Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:25 pm 

I recently received this baby, after back-ordering it from K-Var thee months ago. It's the (original) top mount version of the Vepr Super.

All that stuff they say about beautiful wood, impeccable fit and finish, solid feel, smooth action, etc - ALL TRUE. Right away, I fell in love with this weapon and was happy that I ordered it. It is stamped Arsenal Inc and warrantied for a year. Came in a very pretty Russian cardboard box, which I am actually not throwing away.

The receiver cover button and the way the receiver cover goes back in is a little different (took me a few minutes of trial an error to figure out ), the gas tube release is completely different (far superior) - it's a ridged spring button. You pull back on it with your finger and the tube comes out. Very nice! No more tools or cutting your fingers. The rear sight is still just notched, but flips from 100 to 300 m setting (also, different and nice), but otherwise - pretty familiar stuff, just finer.

This Arsenal model comes with one 10 rd mag - plastic, but very solid and well-molded. Very easy to load... The action on this Super and so light and smooth that you can charge it with your pinkie (if you were so inclined ). Seriously, it is unlike any AK variant that I have ever tried. The safety button is very big and easy to operate. You do have to switch to "F" before you can charge the handle. The mag release is ambi, ergonomic and excellent. It doesn't release mags - it forcefully ejects them with a nice snap. Love it!

The trigger... heard bad things about it. I think that it's rather decent. It just has a bit of a creep before it breaks, but does break nicely and doesn't slap or anything. It's about the same as the Arsenal single stage I have installed in my SGL21... maybe a bit better. To me, it is a good trigger, but my experience shooting fancy, high precision, accurized weapons is practically zero. I expected a much worse trigger through. Still, it would be awesome to have some improved (like match grade) trigger options.

The weapon feels and shoulders great. Felt significantly lighter than my restored Saiga 308. Recoil... what f'ing recoil?!? All three of us who shot this gun were blown away by how little recoil there was. Cycling is smooth, great ejection... didn't get a chance to check out the spent casings for damage. Didn't get a change to shoot targets yet. Was hitting metal gongs from 100 yards every time, but that's expected...

I've since bought a scope mount, a POSP Zoom 4-10x42 Weaver and some extra mags (including two CSSpecs metal 20 rounders), but still hadn't had a chance to test it out for accuracy (been very busy). Here are some pics and a video:

Last edited by SpetsNazGRU on Sun May 13, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:35 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Very sexy! I hope it shoots as good as it looks. Looking forward to a full range report.

What are your options if you decide you'd like a better trigger? Any internet how-to's on things like polishing and stoning the trigger sear, or lightening spring tension?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:21 pm 

Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else
Very nice. My lust for a high-end AK grows every day. Any higher cap magazine options for the VEPR .308?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:51 pm 

Damn! Sexy! How much?

If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:53 pm 

TDW586 wrote:
Very nice. My lust for a high-end AK grows every day. Any higher cap magazine options for the VEPR .308?

In the last picture, you can see two CSSpecs Vepr 308 metal 20 rounders. Very good-looking, high quality mags. The only downside is the price - $45 each. There are also the ProMag ones which are ~$30 and I believe that they are modified M-14 mags. I tend to stay away from ProMag products though. These are the only two high cap options currently available. By the way, when it comes to 922r, the rifle has 12 applicable Russian parts. Using a US made mag, brings you down to 9 parts, making it legal.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:10 am 

Kutter_0311 wrote:
Damn! Sexy! How much?

I paid K-Var's intro price of $900 for this Arsenal Inc top-mount version, but then had to buy the scope mount from Kalinka Optics (K-Var still haven't received those mounts from the Russians) for $170 (way overpriced!). K-Var currently has these rifles at $1000. Other retailers sell the WPA imported, AK side-mount version, which comes with the Molot side-mounted weaver rail, for $1100.

As as understand, the Vepr Super was originally designed for that top mount (like I have), but the Russian consumers complained about not being able to use all of their AK side-mounted scopes, making Molot hastily release an AK side-mount version. However, due to the general layout of the weapon, the side-mounts have to sit very high and the early versions had them attached in a sloppy manner. However, WPA claims that the ones that they import right now, feature properly attached AK side-mounts. They still sit very high though.

The top mount is much lower, but my particular scope still sits rather high, prompting me to order a BlackHawk adjustable cheek riser/pad.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:15 am 

majorhavoc wrote:
Very sexy! I hope it shoots as good as it looks. Looking forward to a full range report.

What are your options if you decide you'd like a better trigger? Any internet how-to's on things like polishing and stoning the trigger sear, or lightening spring tension?

No after-market options or DIY guides yet, I'm afraid. The weapon is supposed to be very accurate. I only fired a couple of mags at some 100 yard metal gongs so far, but was blown away by how little recoil there was. I swear, it doesn't have much more recoil than my Arsenal SGL21. I have no idea how they did it!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:49 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

TDW586 wrote:

I know man. I don't need one at all, don't know near enough about them, but dammit they are getting a lot sexier to me every time somebody posts stuff like this. I think I want a x39 though.

OT!
That's a damn fine looking rifle mister

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:49 am 

Now That, THATS one slick rifle!
Out of curiosity how is the FCG and such postioned in the rifle? is it in the proper postion? If looks sure like it, but cant be sure due to the spiffy stock on it.
It would be all too sweet if they were compatiable with 922r compatible FCG's right out of the box!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:05 am 

Desolo wrote:
Out of curiosity how is the FCG and such postioned in the rifle? is it in the proper postion? If looks sure like it, but cant be sure due to the spiffy stock on it.
It would be all too sweet if they were compatiable with 922r compatible FCG's right out of the box!

It is in the forward position, but I don't believe that it's compatible with standard AKM FCGs.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:32 am 

SpetsNazGRU wrote:
It is in the forward position, but I don't believe that it's compatible with standard AKM FCGs.

From your pics, it sure looks close...

Any chance you or a friend have a digital/dial caliper and could compare some measurements?

That should clear things up in short order.

minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:27 pm 

Kutter_0311 wrote:
SpetsNazGRU wrote:

From your pics, it sure looks close...

Any chance you or a friend have a digital/dial caliper and could compare some measurements?

That should clear things up in short order.

Not likely in the near future. My life has been very hectic lately. I mean, I haven't even had a chance to properly shoot this baby yet. :(

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:31 pm 

Guys, check out what one guy managed to do with his Vepr Super:

SVD stock and FAL (I believe) hand guard. This is the first (documented) successful attempt to completely replace the original furniture.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:28 pm 

SpetsNazGRU wrote:
Desolo wrote:

AH! thanks for attempting to satiate my curiosity.... it certainly DOES look close, thats for sure!
Thanks for the "under-the-hood" view of the FCG.
And hey, atleast it doesnt have the bastardized saiga trigger linkage :D

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:44 am 

SpetsNazGRU wrote:
Guys, check out what one guy managed to do with his Vepr Super:

SVD stock and FAL (I believe) hand guard. This is the first (documented) successful attempt to completely replace the original furniture.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:31 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

SpetsNazGRU wrote:

How to spend thousands of dollaz and hundreds of hours on a gun to achieve 3-4 MOA, a 9 lbs trigger pull and the ergonomics of chopped lumber. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pleasure Island is a metaphor for the “profane life” characterized by ignorance, the search for instant gratification and the satisfaction of the one’s lowest impulses ~ The Esoteric Interpretation of Pinocchio
LOOK AT THIS MOLOTOV!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:22 am 

Regular Guy wrote:
How to spend thousands of dollaz and hundreds of hours on a gun to achieve 3-4 MOA, a 9 lbs trigger pull and the ergonomics of chopped lumber....

Hey, some people spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours getting whipped and beaten just to lick boots.

At least you get to shoot the rifle without begging for permission, and it sounds like less pain :wink:

minengr wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:27 am 

Regular Guy wrote:
SpetsNazGRU wrote:
How to spend thousands of dollaz and hundreds of hours on a gun to achieve 3-4 MOA, a 9 lbs trigger pull and the ergonomics of chopped lumber. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you think that this weapon is only capable of 3-4 MOA (or that it has a 9 lbs trigger pull), you are very mistaken. I haven't had a chance to test mine for accuracy yet, but from the reports I've read, when using quality loads, it's actually a sub-MOA gun. You obviously never seen or handled a Molot-made weapon in person. Any way, you can keep laughing for now. My restored Saiga 308 shoots 2 MOA with the "budget" brass hunting rounds, after I got a lot of trigger time and got used to it. I fully expect this Vepr Super to blow it away and will keep this topic updated and post my groups (by the way, I don't do the BS 3 round groups - I go for the 6 round ones).

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:32 am 

The VEPRs really are something else in regards to accuracy- I'd not be surprised to see MOA out of many of them.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:37 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

SpetsNazGRU wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:
SpetsNazGRU wrote:

If you think that this weapon is only capable of 3-4 MOA (or that it has a 9 lbs trigger pull), you are very mistaken. I haven't had a chance to test mine for accuracy yet, but from the reports I've read, when using quality loads, it's actually a sub-MOA gun. You obviously never seen or handled a Molot-made weapon in person. Any way, you can keep laughing for now. My restored Saiga 308 shoots 2 MOA with the "budget" brass hunting rounds, after I got a lot of trigger time and got used to it. I fully expect this Vepr Super to blow it away and will keep this topic updated and post my groups (by the way, I don't do the BS 3 round groups - I go for the 6 round ones).

No, I've seen them in person. It's still WW2 technology with less than stellar scope mounting system. If you want to be a cheer leader for this one, cool. Have fun. My complaints about the ergonomics on this rifle are valid. I've fired the SVD quite a bit. That stock is crap, the safety was designed in the early 1900s and the scope mounting is dubious and really needs to be updated. I'm not a hater, I like the gun but I'm mature enough to critize a systems failings without getting my feeling hurt.
Take my love for the G3. Charging handle is in the wrong spot, unless you have monkey thumbs forget the safety and the gun defines boat anchor. There, see, not hard.

Pleasure Island is a metaphor for the “profane life” characterized by ignorance, the search for instant gratification and the satisfaction of the one’s lowest impulses ~ The Esoteric Interpretation of Pinocchio
LOOK AT THIS MOLOTOV!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:59 am 

Regular Guy wrote:
SpetsNazGRU wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:
SpetsNazGRU wrote:

No, I've seen them in person. It's still WW2 technology with less than stellar scope mounting system. If you want to be a cheer leader for this one, cool. Have fun. My complaints about the ergonomics on this rifle are valid. I've fired the SVD quite a bit. That stock is crap, the safety was designed in the early 1900s and the scope mounting is dubious and really needs to be updated. I'm not a hater, I like the gun but I'm mature enough to critize a systems failings without getting my feeling hurt.
Take my love for the G3. Charging handle is in the wrong spot, unless you have monkey thumbs forget the safety and the gun defines boat anchor. There, see, not hard.

What does this weapon have to do with the SVD? Are you talking about the AK style safety or the hunting rifle type of safety, which the Vepr Super has? What is wrong with the scope mount? It sits low (my particular scope does sit high though), secure, is quickly detached and returns to zero when re-attached. What's wrong with WW2 technology that still happens to be more reliable than anything else? Why is this stock "crap"? It's made out of top notch walnut and feels perfectly comfortable to me. This weapon also weighs less than most other .308 semis (FAL, G3, Saiga 308, etc). What's your whole point? That I should have bought a DPMS Panther instead? No thanks. I wanted an .308 AK variant that can potentially hit shit from 800 yards and it's what I got. I like the look, the feel and the design of this weapon.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:07 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

SpetsNazGRU wrote:
[What does this weapon have to do with the SVD? Are you talking about the AK style safety or the hunting rifle type of safety, which the Vepr Super has? What is wrong with the scope mount? It sits low (my particular scope does sit high though), secure, is quickly detached and returns to zero when re-attached. What's wrong with WW2 technology that still happens to be more reliable than anything else? Why is this stock "crap"? It's made out of top notch walnut and feels perfectly comfortable to me. This weapon also weighs less than most other .308 semis (FAL, G3, Saiga 308, etc). What's your whole point? That I should have bought a DPMS Panther instead? No thanks. I wanted an .308 AK variant that can potentially hit shit from 800 yards and it's what I got. I like the look, the feel and the design of this weapon.

Enjoy your rifle dood. Relax.

LOOK AT THIS MOLOTOV!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:02 pm 

SpetsNazGRU wrote:
I wanted an .308 AK variant that can potentially hit shit from 800 yards and it's what I got.

^^I VANT VAHN!!! I VANT VAHN!!!

I'd take this up against my bro's AR10 in a heartbeat. We have a 500m range in the area that we're working, and he's not entirely happy with the AR's performance thus far. Now I'm again rethinking the next rifle purchase...

minengr wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:04 pm 

Regular Guy wrote:
SpetsNazGRU wrote:
[What does this weapon have to do with the SVD? Are you talking about the AK style safety or the hunting rifle type of safety, which the Vepr Super has? What is wrong with the scope mount? It sits low (my particular scope does sit high though), secure, is quickly detached and returns to zero when re-attached. What's wrong with WW2 technology that still happens to be more reliable than anything else? Why is this stock "crap"? It's made out of top notch walnut and feels perfectly comfortable to me. This weapon also weighs less than most other .308 semis (FAL, G3, Saiga 308, etc). What's your whole point? That I should have bought a DPMS Panther instead? No thanks. I wanted an .308 AK variant that can potentially hit shit from 800 yards and it's what I got. I like the look, the feel and the design of this weapon.

Enjoy your rifle dood. Relax.

I am relaxed. You obviously got the wrong impression. I really didn't mean to come off as aggressive or too defensive. I don't have any emotional attachment to this weapon and realize that it has its flaws and is not for everybody (then again, which weapon is?).