Recap of meeting (sorry it's brief!)
1) Monster Bash: We're going to have a table with literature and merchandise at the Monster Bash at Starlight Drive-In all day Sunday, June 3. We will have t-shirts, stickers, patches, and even some of the limited edition belt buckles for sale! We are also collecting money to benefit the Mitt Lenix Memorial Fund.
2) DragonCon: It's coming up fast! We need people in tactical gear or even ZS shirts etc. to participate in the Zombie Walk, which Zombie Squad co-hosts. We're really hoping to have a good showing at DragonCon so I encourage our members to come out! Also, we are scheduling a meet and greet dinner for our chapter members and the entourage of the founding St. Louis chapter. This will be a blast!
3) Other future events/stuff: Some activities were proposed and some are being worked on. These include: Little 5 Points Halloween Parade, a zombie flash mob, zombie-themed car wash, a charitable shooting range event, the zombie shoot in Dahlonega around Halloween, and some activities with Atlanta Zombie Apocalypse. We welcome any creative ideas for events or meetings.
4) Nelson spoke a bit about the Appleseed events. He would be more qualified to discuss that here.
5) Money: We need it! Currently all expenses for literature, merchandise, advertising, and any incidentals are being paid for by officers and we are tapped. We have so many ideas but very few can happen without some sort of treasury. We would welcome any donations anyone would like to make towards our operating expenses. As you may know, Zombie Squad is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, which does mean that donations made are tax-deductible. HOWEVER - and please note this because it's a biggy - we are not yet equipped to accept donations for tax-deduction purposes. It is my understanding that HQ is still waiting for our tax ID number and once that happens we will need to get some financial things in place at the chapter level to make this happen. So for now, if you want to make a donation, we can't give you a receipt for taxes but we MAY be able to sometime this year. I just want to be transparent about it!
6) Chapter specific merchandise: We have a design in mind for local t-shirts but don't have the graphic design expertise to make it happen. There is a shirt floating around that is Atlanta-specific that has been sold by HQ at DragonCon for the past couple of years and we are working on getting those down here before the next Con but we also would welcome any graphic designers who want to help us out. Also, see #5 about getting anything printed, be it stickers, t-shirts, or whatever that is chapter specific. If we can make merch to sell we can make money but we need money to get it started. Fun, huh?
7) Uniforms: We haven't abandoned the idea of uniforms and we are getting closer to deciding on the clothing items but aside from #5, we have been busy preparing for some events and also want to see if there is any actual interest in such a thing among members. This is something that we're working on, however, and we'll give updates as we have them.
8) Hamfest: There is a ham radio convention (?) coming up this weekend from 8 AM to 3 PM. Check the website for details https://www.facebook.com/events/367622083268851/
9) Next meeting: Our next meeting will be in June (probably the latter part) at Manuel's Tavern in Atlanta. We will get together for lunch and a show and tell of bug out bags (don't worry if you don't have one) and then we will bug out! We'll walk with our bags a mile out, following our maps, and then come back. Dress appropriately for the weather, whatever that may be. I'll give you the date and time soon!
10) Facebook: We're waiting to find out if we can set up a group page for our chapter on Facebook. Some members don't really visit the forums so we want to make it as easy as possible for people to communicate with each other in multiple venues. I'll let you know if/when we get a group set up.
I think that covers it. Twelve of us hung out for 3 hours and we chatted a lot so hopefully I got all of the main topics. We hope to see you at our next meeting!