Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups cause all the rage!

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms Chat Part 2: Bullpups are all the rage!

Post by Rednex » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:28 pm

Buddy of mine went to a local place they had a few Glock 42's, and they were all on hold waiting for people that already put down payments on them to pick them up.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

raxar

Post by raxar » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:53 pm

So, at the gunshop today a guy had his SBR AR, equipped with 2 identical flashlights. I said mall-ninja, he said no, what say ye?
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:38 pm

0122358 wrote:Chimp...pics of your new gat man...I'm jelly!

Also, I'm, looking into a S&W SD9 for an HD gun...
I'll try to get some pics of my AK next week. I got some family coming in Sunday for a visit so it'll probably be either Monday or Tuesday before I can get the pic uploaded.
Last edited by 12_Gauge_Chimp on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:53 pm

So you can't afford an AK? How about newspaper?
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:56 pm

RickOShea wrote:Ordered a bunch of M&P 9 magazines from Midway (now that they're back "in stock").......Now just need to decide which M&P 9 to get. Can't decide on whether to get a regular model and swap the sights and possibly the trigger on it, or just try out a Pro model......1st-world problems. :ooh:
So I am not the only one with magazines for weapons I don't have yet but am seriously thinking about maybe getting one day. Maybe.
raxar wrote:So, at the gunshop today a guy had his SBR AR, equipped with 2 identical flashlights. I said mall-ninja, he said no, what say ye?
Sorry what did you say, I can't hear you over the sound of all these LUMENS!
Last edited by Das Sheep on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:56 pm

raxar wrote:So, at the gunshop today a guy had his SBR AR, equipped with 2 identical flashlights. I said mall-ninja, he said no, what say ye?
Extraneous. Just go with a single quality flashlight.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:03 pm

Dogan wrote:So since Glocks are still in their "two years ago you were a $350 pistol now you're a $600 pistol because reasons" phase, what do you all think of a S&W SD9VE as my first CC/training pistol?

It feels good to my hands, has a round on the comparably sized G19, and I've heard generally good things about it (except the trigger, which can be fixed with $20 and the wonderful company known as Apex). Plus my LGS has one for $335, a shelf above their $650 G19.

Thoughts?
Your or any of your loved ones can't get Blue Label glocks?

raxar

Post by raxar » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:09 pm

Das Sheep wrote: Sorry what did you say, I can't hear you over the sound of all these LUMENS!

I may have insulted him, The guy who owns it had the rifle sitting on the counter and I pointed at it and asked the guy who works there "who's the mall ninja". It's owner then picked it up and caressed it for about 15 minutes and got got very defensive.

I will say the guy had quality parts on it, no tapco crap.
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:58 pm

Dave_M wrote:An adjustable gas block is the answer. If your rifle runs Wolf with no modifications it's overgassed with quality brass.
I don't think such a thing exists yet for the judengeweher, unfortunately.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

hoofibou

Post by hoofibou » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:10 pm

So I answered my own question. On the The Firearm Blog the Glock 42 was listed with a MSRP of 475, which explains why every time I see one listed at $399 they disappear slightly faster than the ones listed at $489. Still $489 seems high when I have seen multiple listings online and one in a local gun store ranging in prices of $399 and $434.

On I different Glock topic, I remember in the last Firearms Chat we were talking about used Glock 22's Gen 2 for sale at $299. I found a place that has used Gen 3 Glock 22's for sale at $319 with two mags. I ordered one and should have it some time next week. I'll let you all know how the gun works out for me.

https://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.as ... -GLOCK22G3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:32 pm

crypto wrote:
Dave_M wrote:An adjustable gas block is the answer. If your rifle runs Wolf with no modifications it's overgassed with quality brass.
I don't think such a thing exists yet for the judengeweher, unfortunately.
Perhaps if it remains uber popular the aftermarket will take care of it. I'm somewhat surprised that you didn't already get it overgassed as shit like 99% of the weapons we have are. Gas port sizes increase with use so at -some point- you should be able to feed it shit box ammo. Are there lighter recoil spring assemblies available? If so that might solve your problem even though you'll be playing the swap game when changing ammunition.

I can count on one hand the AR manufacturers that bias towards the small end regarding gas volume for commercial sales.
Dave Merrill

Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:36 pm

No, IWI straight up says Wolf will short stroke it. I was just surprised because I've seen Braxton literally put thousands of rounds of Wolf through his without problems.

And no, I haven't seen any aftermarket recoil springs either, yet.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:38 pm

raxar wrote:
Das Sheep wrote:Sorry what did you say, I can't hear you over the sound of all these LUMENS!
I may have insulted him, The guy who owns it had the rifle sitting on the counter and I pointed at it and asked the guy who works there "who's the mall ninja". It's owner then picked it up and caressed it for about 15 minutes and got got very defensive.

I will say the guy had quality parts on it, no tapco crap.
So he was a well-read mall ninja. My stuff has had it's share of dumb configurations in the name of firsthand research due to stubbornness. Sometimes it's smart to figure out what works for you, and sometimes it's smart to... uh... listen to Dave, so to speak.

If he really was "caressing" it, then that's weird. It's like the definition of weird. I don't caress my guns even alone, at night, in my bedroom, with a glass of scotch in the other hand. What I do is check them for Condition Two, put them back in their spot, and sleep well.

I do look at them approvingly for three to six seconds before I put them back, but that's as sexy as it gets. HK specifies that kind of interaction right in the manual, though.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:41 am

Dogan wrote:So since Glocks are still in their "two years ago you were a $350 pistol now you're a $600 pistol because reasons" phase, what do you all think of a S&W SD9VE as my first CC/training pistol?

If it's comfortable to shoot{and carry) go for it. I wouldn't though. Buy once cry once etc. For a little more you could get a M&P compact.

Also, $650 for Glocks? Like, for a G19? Where do you live?

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:44 am

PistolPete wrote:
crypto wrote:I got a lefty Tavor last week, its pretty awesome.

Problem is, it occasionally short-strokes on Wolf. That's not so good. I'm hoping its just tight because it's new, and as it loosens up it starts digesting it without a problem.

I don't want a rifle that cant eat everything.
You kids and your cheap ammo in expensive boutique rifles. It's like buying a Ferrari and then being annoyed when it won't achieve peak performance on 87 octane gas you bought out of a barrel in an alley in Mexico. :D
I love everything about this post. Or a 3 grand 1911 and using a flipflop for a holster.

ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:18 am

Unorthodox wrote:
PistolPete wrote:
crypto wrote:I got a lefty Tavor last week, its pretty awesome.

Problem is, it occasionally short-strokes on Wolf. That's not so good. I'm hoping its just tight because it's new, and as it loosens up it starts digesting it without a problem.

I don't want a rifle that cant eat everything.
You kids and your cheap ammo in expensive boutique rifles. It's like buying a Ferrari and then being annoyed when it won't achieve peak performance on 87 octane gas you bought out of a barrel in an alley in Mexico. :D
I love everything about this post. Or a 3 grand 1911 and using a flipflop for a holster.

I was about to make a point about it not being a match rifle, but then it made me realize I spent almost 2 grand on something made to be given to conscripts, and now I feel kind of bad.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:57 am

tagged
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:52 am

Okay, as far as two lights on a gun, I'm going to say not my cup of tea but not Mall Ninjer. Chris Costa and Travis haley have both said two lights. I get their reason too, apart from mags the next biggest piece of equipment to fail is the flash light. 90% of the time it's batteries. I just carry spare bats but I can see if you're extra paranoid having a light already mounted would quell that paranoia. I will not own a rifle that doesn't have irons, a way to mount a light and an optic. Even on my Ruger gunsite rifle. While not being main stream shooting, I get why someone would mount two lights. But then again if the constant flagging, not even having a flash light and bump firing represents mainstream shooting, I'd rather see someone over doing it with two lights than under doing.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

raxar

Post by raxar » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:00 pm

So I'm new to this whole accessory covered bull-pup thing

Am I doing it right?

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:59 pm

MF'N TEAM LEADER

eeb

Post by eeb » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:39 pm

Read about a few "KABBOOMS" lately, or maybe just a couple kabbooms reported several times, don't know that I'll be hopping on the bullpup bandwagon just yet. Sure, they're mostly due to obstructed barrels, and could be avoided with vigilance, but shit happens and I'd rather it not happen right beside my face. JMHO Prolly never have a problem.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:40 pm

I think my state is about to legalize SBRs...I know what im saving up for now
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:32 pm

0122358 wrote:I think my state is about to legalize SBRs...I know what im saving up for now
I would determine what barrel length you want and get your paperwork together now. Ideally you would get a sign off and submit the same day if/when SBR's become legal in your state.
Dave Merrill

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

Dave_M wrote:
0122358 wrote:I think my state is about to legalize SBRs...I know what im saving up for now
I would determine what barrel length you want and get your paperwork together now. Ideally you would get a sign off and submit the same day if/when SBR's become legal in your state.
Even though its not until june?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”