Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by Keith B » Tue May 15, 2012 10:12 pm

I will add another for Lucifers Hammer.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned The Postman yet.

You could call it Lucifers Hammer fanfic!!
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Tue May 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Confucius wrote:I've been pimping Hugh Howey's "Wool" series for a while now, got to do it again. It's set in a dystopian silo (imagine the vaults from Fallout, a few thousand people in it) after a global apocalypse.

He's simply one of the best authors I've come across in a long time, (he's written a lot of other stuff too, all fantastic) and he spits them out fast (#6 was just released a few weeks ago)

http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Omnibus-Edit ... B0071XO8RA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for recommending the Wool series, enjoying them immensely!
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Tue May 15, 2012 10:19 pm

doc66 wrote:
Shiloh wrote:-Dies the Fire, book #1 of "The Change" series by S. M. Stirling. I honestly couldn't put this one down. The concept of the novel seems kind of strange at first when you initially get into it, but it really gets going soon thereafter. There were a few things I didn't like too much (quite a bit of anti-Christian comments and commentary, glorifying certain activities that I would otherwise not condone, etc.) but nothing I could really drag on about for hours.

-The Protector's War, book #2 of "The Change" series. I haven't finished it quite yet, but so far so good.
LOL. I stopped reading after the second book. So many problems with the science in the book; if you can't build and make a steam engine, how do you boil water for cooking? And on and on. The series is a SCA/D&D wet dream.

Glad you liked it. I couldn't stop rolling my eyes. I realize that we have to suspend some disbelief, we are after all on a zombie forum, but Stirling just couldn't keep me suspended.
I actually had quite a few questions of my own relating to the scientific theories he puts forward. After a while I gave up TRYING to poke holes in it and just went along. The story in itself was good, if you look at it from a strictly story-telling standpoint. But you're right in saying that the mechanics behind it are BS.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

Hanuman110

Post by Hanuman110 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:13 am

I didn't dislike Dies the Fire because it differed from my personal religious beliefs. I disliked it because the Wicca speak bordered on obnoxious. The Wiccan's I've known never spoke that way unless they were at a Ren Faire.

Anyway, there's a whole thread around here somewhere that debates the merits and flaws of Dies the Fire so I'll leave my comments at that.

I've been wanting to read A Canticle for Leibowitz but I've never got around to it. This thread is going to make Amazon happy with me. I picked up Wool a few days ago and it's next up once I finish Old Man's War which has been awesome thus far.
"...I calculated the odds of this succeeding, vs. the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid...then I went ahead anyway."~Crow T. Robot

doc66

Post by doc66 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:19 am

I mentioned The Postman! LOL

Shorty presented a paper on A Canticle for Leibowitz a couple years ago; it actually got one of the audience to stand up and burst out "Right On!"
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silversnake

Post by silversnake » Wed May 16, 2012 6:38 am

Not sure if they really count as Sci-Fi, but here are a few I've enjoyed:

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller takes the extremely long view and broad brush strokes of civilization after a nuclear war.

Old Man and The Wasteland by Nick Cole is a nice single afternoon read also set in post-nuclear destruction. Very well written and worth the time IMHO.

Of course, if you want your apocalypse a little closer to home, you can watch a wonderful cartoon: Graveyard of the Fireflies or Barefoot Gen. Yes, "cartoon" is deliberate deception. These may be animated movies, but you'll still want your antidepressants and Kleenex handy if you watch them. They're both set in WWII Japan.

zenger

Post by zenger » Wed May 16, 2012 8:33 am

Awesome choices itt

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Thu May 24, 2012 10:30 am

Just finished the Wool series, great reads.
Now I'm on the prologue, First Shift.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Thu May 24, 2012 12:18 pm

Awesome all books to look for next time I go shopping for my NOOK.

I recommend "Dies the Fire" book #1. They actually explain "The Change" in book #7. I read it because it was the only I hadn't read yet. But after book #3 there really is no more prepping/survival stuff in it. Although in books 4-7 you do meet other groups briefly. They include some Buddhist monks, Mormons who went back to polygyny. Plains Native Americans who went back to their original ways, some boy scouts and girl scouts who were in Yellowstone at the time and a group of people who adopted a Viking way of life in Maine.

Z for Zechariah
fire-us trilogy
The Girl Who Owned a City
Children of the Dust
Little House on the Prairie series I know it's not PA but I think if society does rebuild itself it will be more along these lines rather than say the medieval period at least here in the states.

The Stand
Lucifer's Hammer
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Thu May 24, 2012 12:19 pm

LyraJean wrote:Plains Native Americans who went back to their original ways
Yurts on wheels are not very traditional.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Thu May 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks for all the great recommendations. I've bought several of the books from Amazon already and I've got more in my basket for next month when my wife replenishes my book allowance. :D
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

LyraJean
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Thu May 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Rev wrote:
LyraJean wrote:Plains Native Americans who went back to their original ways
Yurts on wheels are not very traditional.
well sort of. They also had some blondes and actually practiced animal husbandry with the buffalo. I think when I said traditional I was remembering the one guy who says he now understands all the rules that the older folks remember. You have to since you are probably living with your inlaws inside a Tipi.

It's not like Rudi's people were authentic Celts either.

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Thu May 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Cockroach wrote: Daniel Suarez's
Daemonand sequel
Freedom Plots of both books focus on what happens to society when IT's system get compromised globally by a MMO/game designer. Great stuff, solid real world basis foundation. I envy anyone who's picking up for the first time..
I just finsihed reading these two books. WOW!! Good, somewhat believable stories based on cutting edge technology. They are also scary as what happens seems somewhat possible, at least the intitial actions of the computer program. They were also nuanced enough that I kept flipping back and forth as to which side I was rooting for. Excellent books.
-Blast

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Thu May 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Blast wrote:
Cockroach wrote: Daniel Suarez's
Daemonand sequel
Freedom Plots of both books focus on what happens to society when IT's system get compromised globally by a MMO/game designer. Great stuff, solid real world basis foundation. I envy anyone who's picking up for the first time..
I just finsihed reading these two books. WOW!! Good, somewhat believable stories based on cutting edge technology. They are also scary as what happens seems somewhat possible, at least the intitial actions of the computer program. They were also nuanced enough that I kept flipping back and forth as to which side I was rooting for. Excellent books.
-Blast
Glad you liked 'em Blast!
FYI Suarez has a new book coming out July 19th, Kill Decision which has interesting premise. I pre-ordered it for my NOOK, look forward to it's release.

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Winston Smith » Thu May 24, 2012 10:48 pm

I'd strongly suggest "Wastelands" It's a lot of shorts stories, probably all can be read in an hour or so, from some great authors(Orson Scott Card and Stephen King are some of my favorites). The cool part is the stories very quite a bit, and take Post Apoc in lots of different settings.

*BloodbathPB prior to 4JUN2012*

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

Cavediver

Post by Cavediver » Fri May 25, 2012 8:47 am

Cockroach wrote: FYI Suarez has a new book coming out July 19th, Kill Decision which has interesting premise. I pre-ordered it for my NOOK, look forward to it's release.
Good to know!
I thought Daemon was a pretty darned good book, and just plausible enough to make you think...
OTOH, Freedom, while still a good book, went out on a sci-fi-ish limb.

I just got my hands on a nook; I think I've spent more on books in the last three weeks than I have in the last year. Damn that wireless "Buy Now" function! :lol:

LyraJean
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Fri May 25, 2012 2:00 pm

I just found Wool: Omnibus and Wastelands both for the NOOK. I'll see if I can get away so I can purchase them tomorrow.

deadcat7382

Post by deadcat7382 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:30 pm

The Postman
Most everything by Heinlein
Damnation Alley great book! crappy movie, book by Roger Zelazny

"Stay with me! If you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!"

"I've got two guns...
One for each of ya."

silversnake

Post by silversnake » Fri May 25, 2012 3:18 pm

deadcat7382 wrote:The Postman
Most everything by Heinlein
Damnation Alley great book! crappy movie, book by Roger Zelazny

Never seen the movie (though I've heard the title) but I wasn't aware Zelazny wrote the book. Only familiar with his Amber series. May have to check it out. Thanks.

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:02 pm

What are the good Heinlein post-apoc books? I love him as an author.
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

LyraJean
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Sat May 26, 2012 4:05 pm

I bought Wool Omnibus
While cruising the Nook store I found for free "The Post-Apocalypse Dating Guide" I haven't read it yet so who knows it might be good for a laugh.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sat May 26, 2012 4:08 pm

LyraJean wrote:I bought Wool Omnibus
Enjoy

Hugh Howey is seriously one of my favorite authors now.

Wormjello

Post by Wormjello » Sat May 26, 2012 5:39 pm

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "The Stand". My favorite pre-apocalyptic book is "Atlas Shrugged" and "Camp of the Saints" is almost as terrifying but then so is the daily news. :lol:
Lever 4 Ever!

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Winston Smith » Sat May 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Wormjello wrote:I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "The Stand". My favorite pre-apocalyptic book is "Atlas Shrugged" and "Camp of the Saints" is almost as terrifying but then so is the daily news. :lol:
I loved The Stand (so much better than the mini-series, which was still very good). If you enjoyed that, try the Dark Tower series. I'd read the first 4, and am now halfway through rereading the 3rd after restarting the series 2 weeks ago before the movie comes out this fall. The Dark Tower universe is central to all of SK's books, but is particularly closely related to The Stand.
*BloodbathPB prior to 4JUN2012*

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

Return to “Books”