit, the SL tires are about $40/tire cheaper. Now I just need to send in the $100 rebate that General is offering right now. With that rebate, the tires ended up being $130 apiece, which is pretty good for AT tires (although that doesn't include disposal, warranty, and tax, which adds about $50/tire onto the cost).
Ya. Tire prices are ridiculous. Goodyear Duratracs and BFG's are the touted tires in the Jeep world. But these Patagonias are getting good reviews and on sale for around $100 a piece. I can't afford $200 tires. I just can't. To many other things to spend money on. And the Patagonia's are at least reviewed to not be loud on the freeway. And still good offroad. Right now I'm running a set of new wheels and tires off a JK. The ones that come stock. They are street tires though. But they only cost about $300. Wheels and tires. Until I can afford a new set of Patagonia's. I'll be running the cheap throw aways.lol.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:12 pm

Best future BOV - I (not I) can't make up my mind here:

2016 Jeep - Patriot Sport

2011 Toyota - RAV4

2009 Hyundai - Santa Fe Limited

moab

Post by moab » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:41 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:12 pm

2011 Toyota - RAV4

Cargo space and mpg. Check consumerreports.org for reviews on each. GEt a Carfax and pay for a vehicle inspection at the sellers local dealership. +I'd also look at production numbers and see which one is most likely to have parts even after they run out.

I know nothing about these three SUV's. But I'd say the Toyota. They are known to be bulletproof. TOyota's that is. I have no idea how this model is rated by CR. I own a Jeep TJ with 4x4. But I know nothing of the quality of the Patriot. Do any of these come with 4 wheel drive? I'd opt for that for sure.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:52 pm

MPMalloy wrote:

2011 Toyota - RAV4

I wouldn't even consider the Patriot. Other than the fact they have been discontinued it is the one of the bunch I see most often broken down on the side of the road. It is the lowest rated for reliability among the three. If you go the Jeep route I would get a better model like a Wrangler. The Patriot also has terrible resale value.

With the other two it comes down to MPG vs power. If you need the power for hill climbing or hauling stuff the Toyota won't have it. If you drive the posted speed limit on mostly highways and don't need the extra power the Toyota will save you money.

The Hyundai is the most reliable and safest of the three by a comfortable margin. Of course it is also the oldest of three so it may have more problems you are not aware of.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:02 pm

MPMalloy wrote:

2011 Toyota - RAV4

I'd avoid the Jeep. Their rep for reliability the last few years isn't re-assuring.

I'd probably go with the Toyota because I think Rav4s are the best-selling crossover for the last few years, which should help ensure parts either remain in production or can be scavenged.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:08 am

MPMalloy wrote:

2011 Toyota - RAV4

The only one I would seriously consider on that list is the Hyundai. Secondly, I don't like CarMax and I am not a fan of those prices. Then again, I'm a cheap ass.

2016 Patriot: That 2.4L is a Hyundai/Kia sourced block. Look up the "Global Engine Alliance" for Fiat/Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Kia/Hyundai. Also, if it's the 6 speed, it's a Hyundai tranny. If it has the simulated low range, then it's a shitty CVT. I didn't run the VIN to see what it has. Not a terrible car if you get the 6 speed Hyundai since it has sorta a Hyundai 4 banger (even though those catch fire: Hyundai Theta engines). But I wouldn't pay that price. I'd pay like $10k off Craigslist and run it til it dies.

2011 Rav4: Those generation Rav4's are awesome........ in a V6 (which your link did not have). If you can get a v6, they are reliable and very very potent. Butttt....That shitty 2.4L 4 banger eats oil and is slow as turd (I think there may even be a class action suit for burning oil in the 2.4). Run away from that unless you can get it at half price. Plus the AWD system is borderline useless, so you might as well save money and gas and get the FWD version.

2009 Hyundai: I love this car. Get it only in the V6 (which that is). That 3.3 (Hyundai Lambda engines) is shared with the Sonata and go look for 300k mile sonatas... they are everywhere. It's a good engine if you change the oil, plus it has a timing chain where older Kia/Hyundai ran knock-off Mitsubishi engines with timing belts (Hyundai Delta engines). Good news about that V6 is it is not GDI so you dont have to worry about carbon deposits (it is MPI). Also, it has a decent AWD system. Cant' remember when DynaMax got involved with Hyundai/Kia, which is a phenomenal system, but even if it isn't a Dynamax, it is still really good.

Like I said, I hate CarMax and you'll pay about $3000 more for those cars than shopping autotrader or craigslist. But, I have really bad OCD (the obsessive part) and have literally spent weeks researching used cars before I make my move.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:09 pm

I dig all of the above. Those who are helping me purchase the vehicle are *stuck* on CR & CM.

ETA: The purchase limit was just increased.

a little.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:49 pm

I replaced my jump start battery I purchased in 2014 with a new model.

I had to use the old on a 3rd party and it failed. It was 5 years old & said it had a full charge but ...it was a 5 year old lead acid battery. I was not surprised when it failed.

I bought one of these. I was torn between one of the newer batteryless high power capacitor types but opted for this one despite the fact I have to charge it monthly.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

I really like these but I am concerned that in my area batteries fail due to heat and I am not sure a battery with a dead cell will charge this type of device in that case. That and in the dead cell instance I have seen a need for a lot more cranking amp power than the typical 600.

https://smile.amazon.com/autowit-Portab ... 171&sr=8-3

moab

Post by moab » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:56 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:09 pm
I dig all of the above. Those who are helping me purchase the vehicle are *stuck* on CR & CM.

ETA: The purchase limit was just increased.

a little.
I can't stress this enough. "GEt a Carfax and pay for a vehicle inspection at the sellers local dealership.". Also follow Jeepers advice and use Craigslist. The vast majority of cars for sale these days are on CL. Buy a low mileage car from a private party and have it carfaxed and checked out at the local dealership. No used car lot - including carmax - has any obligation to tell what all is wrong with the car. Quite the contrary it's there job to hide everything that is wrong with the car. I bought off carmax once for a friend. Only good thing was we were able to take the car back within a certain time. Like 24 hours. But that may have been a CA thing. IDK. IT was a POS.

Also search CL for price. At least compare it to what your getting at carmax. I guarantee your getting taken to the cleaners at carmax.

Run your own carfax first. It can tell you SO MUCH about a car. Whether it's been wrecked, repaired, salvaged in another state, and/or how much maintenance has been done. Best 40 bucks you'll ever spend.

Just say to the CL sellers. "I'd like to pay for a vehicle inspection at your local dealership." If the balk walk away. IT's that simple. But when you say it like that they never say no. Unless they are hiding something. I would not buy anything in excess of 10k without first having it checked out by a professional. To insure that it's in complete working order. Whether I bought from a private party or a car lot. Including carmax.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:14 pm

raptor wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:49 pm

I bought one of these. I was torn between one of the newer batteryless high power capacitor types but opted for this one despite the fact I have to charge it monthly.

I bought essentially the 800A version of yours back in May of 2018. It lasted a year before it refused to charge. Bought a replacement for it that's identical to what you bought, just a different name, and the first time it needed to be used it was inaccessible because the only door on our new Jeep that can be unlocked with an actual key is the driver's door, and it was in the back with the spare tire. My wife got someone to climb far enough over the driver's seat to unlock a rear passenger door with the manual button and then he was able to lower the other rear seat and move stuff around enough to get to the hatch emergency release cable. Once they got the hatch open they dug the unit out and hooked it up (it had been charged a week previously), let it charge the Jeep's batteries a little (wife left a portable 12v cooler plugged in overnight, which drained both the cabin battery and the start battery for some reason) got half a crank out of it and the thing was dead. Then the AAA truck arrived and he tried his battery pack with similar results. Everything was too dead. I told the wife (via text since she was in Idaho and I was here) to let the guy use jumper cables. (A Jeep tech I know warned to only use them as a last resort since it can damage the electronics with voltage surges.) I figured it was better to do that than to try and tow it or put it on a flatbed without being able to secure the air suspension system or get the diffs into neutral and the potential damage that could happen. We have a warranty on the vehicle that would probably cover the electronics in such a case, but not the other things. The Jeep finally started with a jump and the wife was able to drive it directly to a dealer to get the computers reflashed, since a lot of things were inop and all the displays were garbled.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:38 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:14 pm
... the first time it needed to be used it was inaccessible because the only door on our new Jeep that can be unlocked with an actual key is the driver's door, and it was in the back with the spare tire.
Hmmm... I had not considered that possibility. The rear hatch only opens if there is power. I need to think this one through some more.

I change my battery every 3 years before they fail but they can still fail due to a defect.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:46 pm

raptor wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:49 pm
I replaced my jump start battery I purchased in 2014 with a new model.

I had to use the old on a 3rd party and it failed. It was 5 years old & said it had a full charge but ...it was a 5 year old lead acid battery. I was not surprised when it failed.

I really like these but I am concerned that in my area batteries fail due to heat and I am not sure a battery with a dead cell will charge this type of device in that case. That and in the dead cell instance I have seen a need for a lot more cranking amp power than the typical 600.

https://smile.amazon.com/autowit-Portab ... 171&sr=8-3
I have never had any luck with those micro jump packs. They seem to work a few times and then never again. I could also forget about starting a V8 with a dead battery with one. I do better with US branded items as opposed to no name stuff that always seems to fail.

I do have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-PPRH5-Pr ... T85GBVYPTW

I must say it has been pretty reliable and pretty awesome. It offers a solution to three of the biggest problems people have on the side of the road: Dead battery, flat tire, no charge for their cell phone. I use it about once a week on average.
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:55 pm

Now I am down to :

2013 Nissan Rogue S

2009 Volvo S40 2.4i

The lomger this goes on, the more desicions are being made for me. There is no reasoning here. Reasonable. I would like them to be reasonable.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:32 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:55 pm
Now I am down to :

2013 Nissan Rogue S

2009 Volvo S40 2.4i

The lomger this goes on, the more desicions are being made for me. There is no reasoning here. Reasonable. I would like them to be reasonable.
RUNNNNNN away from that Rogue. They use Jatco CVTs (which are owned by Nissan) which are awful. Those Trannies are turd, which is a whole other rant that would take too long to type. The rogue could be a decent option if you got it for like $6000. But no way would I pay that price.

The Volvo can be a decent car. That 5 cylinder engine is pretty solid, I want to say it shares lots of parts with it's old corporate overlord Ford. But not sure if that makes maintenance any cheaper. I always loved Volvo, and almost bought one, until you look a the price of parts and repair. They are expensive to own. If you go Volvo, go certified pre-owned from a Volvo dealer because lots of times you get a maintenance and warranty package. You will not get that from CarMax.

I would purchase neither of those.
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:57 pm

MP, I've been shopping for a new car on and off over the last year. I've been looking for small/medium AWD/4WD suv/crossovers that are cheap, reliable, and easy to fix.

This is the list I created. I looked at reliability overall, and didn't really care about features. My budget was generally the rule of 10's: Under $10,000, under 10 years old, under 100,000 miles. Some models, I broke that rule depending on circumstance. Some were much easier than others, but I watched Autotrader for dealerships for new/quick trade ins and Craigslist for private sales. For private sales, I would inspect the background of the pictures and check grammar in the ad. If someone had a nice lawn with good grammar, chances are they weren't a piece of shit. When I test drive private sellers cars, I try to meet them at their house so I can judge how they take care of their things.

Here's my list of top prospects, in no order:

Big SUVs
2006-2010 Ford Explorer, 4.0 v6 or 4.6 v8 (included mercury mountaineer)
2007-2012 Hyundai Santa Fe, 3.3 or 3.5 v6
2007-2009 Kia Sorento, 3.3 or 3.8 v6
2010-2014 Kia Sorento, 3.3 or 3.5 v6
2000-2007 Toyota Highlander, 3.3 v6
2003-2008 and 2009-2015 Honda Pilot, 3.5 v6
2011-current Jeep Grand Cherokee, 3.6 v6

Small SUVs
2009-2012 Ford Escape, 3.0v6 preferred, could settle for 2.5i4 (includes Mercury Mariner and Mazda Tribute)
**The 2008 started the the 2nd gen, but still used gen 1 stuff under the skin. So go with the 2009 or newer
2001-2006 and 2006-2011 Honda CRV, any trim
2005-2011 Toyota Rav4, ONLY with the v6

Wildcards: Ford edge with the v6, Nissan Xterra post 2012 to avoid the transmission scandal, Toyota 4Runenr or FJ if you can ever find a deal.

Obviously, this is just my list and there are other awesome options out there.

My favorite for a reliable but cheap ride is the 2nd Gen Escapes and it's corporate cousins. You can find them cheap with low miles. And ford sol 300,000/year... so they are everywhere

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:05 pm

I have an FJ Cruiser, other than lousy gas mileage and running well on premium only I have zero complaints. It has been relegated to toy mode these days but it is every bit as good as a jeep off road.
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:36 am

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:46 pm

I have never had any luck with those micro jump packs. They seem to work a few times and then never again. I could also forget about starting a V8 with a dead battery with one. I do better with US branded items as opposed to no name stuff that always seems to fail.

I do have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-PPRH5-Pr ... T85GBVYPTW

I must say it has been pretty reliable and pretty awesome. It offers a solution to three of the biggest problems people have on the side of the road: Dead battery, flat tire, no charge for their cell phone. I use it about once a week on average.
The 3 problems are indeed typical:
I have a separate 12 volt air pump that use all the time. It seems gas stations do not have air pumps anymore. A simple 12 volt $12.99 air pump from Wally world has lasted over a decade for my purposes.

The biggest issue for me is a battery with a dead cell. The heat here generally limits battery life to 3 summers. A cell will die and then you cannot get enough voltage to even get the lights to go on. Jumper cables require someone to help you. That is why I turned to the jump start devices. The lead acid ones I have used require a monthly charge and even then it is a crap shoot if they have enough of a charge.

I really like the idea of the batteryless capacitor jump start boxes but I am afraid they will not have the power to jump start a car with a dead cell. I ditched v-8s a while back but the high compression turbo V-6 in my experience also require a lot of power to start. The best answer I guess to have both jumper cables and a jump start box in the vehicle. That and routine replacement of the battery.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:42 pm

I ditched v-8s a while back
You should revisit that next time you are in the market. I had also gotten away from V8s from the late 90s until the last five years. The modern V8s are typically more fuel efficient than their V6 counterparts, last longer and provide much more power. When I am driving on the highway it will cut off whatever cylinders I am not using and there is zero lag if I need the power suddenly for some reason.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:54 pm

Just spent close to $400 on tire chains for it. 7mm boron alloy square links ain't cheap. :shock:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:26 pm

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:05 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:26 pm
2011 Nissan Xterra S

2014 Nissan Murano S

Surrrrrrvey SAYS?!?!!
Xterra: great vehicles. The 2005-2010 had transmission issues (class action suit) due to radiator lines cracking and leaking into the tranny, detonating it. Happened to my parent's Pathfinder. I think it's resolved on 2011. Other than that, they are my favorite vehicle.

Murano: good engine, terrible CVT. Stay away from CVTs. If you must get a CVT, get a Toyota or Subaru, maybe Honda. Nothing from Jatco (Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Nissan).

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:32 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:26 pm
2011 Nissan Xterra S

2014 Nissan Murano S

Surrrrrrvey SAYS?!?!!
The daily driver off road semi-capable vs Off road capable semi-daily driver.

Form follows function, I suppose.
You go over and under
I go through

Ghostdog914
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Ghostdog914 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:12 am

For my 2004 Dodge 1500 4x4 I just finished changing the oil, but more importantly ordered a complete front end rebuild. They can be a pain in the ass to install but at 263k miles it’s time. Once it’s together and aligned I’m ordering some tires from TreadWright.
you're never out numbered its just a target rich environment

Return to “Transportation”