It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Urban Escape Vehicle
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:38 pm 

A few years ago I ended up with a 2006 Scion xA as my daily driver for college. I've always loved playing in the dirt, so my little import with air dams and low-pro tires just wasn't cutting it for me anymore. Here's what it used to look like:

BEFORE:

The final straw for me was when I hopped onto a curb and broke a rim. I had to do something to make my car more capable... and I was surprised at how capable it turned out to be.

The first step was to remove all the low-hanging plastic crap with a pair of shop shears and a sawzall. Then I got some 205/60/15 tires on steel rims.
Here's a shot of the front valance, above a regular parking berm. The new tires gave me about an inch of lift, and I added coil spacers for another inch.

Other modifications include: semi-gutted interior, custom water fording snorkel, exhaust, 'tweaked' IAT sensor, K&N air filter, Antilock Brake Disable switch, roof rack, fog lights, driving lights, reverse flood light, air horn, dual-color military dome light, safety hood pins, external 12V power port, sideband-capable CB radio with a 200 watt amplifier, digital trunking radio scanner, onboard air with hose, tool kit, and extra supplies.

AFTER:

Future modifications planned, as soon as I can afford them :D

235/70/15 All Terrain Tires
38mm front and 50mm rear track spacers
2.5" aluminum front strut spacer
Front end subframe / engine cage and skidplate.

Last edited by StrykerPez on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:39 pm 

Oh and a swing-away jerry can holder for the rear bumper. That will come as soon as I find an old ford bronco in a junk yard LOL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:12 am 

That's pretty cool. How'd you rig the onboard air? Electric, or did you lose the AC, or something else?

knight_308's EDC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:00 am 

Its a heavy duty 12v compressor with a 2 gallon tank where the donut spare used to be.

I am planing on losing the AC compressor and condenser, so I might see what I can do there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:50 pm 

This might help you with some ideas. :)

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/offduty/automotive/offduty-scion-face-off-110810/

http://www.airforcetimes.com/offduty/automotive/offduty-scion-face-off-110810/

http://www.motorward.com/2010/10/scion-at-2010-sema-show/

There's always a certain percentage of any population with the conviction that society is a conspiracy to deny them their rights.
The right to be totally ignorant of any useful knowledge seems to be the basic one.
- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:59 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

That thing is just begging for some diamond plate.

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:41 pm 

I've seen the Marine's xB before, but I had no idea it was all-wheel-drive. Same thought pattern I had tho, use the drivetrain from a Rav4. Cool.

I agree with the diamond plate comment. It would give it a more "durable" look LOL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:04 pm 

jamoni wrote:
That thing is just begging for some diamond plate.

Or a coat of Line-X. :)

There's always a certain percentage of any population with the conviction that society is a conspiracy to deny them their rights.
The right to be totally ignorant of any useful knowledge seems to be the basic one.
- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:18 pm 

Any of you guys heard of Monstaliner? It's a bedliner, supposedly tested by Mythbusters against some C4 as bombproof. I was pointed to it by some guys on another forum. It is pricey, about $100 bucks per gallon, 250 for the 2 gallon kit with texture roller and stuff.

I was planning on using some kind of roll or spray on bedliner on the lower 18 inches or so of the vehicle, including the interior. I've already removed my carpets because they got moldy after a few romps through a river and water got under them. Stupid Toyota drain holes haha those rubber plugs never stay in!

So what's all y'all's take on the stuff?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:39 pm 

StrykerPez wrote:
I was planning on using some kind of roll or spray on bedliner on the lower 18 inches or so of the vehicle, including the interior. I've already removed my carpets because they got moldy after a few romps through a river and water got under them. Stupid Toyota drain holes haha those rubber plugs never stay in!

Reassembling Dusty after the spray-in bedliner installation.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:51 pm 

StrykerPez wrote:
Any of you guys heard of Monstaliner? It's a bedliner, supposedly tested by Mythbusters against some C4 as bombproof. I was pointed to it by some guys on another forum. It is pricey, about $100 bucks per gallon, 250 for the 2 gallon kit with texture roller and stuff.

I don't know which one you refer to but, the Mythbusters I remember with them testing bedliner they were using Line-X.

Either way, it's a great material to use for this sort of thing. I do like the way the commercial spray on covers better than the DIY stuff, and that even gives you some warranty advantages.

- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:53 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

That answer your question? :)

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:42 pm 

*squints and taps fingers together*

Excellent....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:53 pm 

http://youtu.be/ePNGvO6xxPs
http://youtu.be/BD7Bpyh5J_M
http://youtu.be/WF51nHuxWG4
OP, I thought you might get a kick out of these.