Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chapter Ideas for 2012
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:13 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

As requested from the last chapter meeting, I'm posting my ideas for the upcoming year. Here I go:

- Hike on the Freeport- Butler Trail. I was thinking January 7 (which is also Orthodox Christmas) as a prep hike for those doing "The Road" event the following weekend (or not). The trail is a rails to trails trail and is very flat and super-scenic. We could also do this as a simple food bank drive as well. Those that don't bring food can give up some cash for the Red Cross or something. Maybe hike for a couple hours, and for the sake of simple logistics, turn around and go back. Then, do debriefing and cocktails at the Red Robin at Pittsburgh Mills.

- The Road. See other post in Chapter.

- Canoe Trip. What do you get when you cross Resident Evil and Deliverance? Besides Milla Jovovich with a mustache! A fantastic trip! Clarion River in May?

- Shooting competition- I sent out emails and waiting to hear back. Pistol, rifle, long range?

- Run for your Life. I saw this in other areas and this would be one that would require more logistics. Basically a cross country run with obstacles and the undead.

- Pittsburgh area Zombie Film Bus Tour. Do a guided bus tour to various locations where zombie films were shot in the area. The NOLD cemetery, Monroeville Mall, Savini school. This would need to be advertized to the rest of ZS and needs lots of planning.

- Exercises. Sometime soon, US Steel Building is planning on holding an active shooter drill, but to make it fun, they are substituting zombies. The answer is obvious here. The catch is that this would be workdays during business hours. The other one is the full scale exercise in the North Shore Connector coming up in the middle of 2012. They are always looking for volunteers. They also give out consolation prizes as well.

That's all I got for now. I'll post more if I think of anything else.

US Marines- Making Martyrs since 1775

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:24 am 

Love the Run for your life idea!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:29 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The Run for Your Life people stopped by the ZS tent at Zombie Fest. It sounds like we would have quiet a few ppl who would be interested. All of your ideas/suggestions are fantastic!! We're all looking forward to the meeting on Dec 13!! Thank you for posting these!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:04 am 

jackal556 wrote:
- Canoe Trip. What do you get when you cross Resident Evil and Deliverance? Besides Milla Jovovich with a mustache! A fantastic trip! Clarion River in May?

I'll bring my bow, you can do the squealing

Seriously, I like this idea. May should be great, but I have run canoes down the Clarion later in the year without problems. I took a college level canoeing class (1 credit A+ yeah baby) and we did it in July without any issues other than calling the trip the first day due to lightning. We ran I think 10 miles of river the second day in about 4 hours IIRC with virtually all inexperienced paddlers.

Biggin wrote:
praharin can be an insufferable dick

Adding as many ponies to as many threads as humanly possible.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:13 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

praharin wrote:
jackal556 wrote:

I'll bring my bow, you can do the squealing

Seriously, I like this idea. May should be great, but I have run canoes down the Clarion later in the year without problems. I took a college level canoeing class (1 credit A+ yeah baby) and we did it in July without any issues other than calling the trip the first day due to lightning. We ran I think 10 miles of river the second day in about 4 hours IIRC with virtually all inexperienced paddlers.

I've already been practicing the banjo for the past seven months. (Actually, my dad and I used to play Dueling Banjos with him on the banjo and my on the guitar. Mom got kinda sick of it after a while.)

I used to go canoeing on a fairly frequent basis and only nearly died twice! (OK, once was not really canoeing. It was whitewater rafting on the Yough when I got pinned under my duckie in a hydraulic.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:33 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Sounds good, I have my own kayak and would love to do this.

Towanda wrote:
When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:53 pm 

I'd be up for a canoe trip.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:56 pm 

Beanhead wrote:

+1

I have no watercraft of my own, but I'll bring a big cooler full of PBR and maybe a few steaks from Bardini's butcher shop for the masses to enjoy! :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:46 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Spd164 wrote:
Beanhead wrote:

Indubitably, my good sir and/or madam.

I have no watercraft of my own, but I'll bring a big cooler full of PBR and maybe a few steaks from Bardini's butcher shop for the masses to enjoy! :D

In case you need back up, I can support with reinforcements from my Brauwerks. I currently have 6 varieties of beer im meinem Bierkeller and a amber ale brewed yesterday bubbling away in the parlour. I'm hoping to do an Imperial stout later on followed up by an IPA (or silly juice as I like to call it.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:04 pm 

jackal556 wrote:
Spd164 wrote:
Beanhead wrote:

Indubitably, my good sir and/or madam.

In case you need back up, I can support with reinforcements from my Brauwerks. I currently have 6 varieties of beer im meinem Bierkeller and a amber ale brewed yesterday bubbling away in the parlour. I'm hoping to do an Imperial stout later on followed up by an IPA (or silly juice as I like to call it.)

I know of a really fun rope swing on the yough.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:01 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Beanhead,

Where on the Yough?

Towanda wrote:
When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:23 pm 

Doctor Jest wrote:
Beanhead,

Where on the Yough?

right before you come around the last bend when you're heading downstream before you reach hazelbakers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:15 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Okay I'll look out for that next time I kayak down the Yough from Hazelbaker's. Thanks!

Though I'm gonna wait till spring. Fuck a bunch of winter on the Yough.

Towanda wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:40 pm 

Run for your lives is on my agenda!

My friend will be Leon S. Kennedy
And i am trying to be Chris Redfield Not from RE5! Thats impossible
And I have a Barry Burton kind of

we are going as team Resident Evil.
Who else wants in??????

Shooting competition is also something I would like to see. I already shoot USPSA, and love it!

Post subject: Chapter Ideas for 2012
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:31 am 

Jay_Zombi3 wrote:
Run for your lives is on my agenda!

My friend will be Leon S. Kennedy
And i am trying to be Chris Redfield Not from RE5! Thats impossible
And I have a Barry Burton kind of

we are going as team Resident Evil.
Who else wants in??????

Shooting competition is also something I would like to see. I already shoot USPSA, and love it!

I shoot IDPA from time to time and have a blast with it. Always wanted to try USPSA but not sure if I would be competitive with my stock G21 or G30. I really need to pick up a G34 to compete with. Burning 200 rds of .45 per match is a tad expensive! Seriously though I'd love to get more heavily into competition... Would really love to get into 3 gun t some point as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:39 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I've had some additional ideas over the past week:

-A BOB hike and "pageant"- a hike of about a mile or so with 100% ready-to-go BOBs. After the hike, everyone opens up and unloads their BOBs. The group as a whole votes on the best BOB. Prizes go to the "Best BOB" and "BOB most-deserving-of-additional-support".

- In November and December, trying to link up the the Marine Corps reserve for Toys-for-Tots. (Most likely SPD's old unit.) Helping them with manpower, funding, logistics, and buying toys. (Buying toys sounds like fun for the first two hours, but it does get old).

- World War Z- premiers Dec 21 (the same day the world is supposed to end). We can get together to see it in the PAW.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:24 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Good ideas all. If you need some help in the traction dept., I got some friends that are part of the pittsburgh "It's Alive Show" thang.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:26 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

With regards to the BOB pagent, I'd also be happy to send some acquired USMC stuff up yonder to Epi, K9, Jest, etc as a prize for the best BOB.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:34 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

maxfarrand wrote:
With regards to the BOB pagent, I'd also be happy to send some acquired USMC stuff up yonder to Epi, K9, Jest, etc as a prize for the best BOB.

That would be awesome. A pakol hat, 152mm IED, lucky MRE spoon, and a case of the ass. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:06 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

eh......all out of that, but I do have some quickclot, beanies, camelback gloves, (and an extra MTV....but only if you are nice to me!)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:56 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

maxfarrand wrote:
eh......all out of that, but I do have some quickclot, beanies, camelback gloves, (and an extra MTV....but only if you are nice to me!)

All that would be sweet! Even some of the "gear adrift" stuff would be great, such as canteens, cleaning kit, boot laces, and any of that other stuff that just gets collected. Pertinax might have a LA Police Gear T.H.E. knock-off bag. I can probably get my hands on some gear as well.

Looking at the schedule again, June and July are open and that would be a nice time to do the BOB hike and "pageant". And a shooting event.