Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:57 pm 

CavTrooper wrote:
Great looking trip. We are on the East side of Florida. While we have all the filters, we don't bother carrying them. Stainless water bottles and fire have become our practice. Next is the Tincture of iodine drops. Since I went out with Dave Canterbury in the Everglades I realized that I just didn't need all that other stuff.

It was fun as far as the water: fIrstly the boiled water tasted like rust... second the pump stoped pumping as it is based on the water table and was out just a few days before our trip... thirdly, there was water along the way, but was almost out of alcohol for the cat stove, and state parks don't like fires outside of rings...

About the tincture, I have head of this... could you PM me some info on it?

edit to clean up the quote

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:33 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I forgot to say that was a fine looking bannock. As for the water filter issue I have done both and find life is easier when a filter is packed than depending on boiling and/or chemical treatment.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Last edited by Woods Walker on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:34 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

mmaiolo81 -

the pics look very familiar :) . i like the use of the bag and filter. i have a katady hiker, and as i said in my post i consider it one of my most important pieces of kit. you have water all over the place in FL, but you/we need a way to filter and treat it. the way my filter kit is setup up right now will let me filter, purify, and store 1 gallon of water in a matter of minutes. i am back on the trail in minutes with a gallon of water ready to drink if needed.

with this said the only way you will know what works, and what doesnt work for you is to get out and try it, which is what you are doing. great job!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:50 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

WoodsWalker -

just checked out your second trip. looks great as always. the fireplace was cool. it makes you wonder how long it was there for since the trees around it are so tall. all the videos look great. im going to be in NY in a few months maybe, so i will need to check out the wild scalions. the bannock looked great. i LOVE the log cabin/lean to you built, and instant mashed potatoes and taco bell hot sauce packets for the win! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:51 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

That trail was an old road for sure as there are some very old maple/oak trees along the side. Sometimes trees along roads and field bounties escaped the axe just like they avoid the developer's chainsaw today. Hard to say how old the house is or more importantly the site. Yea I made that lean-to out of sugar maple with white birch bark shingles and the inner bark of a hickory as cordage. :) Taco Bell 2 dollar meal deal with $1.50 worth or paper towels and hot sauce packets.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:38 am 

Woods Walker wrote:
I forgot to say that was a fine looking bannock. As for the water filter issue I have done both and find life is easier when a filter is packed than depending on boiling and/or chemical treatment.

Thank you, the bannock was delicious, used karen hoods recipie, added the meat and cheese and some seasoning... as far as the filter, the wife and I had a nice long sit down chat about it over the past few days, and with the research I think a Hiker Pro is in my future before my next trip...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:43 am 

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:
mmaiolo81 -

the pics look very familiar :) . i like the use of the bag and filter. i have a katady hiker, and as i said in my post i consider it one of my most important pieces of kit. you have water all over the place in FL, but you/we need a way to filter and treat it. the way my filter kit is setup up right now will let me filter, purify, and store 1 gallon of water in a matter of minutes. i am back on the trail in minutes with a gallon of water ready to drink if needed.

with this said the only way you will know what works, and what doesnt work for you is to get out and try it, which is what you are doing. great job!

It was a great Hike (even though we got a little lost and my legs still hurt lol)... the bag and filter was like a mini brain storm, my buddy said one minute I was drinking, the next I was looking into space, then I said here hold this, and started cutting and taping... It was great... I have already dumpped all the crap I carried around extra, my ruck is down to 25 before food or water... need to get some home made MRE's together to put in it... waiting for my buddy to figure out if he is getting an ALICE too then might split shipping on a 1606AC frame and reduce the weight a little more... I totally agree... until I was dehydrated as hell I didn't really notice all the water around me, then I was like "shit I need a filter"... but then came "damn these boots" LMAO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:33 am 

mmaiolo81 wrote:
CavTrooper wrote:
Great looking trip. We are on the East side of Florida. While we have all the filters, we don't bother carrying them. Stainless water bottles and fire have become our practice. Next is the Tincture of iodine drops. Since I went out with Dave Canterbury in the Everglades I realized that I just didn't need all that other stuff.

It was fun as far as the water: fIrstly the boiled water tasted like rust... second the pump stoped pumping as it is based on the water table and was out just a few days before our trip... thirdly, there was water along the way, but was almost out of alcohol for the cat stove, and state parks don't like fires outside of rings...

About the tincture, I have head of this... could you PM me some info on it?

edit to clean up the quote

Here is one of my blog posts on water purification options. Everything I do has redundancy so you'll see multiple options. One thing I have discovered in prepping is that many things are mission specific. Such as equipment or techniques. Therefore it pays to have multiple options and as much knowledge as possible.
http://www.theshoestringprepper.com/201 ... chive.html

http://www.twitter.com/shoestringprep

"If he makes us run up that hill again...That's it! I'm putting Visine in the Lieutenant's canteen... Again!"
"If it ain't raining we ain't training...If it ain't snowing we ain't going"... Cavalry Wisdom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:32 pm 

First off, thank you to everyone supplying awesome prizes for this contest! Winter is the season I am least prepared (gear and skill wise) to bug out in, but after looking at the prize list I will have to do this one! Least prepared= more reason to practice.

Woodswalker- great posts to get us started. I always appreciate the inclusion of your flora/fauna expertise. Still hoping to retire to your life some day.

Darkside- thanks for the report. I like looking at your gear and experiences.

mmaiolo81- looks like a perfect first bug-out. Good use of your gear and you learned a few things. Nice to go with a buddy.

Now this is a winter bug out- right? Where's all the snow and freezing temps? Posts were reminiscent of my fall bug out with concerns about high temps, water and dehydration. It's been a really weird winter in Minnesota so far. Any snow we got has pretty well gone the last few weeks. Temps and snowfall are predicted to return to normal so I will be waiting to do a more representative winter bug out in MN. Can't wait...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:44 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I planed on doing a 6-8 mile walk along the blue trails and roads to the same area used during a Fall minimal gear trip. The gear would be minimal meaning no sleeping bag, food, water, large wood choppers/saws, minimal clothing aka one pair of socks etc etc. Here is my clothing that will be worn. Everything is Gortex, wool or synthetic plus a Golite poncho. I took the orange hat as part of the hike will be along a road. My clothing is mostly earth tone and sometimes being seen is a good thing. The only garment not shown is my coat.

The weather was expected to shower and flurry in the AM with high winds and lows in the 20’s.

My kit.

1. Ridgerest sleeping pad.
2. Super shelter kit: clear and white sheet, Mylar blanket and duct tape.
3. Mora knife with whipped para and BHK Tiger Knapp.
4. Whistle.
5. Fenix headlamp.
6. Paracord ridgeline kit.
7. Platy bag.
8. Fishing kit. Spool of 6lb test, bobber, weights and #12 hooks. Mealworms from last trip taken but not shown
9. Strike force fire steel.
10. Swedish mess kit stainless pot.
11. FAK.

Attached to my pack is a compass on a small carabineer, red LED light and 50 feet of Paracord in a two-stand twist on a larger BD carabineer.

The trash on the roads these days is a total disgrace but took some cans and bottles.

As planned I covered ground on the blue trails and roads. My pack with hiking poles and a blue cup found along the road.

Even on the trail there was trash. I took this bottle.

This area was scouted before and the wild scallions were still out. Found these on the trail 100 feet from a road. I don’t eat wild edibles right along the roadside but this is far enough away IMHO.

I found this pine blow down and collect some pine tar and sap heavy wood.

It was time to make something to fish with. I had my pick of plastic bottles and used one to make a hand caster. Turned out not too bad.

I tried my luck in this little stream but didn’t catch anything.

Farther down trail there was a good stand of Eastern White pine. Partridgeberries sometimes grow under them and decided to take a little excursion for these wild edibles. Knew about these for years but I never ate one until a few months ago and as such they’re still a new addition to my list.

And it would appear the berries are growing in the pine needles. Most plants don’t deal well under pine but these seem to like it. Do your own research before eating any wild edible. The wind increased and this was a concern because of all the damaged trees from past storms. Lots of branches and trees hanging on by a thread out there.

I left plenty for the birds and other critters that depend on this edible during winter. Made it to the larger river in good time. The water was high but not in flood and hoped for some luck. Along the way gathered Yellow Birch bark and unless mistaken Hoof fungus off an American Beech that clearly has seen better days.

Glad I wasn’t here when this hit.

looks like this pool might hold some trout. I haven’t fished with a hand caster for months but within a short time it all came back to me not that its rocket science.

For much of the day I was getting increasingly nervous about the condition of the trees and high winds. I was standing on a rock fishing and nearly jumped out of my skin when something crashed very near. Right after the limb fell just behind me I couldn’t make out what happened. At first it appeared to be only one branch but there was wood all over the place, even floating past me.

If you watch the video a sapling was damaged farther out and broken wood was all around as if multiple limbs fell. I was fishing on the smaller rock maybe 2 feet from the bank. Guessing the limbs hit about 6 feet away from me.

I decided that was a warning to leave. Walking away was a hard decision because I had some effort invested in this trip. Not to mention I really wanted to experiment with turning a Silnlyon poncho into heated super shelter. I did stop on the hike out to review what was gathered from the environment both natural and man-made.

1. Two Aluminum cans.
2. One larger plastic sports drink bottle.
3. One plastic (not sure what the drink was) bottle made into a hand caster.
4. Three Hoof funguses for tinder.
5. A bunch of wild scallions.
6. Eastern White pine pitch.
7. Small amount of Partridgeberries.

Just some turkey tracks seen after my inventory was taken.

If the wind didn’t send me running maybe my fishing luck might have changed but safety tends to pay off. I hope to get out again soon to test that shelter. Darn I should be sleeping inside it right now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:52 pm 

WW great trip... Better safe than sorry...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:29 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

wonder if we will get some trips posted from this weekend?

great trip WW :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:06 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:
wonder if we will get some trips posted from this weekend?

great trip WW :wink:

I hope some good trips get posted. I still have to test out the poncho super. Darn I wanted to do that this weekend. :(

edit.

mmaiolo81 wrote:
WW great trip... Better safe than sorry...

Thanks.

Last edited by Woods Walker on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:38 am 

An Apocalyptic (Winter) Mock BugOut-Part III

I grabbed my BOB off the back of the 4 wheeler as fast as I could, they were only maybe 75-100 metres away and probably running towards me fast. I threw on the Bergen not bothering with the waist belt and sprinted SW towards A building as fast as I could go considering I was carrying 80lbs of rucksack, tacvest and shotgun.

It was a well placed roadblock/ambush, I was headed down what I thought was a rarely used snow covered back road home from the farm "community" I had been the past few days doing some "security consulting" work. They were a small group of survivors at a large mixed farm and they have been having increasing incidents of thefts with the last being more of a well coordinated raid which they miraculously managed to fend off.It didn't take long for the thin veneer of civility to come off society after that fateful July day when the nuclear exchanges started, to say we were in a "WROL" situation would be an understatement.
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=80601&start=288#p1816465

It was 1930ish when I turned onto Boyle Rd off Old River Road so as to cross the Welland river bridge when just before it three armed males dropped some type of log barricade in front of me. I'm assuming I surprised them possibly due to riding without lights. I spun around about 25m in front of them and took off from where I had come from, that's when they opened fire and I went about 50m more then the ATV engine began to sputter and lose power as obviously it had been hit so I steered it off road into a front yard of a house where the machine came to a halt. Yelling of "get em" and "lets go" from where the brigands were motivated me to get out of there.
Past the house and into a lightly wooded area I ran:
I kept going trying to put as much distance between them as I could, after about 500m I stopped and dropped to see if they were in pursuit but could barely hear anything other then my intense breathing and heart pounding, I felt like I was going to puke from that effort and the shock of it all. After a 5 minute listening halt it become evident that the brigands were not in pursuit, perhaps my ATV and some of my gear on it distracted them. F***, I had about 25lbs of beef on it for payment from the farmers :x I knew where I was and how to get to my "home" but it was going to be quite a hike so I plotted a course and headed out, I went cross country for a while:
After about 3 Km's I was done for the night, my knee took a hit ditching the ATV and I didn't want to destroy it. I found a secluded copps of woods and dropped ruck in a nice tent sized clearing after "dog legging" it around into it so as to hopefully spot anyone following me:

I had my "second tier" BOB with me which I carried on the ATV and it didn't have all my absolute best kit, the pack was a British Army (long back) Bergen in DPM:

In it was sleep and shelter kit:
Starting top L going clockwise:
Snugpak SF sleep system, a light and medium sleeping bag that zips together (comfort -15 & extreme -20), Kifaru small stove, Kifaru Paratipi, Paratipi poles, tent pegs, 7 mil plastic groundsheet, Exped 9 DLX air mattress

Clothing kit:
Starting top row going right: Snugpak Ebony "puffy coat" rated to -15, Snugpak "salopettes"-puffy bib pants, Outdoor Research CADPAT gaiters
2nd row: Dry bag, Multicam BDU pants, Thermal underwear bottoms, Thermal underwear top, Underwear
Bottom row: Liner socks, thick merino wool socks, Goretex glove shells, fleece glove lines, Balaclava

Food, cook and lighting kit:
Top row L to R: Swedish mess kit, 500ml fuel in nalgene bottle, candle lantern, neoprene lantern case, 3 x candles, Ravioli's and SPAM :mrgreen:
2nd row: Canadian IMP's stripped with two days breakfast, lunch and supper meals in each bag.

Other gear:
Top L to R: 25m cord & 25m paracord, ice rescue picks, handwarmer fuel rods, handwarmer, airmattress patch kit,
2nd row: Footpowder, TP & hand sanitizer, Toothbrush, paste & wipes, FAK,
3rd row: Gerber hatchet, Gerber LMF II Knife, Gerber folding saw
bottom: TT MAV rig, with thermal canteen and tactical FAK + other admin/ammo pouches

Quickly got the Paratipi up and set up the small stove and laid out my sleep gear:

Got busy collecting up wood for the small stove, went for standing dead wood and everything looked real dry:

Got everything inside and fired up the small stove:

Once it got burning the Paratipi quickly warmed up, looks really nice burning in the dark tent (feels nice too compared to winter cold tenting!):

I had no water on me but plenty outside so once the stove was going I collected up snow and packed it hard into the Swedish mess kit pot and lid/bowl, it takes a fair bit of snow to get that pot filled up (13" of snow unpacked=1" water):
I heated up the IMP supper and Chef Boyardee Raviolis and made some hot drinks from the boiled down snow:

I had not heard anything like the sound of pursuing Brigands since pitching camp, I decided they had not chased me and went to sleep for the night. It was a noisy night between Coyotes and Owls. Between 0300 and 0400 to the east I did hear a strange noise but it stayed distant but did startle me awake and had me reaching for my Mossberg.

Morning came and first things first:

Unfortunately I was out of wood for the stove:

Inside of Paratipi:

Salsa and omellete :D :

It was a nice sunny morning, hit -15 celcius (5 F) last night so a bit cold, everything was frost covered in the tent so I hung my sleeping bag on some pine boughs in the sun to dry. Even in extreme cold doing this will dry your bag out:

Mossber 590A1 SPX and I only have twenty "00" buck shells, in extreme cold weapons should be left outside as they will warm and "sweat" moisture in a heated shelter and then when you bring it out it will freeze up and probably not fire or malfunction. If bringing it in take it apart clean/dry it off and leave it in (not in and out) for the night if security threat is high:

I need water so I light up a fire and I'll have to melt more snow:

My "survival kit" is in a Snugpak Responce pack and goes with me everywhere:

Inside is your usual "survival" type kit including all my fire starting items:

Using the Swedish Mess kit again:

One last look at the Paratipi before taking it down:

Kit packed and ready to go:

I ruck up and head out having survived an encounter in the deteriorating security out there:

Last edited by Canadian Guy on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:58 am 

Nice work! almost makes me miss being out in the snow, almost.

"I don't always kill zombies in the apocalypse, but when I do, I wear a Zombie Squad T-shirt."

My bob (bugout bike) on a budget project.
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=88262

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:13 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

The noise was either Bigfoot or 1/2 frozen walkers. :lol: Kifaru Paratipi/small stove is my home away from home. For subzero/singles the small stove will burn more wood during the night. I face my stove towards the front and hang out there then sleep off to the side. It looks like your stove is facing the back.

Nice wood prep for your fire. Failure to do proper fire prep is the primary reason why sometimes people have problems starting and holding a fire. Good pot hook as well, in fact that simple setup is my favorite. I also have both mess kits and yup the top is a good cooker.

I liked the lid on stick. I would have done the same things using the same gear. The survival kits is winner as well. Great trip, videos and write-up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:08 am 

Canadian guy... Nice job... Good looking kit...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:50 pm 

Canadian Guy- I love your shelter and stove set up. Very nice. Looks like you were comfortable out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:51 pm 

WW- Sasquatch and/or Zombies didn't cross my mind at the time :shock: I did have the stove facing the back of the tent where I mainly was lying and feeding it, I'm still experimenting with the system and will try how you set-up your interior. What's in that photo of the SS mess kit lid? it looks like melted
marshmellow? I've also got the SS mess kit but opted for the lighter aluminum one but much prefer the SS.

mmaiolo81- Used some different kit then usual, opted for a rucksack only loaded for winter survival and it wasn't light. The pack alone weighed in at around 60 lbs. Pack, tacvest, survival pack and shotgun/ammo was 80-85 lbs which really wasn't bad considering I was packing that all on me and I had a winter set-up that could allow me to survive some serious cold weather. Its hard to have a light pack in winter conditions when its real cold, pulling a toboggan/pulk really is your best option but I wanted to experiment with just a winter BOB.

Brain245-Thanks but pretty hard not to like the Paratipi/small stove combo, I've only had it out in the snow four times and am learning about it still but it is an excellent backpackable cold weather (hot) tent option. With the gear I had I would have been good to go in extreme cold (e.g. below -30's).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:26 pm 

My Trip.

We did a wintermockbugout in the region of Zeewolde Called "Hosterwold"(its a artificcial piece of land, For 50 years back it used to be sea) its located in the Netherlands We went by train and walked the last 11 Km. this is a very flat country side. So a easy walk. I have met the people in this group through my work as a youth worker. They are all volunteers at my centrum. And we are planning to arrange some trips for urban neighborhood kids. so we used this trip to find out if it would be a nice "holiday" activity for those kids.
We had a great stay. And will surely return to this spot.

I did post my set-up in this movie;

The actual trip can be found here:

Twitter (Crocuta_mega)
to annoy the zombie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv47aM-cQeg

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's very hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:17 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Canadian Guy wrote:
WW- Sasquatch and/or Zombies didn't cross my mind at the time :shock: I did have the stove facing the back of the tent where I mainly was lying and feeding it, I'm still experimenting with the system and will try how you set-up your interior. What's in that photo of the SS mess kit lid? it looks like melted
marshmellow? I've also got the SS mess kit but opted for the lighter aluminum one but much prefer the SS.

It was from my night hike on page one. Just a simple bannock. I used the top of the SS mess kit for that and the bottom was on the same style of pot hook for White pine needle tea. I raise the tipi up with loops to make the front bigger then kick snow around any gaps. After that there is room enough to rest across but don't always do that.

From an early winter trip this year.

The pro being easy access to the door for venting smoke the con being you have to use another pad to rest/sit on becasue I will sleep of to the side.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:23 pm 

Crocuta crocuta wrote:
My Trip.

I really like your presentation, great photos and vids. that last one is frame-worthy.

( I might have to learn how to edit and copy your 'music backed presentation', very cool of you to take the time to put that together. thank you!)

the other trips look great as well, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

hey woods... if we ever head out in the same area, stay about 300 ft away from me as I am now convinced you are a "widow-maker-magnet", Jk but damn.... your like the 'dead fall whisperer' stay safe...

I have an outing planned soon and it's snowing as I type......... should of left yesterday.

thanks again to all who have and will post their trips, great stuff!

~later~

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:24 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Crocuta crocuta

Nice video. I nearly head banged my keyboard. :lol: I liked the A-frame shelter they have and grill.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:05 pm 

Crocuta crocuta-Great video! That's an interesting lightweight saw and you definitely make better coffee then I do in the field!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next