Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: El Paso Under Attack
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:00 pm 

hey guys, i was wondering if you could help me out....i wrote a novel called "El Paso Under Attack"....and it's being sold at amazon.com and smashwords as an ebook. i was hoping that some of you could give it a read and give me a review. i'm most interested in fans of the genre giving it a shot and maybe spreading the word, because i think you will like it. i also kept the price really low at $2.99 so everybody who wanted a copy could grab one without breaking the bank.
the book is about a zombie outbreak in el paso, texas. i keep pretty traditional with the zombies, except they can move sorta fast. anyway, an average guy becomes a sort of hero to the people that are trapped in the city during the outbreak. He's really good at killing zombies and stumbles from one adventure to another and soon becomes famous as internet rumors about his battles begin to spring up. it's an action packed story, and it's also pretty violent. So, if you like your zombies with a lot of bone crunching violence.....this is the book for you!
so, i hope you can help me out if you get a chance. it's already selling somewhat decently, i just want the real fans of the genre to know it's out there. send me an email if you have any questions....thanks for your time
mike

here's the link......http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0067NCE1M#_

Last edited by mclary2220 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: El Paso Under Attack
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:36 pm 

here's my latest review for the book.....what a compliment!!!!!!!

Absolutely LOVED this book! The author takes a different twist when writing by using an interview style (but not like Max Brooks) in that the interviewer is talking to the main character as well as the supporting characters, so you get the entire story with some different points of views. It's rather hard to describe how this works. For example, he/she starts by asking about an event and whomever they are talking to starts to describe it (and you get little asides by the interviewer of what they are thinking or their reaction) but then as the description continues, it reads more like a normal "book". I know I am not being very clear about this type of writing but it is what makes it so special. It is also what allows you to really get to understand each of the character's personalities as they are being interviewed, not just relating to them through Jax's perceptions.

The main character, Jaxon, is someone that I want as a friend. Jax is a laid back type of guy in his mid 30's, married to Skie, who hasn't really figured out his life goals. He is full of laughter, loves pranks, very loyal. He is returning to El Paso from visiting his parents. He gets home, sees that his wife and her kids are off visiting her parents, his nephew is asleep, so goes to take a nap. Wakes up and of course, all has gone to hell (don't you hate it when you sleep through the start of the zombie apocalypse?).

Turns out that El Paso has been infected and the military has blocked off the entire city - no one in, no one out. Jax and Dudley (his nephew) make their way over to his friend Georgie's house to "shelter in place" and that is when the fun starts. The only communication with the outside world as well as within El Paso is on a special website where survivors are calling for help and those outside the "zone" are searching for word about their family and friends. After a few weeks, food is running low and Jax, Dudley, and Kingsley (another friend who made his way to Georgie's house) go out for supplies. In the process, they get trapped in a house with a computer and try to communicate with Georgie to let him know what happened. Of course, no one can remember Georgie's email address so they use the log on name of the family's house where they are trapped which happens to be "The General". One of Jax's other friends, Tito, who is also trapped in his apartment, figures out somehow that this is Jax and asks for him to come rescue him. Of course, Jax says I am on my way thus the legend of the General is born.

The story is all about "The General" and how he tries to save not only his friends but others who are trapped. I don't want to give away more of the story (the stuff that I told thus far is all in "sample" that you can download so no spoilers) but suffice to say that there are some extremely interesting twists that I wasn't expecting at all that really made it a great book.

The main character is not only humorous but down to earth, the dialogue is VERY realistic, you get a variety of views (the interviews switch seamlessly back and forth between the characters), lots of action, and RUNNERS! Personally, if this ever happened to me, I want the slow, shambling variety :-) Oh yeah, and Jax's trusty dog that follows him everywhere - what more can you ask for?

I can't wait to read more by this author and whether you love zombies or just a really great book with character development or new writing styles, I strongly suggest that you buy this book. You won't be disappointed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:31 pm 

Tore through this book last weekend and loved it. A very good twist on zombies. I'll post a longer review when I get home from vacation.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:19 pm 

thanks wrangler......do me a huge favor and post the review on amazon as well. sales are steadily climbing for it, which i hear is rather rare for an indie book. regarless, i'm pretty happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:30 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Will there be an audio version?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:10 pm 

an audio book is something i will look into in the future kirby.....don't know too much about that at the moment

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:28 am 

thanks for the amazon review wrangler!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:24 pm 

So my amazon review was rather short and sweet mostly because the guy the posted a review before me hit all the high points. This book is full of so much win, and not just because it takes place in my hometown!

Here are my three reasons for liking it.

First and foremost I love the character development and writing style! It really brings you into the book and makes you feel like you know the characters. It is formatted in an interview style kind of like World War Z but with a interjections and questions from the reporter through out the interviews. This really makes you feel like you know the characters and what they stand for.

The second reason I love this book is the fast pace action. It seems like the action is always building in this story and the way the author leaves little hints sprinkled through out the action packed sequences really keeps you in the story.

The third and final reason I really like this book is the new take on the zombie genre. It gets away from what has become the standard cause of a zombie outbreak and has gone a little old school if you will. I won't say more than that because I don't want to spoil the book for anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:01 pm 

awesome. thanks for the review, i'm glad you liked it. zombie fans seem to really be going for it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:56 am 

I have this one on my eBook list cant wait to read it and congrats on putting your work out there.

I'm going to be publishing a few eBooks one ZPAW and a couple of PAW type books. I also have a romance novel that Im going to be shopping around. Can you tell us your experince with putting an eBook out and how did you do the cover.

I wish we had a sticky or a thread on publishing for everyone thinking. You guys are blazing a trail for us all.

Cant wait to read your work and congrats man!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:46 pm 

hey USMCguysak47,

i hope you enjoy it. my experience has been really incredible. sales are growing every week. in the first month alone i sold over 70 books. that's gigantic for an unknown author. thing is, i couldn't really tell you why it's selling or getting such good reviews. if i had to guess, i would think that because i am a fan of zombies and horror in general....i'm just giving them what they want. in most other genre's, it might be a bad idea to spend time describing weapons, but my readers love it!!!!!!!
if i were to give you any advice, i would tell you to move your book through amazon. the other places that sell indie books are either not popular enough to benefit you or they are not indie author friendly at all. for example, the nook sort of hides indie authors.
Amazon rocks. they will put your book out there big time and often right next to established authors. just yesterday i signed up with them exclusively.
as for the cover, my friends and i are amateur photographers. so it was kind of easy. we went to a graveyard and took a buch of pictures when the sun lowered into the right place. after that, i just did some fancy photoshop that would attract attention. that's actually me on the cover, so we only needed 3 people.....a zombie, me and someone to take the pic. that being said, don't use a regular picture for your book cover. they don't seem to sell and people pick on them. ur best bet is to find someone that can draw you up a cover. i also understand that there are free covers that can be purchased online.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:39 am 

Ok I just bought it and it better be good! :mrgreen:
I'm looking forward to reading it and supporting another member. I have two ahead so I'll let you know what I think.

Take care and congrats on following through and getting published!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:01 pm 

if you don't like it and you feel the need to tell me so......do it in a pm.....lol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:31 pm 

I'm sure I'm going to love it, I'm starting it tomm.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:02 am 

awesome!!!!!! i hope you do, i'm working on the sequel right now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:42 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm buying it now it popped up in my recommendations the other day and after seeing the reviews on here I'm interested I'll let you know what I think of it, I love helping new authors.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:10 pm 

ahh, thank you. people have been giving me some very nice reviews. makes my day. i hope you like it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:00 pm 

Ok just finished it and I got to say I enjoyed it a lot. Great writing perspective. The characters are enjoyable and the story rolls along very well.

I would definitely recommend this for a different, fresh zombie novel.

Now bring book two! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:47 pm 

awesome, glad u liked it. i just responded to your pm and asked you to post something here, but i guess you beat me to it!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:24 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Before you get your panties in a wad I plan to post this on Amazon as time permits, I just wanted to write down my inital thoughts on this books while it was still fresh in my mind.

I picked up this book to read on my flight from the States back to Afghanistan. I'll be honest I wasn't really expecting all that much, it was a new zombie book by a new author and many time these types of books tend to be a flop just trying to hop one the whole Zombie ban wagon that seems to be cool with the kids these days.

Boy was I wrong. First off I'm stationed in El Paso with the Army so it was really cool to read a book about an area I know, the fact that the book opens up with a bike ride over in a place I've rode my Harley at won massive cool points with me. How ever that doesn't even start to discribe how good this book really is. Right from the start this books sucks you in with the well fleshed out charicters and action. Now I'll be the first to admit I really don't like books that are written from multiple perspectives, that's not because it isn't a way to write, but more just because most authors don't know how to do it right. In the end most books that try this end up with a bunch of short stories rather then a book, this I'm happy to say is not the case in El Paso Under Attack.

The author really knew his stuff when it came to writing from more then one perspective and in many ways it was refeshing and humorus to see the same story that was being told from a different point of view, I have to give the author mad props for pulling this off as well as he did. Also the story is very different from your run of the mill "dead come back shoot them in the head fast" book. Now I don't want to give to much of the plot away because honestly you need to read this story, but I think the author did some thing refreshingly different here that played out into a very well thought out plot that I enjoyed very much.

How ever the reason this won't be getting the full 5 star rating from me that this book very well could have gotten was that as is common with new authors this book could have used some better editing. Other then that this book is very well done and should be on your next to buy list if you are a fan of zombie books.

Also just an aside note that won't be going in the review, a clip is some thing that holds bullets to insert them into a gun, a mag how ever holds bullets and is inseted into the gun with the bullets still in it, you should look it up there is a difference. :P But all in all great job buddy, I'm really looking forward to the next book you did an awesome job.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:09 pm 

razor, i'm glad you liked it. i didn't know you were stationed in el paso. when you come back, let me know. we'll go shoot some guns.

as far as editing, i ran through it myself looking for errors and after that, i sent it to 3 of my buddies. two of which have a doctorate in english and the other has a masters. so, a serious effort was made by some serious people. you wouldn't believe the arguments we sometimes had. all in all, i'm happy with the editing . . . but it's entirely possible that there may be a mistake or two.

good call on the clip vs mag, i didn't know that.

and since you seem to know guns, can you tell me the difference between a suppressor and a silencer?

be safe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:31 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Shooting guns sounds like a good time for sure, where do you like to shoot at?

Honestly the editing really wasn't an issue, I think I counted maybe 3 or 4 times where a word was left out or you could tell a letter was missing (I vs it) but really it did not detract at all from the story and it was about the only thing that I really had any issue with in the book. You know how when some thing is really good you have to start really nitpicking to find some thing wrong with it. :P

A suppressor is what you see on the end of an M-16 or M-4, or most military weapons. It's the thing on the very end that is solid on the bottom and has slots on top. The idea is to let the exhaust gases escape from the top, reducing the upwards jerk inherit in a rifle. This is especially useful for automatic machine guns. The AK-47 takes it a step further and slants the solid part to one side since it will jerk upwards and to the non-firing side of your body. By putting it on the side, it lessens both axises of movement. Suppressors also have an added benefit of not setting the grass under the barrel on fire.

A silencer is what you see in assassin movies that reduces the noise of a being fired by changing the way the sonic crack of the bullet leaving the barrel sounds it also can change the way the gas escapes from the weapon as well making it act as a suppressor as well.

This was one thing you got right in your book and did a good job discribing was the silencers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:44 am 

we normally go shooting out past a place called the wall. it's over in new mexico by the border patrol station. there's a bunch of people that go out there.

so if i wanted to use an mp7 without making a loud bang, i should use a silencer????

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:35 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I know where the BP station is, I once had to ruck march out there it was a long day. I normally shoot either at the rod and reel or out by where I live on the east side.

And yes if you wanted to make it make less noise that's how you would do it.