Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Making an Armory
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:33 pm 

Kutter_0311 wrote:
I'm gonna hafta say it: PICS, OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! :wink:

If you can take pics without endangering the security of the room, then this ^.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:50 am 

Ill see about taking some next time I'm out there. Not so much worried about showing the room just not the workings of it.

Cheers!

"I don't always kill zombies in the apocalypse, but when I do, I wear a Zombie Squad T-shirt."

My bob (bugout bike) on a budget project.
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=88262

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:03 am 

I`m sure most have seen it.

But its still awesome ...

http://www.ssqq.com/archive/vinlin19.htm

The mythical use of tampons to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out n get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump 75lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip,all the while chewin on a snake like beef jerky.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:38 am 

T-Boon wrote:

While I'm obviously NOT going to advocate the illegal growing of certain plants, I have to admire the amount of thought and effort that went into this. Too bad the house itself was burned down- that would make a GREAT home with a HUGE Armory, ready made. I would look at the way they did things for the cave, and copy the heck out of it- just skip the pot growing and the jail time.

The pot growers got busted from the electrical use, as many do. An armory would not need so much, as most of the electrical consumption would be climate control and lighting, neither of which needs to be exorbitant. Even if you installed machining equipment to do your own gunsmithing, a personal sized set up wouldn't draw crazy amounts. Not that owning an armory of your own is illegal in itself, but why give anyone clues to it's existence, even anonymous strangers at the utility company?

A couple design changes I'd suggest: Don't have the entrance in your garage- unless you're going to involve a complicated interlock that won't open the armory door unless the garage doors are closed, it's a lot easier to use and conceal an entrance somewhere inside the house. The 'escape hatch' had an awesome cover- beautiful job of camouflage on the exit, but if you notice the view up the escape route, it's a 150 foot climb straight up- break up the climb with levels that do not have a straight drop from the top to bottom- imagine losing your grip just a few rungs short of escape, and falling the entire distance, probably beating your chin on every rung on the way down. The hydraulic door system is nice, but be sure to include some sort of manual method- it would suck to starve to death because the power went out, or a hose burst on the hydraulics.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:51 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

T-Boon wrote:

Had not seen that before very cool (well besides the whole growing pot thing, murder and theft of power) To bad I'm pretty sure we all missed the chance at the auction the place though :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:45 am 

Sckitzo wrote:
T-Boon wrote:

Had not seen that before very cool (well besides the whole growing pot thing, murder and theft of power) To bad I'm pretty sure we all missed the chance at the auction the place though :lol:

If i remember right, on tv I saw a cheese producer bought the lot/cave, the cave is the perfect place to age the cheese

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:43 am 

xLionx wrote:
Sckitzo wrote:
T-Boon wrote:

If i remember right, on tv I saw a cheese producer bought the lot/cave, the cave is the perfect place to age the cheese

Constant, cool temps, pretty stable humidity- caves work well for a lot of uses. In my area, cement mining was done all over, resulting in cave networks that spread, in some cases, over a few townships. When the cement mining industry developed better refinement methods for the limestone, they shifted to open quarry mining, abandoning the old shaft mines. One of them was converted to growing mushrooms, and was big enough that my father, a truck driver, was able to turn a tractor trailer around inside it. The cave network in the area is now flooded, and impassable- we've lost a few experienced divers as proof. Lost, as in; we haven't found them yet. And probably never will.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:27 am 

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
Lost, as in; we haven't found them yet. And probably never will.

So its not an underwater cave, its verythin human soup :?

The setup there would have prolly been sustainable if they were a bit smarter ( hey I need another transformer for my - insert legal reason here - ill pay cash and pay for all the power. example in Breaking Bad where they disguise a meth lab under a drycleaning buisness.

and as far as having excape routes onto other peoples properties is also a bit of a bad/illegal idea.

I do wonder if criminals are doing this same thing better in secret and we dont know about it. Lighting tech gets better and the power requirements get lower who knows.

The mythical use of tampons to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out n get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump 75lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip,all the while chewin on a snake like beef jerky.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:45 am 

T-Boon wrote:
KnightoftheRoc wrote:

The setup there would have prolly been sustainable if they were a bit smarter ( hey I need another transformer for my - insert legal reason here - ill pay cash and pay for all the power. example in Breaking Bad where they disguise a meth lab under a drycleaning buisness.

and as far as having excape routes onto other peoples properties is also a bit of a bad/illegal idea.

I do wonder if criminals are doing this same thing better in secret and we dont know about it.
Lighting tech gets better and the power requirements get lower who knows.

If they ARE doing it better, and in secret, we'll never know. The only ones we hear about are the ones that failed- there's GOT to be some where they got it right.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:31 am 

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
T-Boon wrote:

While I'm obviously NOT going to advocate the illegal growing of certain plants, I have to admire the amount of thought and effort that went into this. Too bad the house itself was burned down- that would make a GREAT home with a HUGE Armory, ready made. I would look at the way they did things for the cave, and copy the heck out of it- just skip the pot growing and the jail time.

The pot growers got busted from the electrical use, as many do. An armory would not need so much, as most of the electrical consumption would be climate control and lighting, neither of which needs to be exorbitant. Even if you installed machining equipment to do your own gunsmithing, a personal sized set up wouldn't draw crazy amounts. Not that owning an armory of your own is illegal in itself, but why give anyone clues to it's existence, even anonymous strangers at the utility company?

A couple design changes I'd suggest: Don't have the entrance in your garage- unless you're going to involve a complicated interlock that won't open the armory door unless the garage doors are closed, it's a lot easier to use and conceal an entrance somewhere inside the house. The 'escape hatch' had an awesome cover- beautiful job of camouflage on the exit, but if you notice the view up the escape route, it's a 150 foot climb straight up- break up the climb with levels that do not have a straight drop from the top to bottom- imagine losing your grip just a few rungs short of escape, and falling the entire distance, probably beating your chin on every rung on the way down. The hydraulic door system is nice, but be sure to include some sort of manual method- it would suck to starve to death because the power went out, or a hose burst on the hydraulics.

It occurs to me that if you wanted to be very clever, you would rig a switch in another room that enables the door to unlock (ie: a second set of solenoid-activated deadbolts), so that simply picking the safe lock door isn't enough. That said, thick concrete walls, a sturdy door, and a good alarm/security system would probably be good enough security - afterall, the small gun shops in town have WINDOWS with bars on them, and yet they don't get robbed (at least, none have in my town in the past 10+ years), and gun shops (probably) have more firearms than most individuals.

Oneswunk wrote:
Im going to come up with tactical yam powder... Millions I will make. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:24 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Fuck it. Hidden access, 2-way wormhole for me. now worries about fire, burglary etc. And I have a BOL all ready to go :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:21 pm 
BullOnParade wrote:
Cinder block walls, lined with steel plating, and you can use fire resistant drywall boarding to finish the inside. .

Now comes one of these hated technology from Germany things. If you can't take it, don't read it.

Cinder blocks are nice, but my sledgehammer is nicer, because it goes through it like butter. Yes you have steel plating, but why make it so strange when there is one way, every bunker and every public building in Europe is build:

Steel reinforced concrete.

I know that you probably can't put this in a room of the most houses in my area, because they are build out of wood and would collapse under the weight. I don't know what your house is build of, but 4 walls made this way with a ceiling of the same stuff does not only make you a nice safe type room, you could use it as a bunker as wekk.

Steel reinforced concrete has some advantages you cant get from any other material.
Steel alone gets soft in a fire, and concrete crumples in high heat, but both together will stick together and make it a structure that is hard to destroy.

Look at all the bunkers in Germany, and how much explosives were needed to remove them after the war, this stuff is what secured rooms are made of.

And if you want to use it as a safe room, make it a little bigger and put in a AC

But this is only my German opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:34 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I would assume that by cinderblock walls, he means concrete block with rebar in the hollow parts of the block then filled with concrete... aka steel reinforced concrete.

If this is not what he meant, it should have been.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:51 pm 

I don't feel the need to display my guns - (except on the internet damn you zombiesquad for seducing me into poor opsec!

Why not just put the safe (or safes) inside the secret/secured room?

A nice big walk in closet would work just fine. Stick a safe and a dehumidfier in it. Then work on concealing/fortifying it at your convenience.

Beats my "put a Chinese paper screen in front of the safe" solution all to pulp.

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:04 pm 

The problem with discussing, and asking about how to build, a "Hidden" Armory on the internet is that once you post about something on the internet, anyone, with a little effort, can see it. You are also going to be WAY too tempted to show it of and therefore, it is no longer a secret.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:17 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

MacAttack wrote:
The owner agreed to put everything back to the way it was back then if we agreed to not tell anyone about it.

So...how have you been doing with that? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:54 pm 

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
T-Boon wrote:
KnightoftheRoc wrote:

I do wonder if criminals are doing this same thing better in secret and we dont know about it.
Lighting tech gets better and the power requirements get lower who knows.

If they ARE doing it better, and in secret, we'll never know. The only ones we hear about are the ones that failed- there's GOT to be some where they got it right.

On a long enough timeline, I bet almost everything fails. The pyramids got ransacked, Al Capone's vault got opened, someone someday will literally trip over Jimmy Hoffa's femur at a construction site. I've found a couple "spooker" stashes behind the panelling and under floorboards of houses we bought and renovated. Little cache's of money, jewelry, weapons, hooch or substances someone hid for a rainy day, but never managed to access before they went to jail/fled town/went wherever they went. One looked like a place where a guy was just hiding booze and mad money from the wife. The other looked like a drug dealer's bug out stash.

One question you have to ask, before deciding how much effort to spend hiding/fortifying, is who's going to be looking for mt stuff and how hard" or "how closely will anyone be looking at me?"

Dress and talk like Burt Gummer and everyone will just assume you have an armory - they'll probably assume you have a much bigger one than you actually do.

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.