It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ZCON 2011 Debrief Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:40 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

So, I managed to be the first injury at ZCon 2011: The Year No One Dies.

We were at the cabin dropping off our personal gear before hauling all of the base camp equipment up the mountain. That's right. I hurt myself before we even got to the fucking mountain. It'd been raining for quite a few days and the cabin stairs were wet and covered in moss or algae; some kind of slimy green shit.

My right foot slipped out from under me and my left foot followed. Both of my legs went up in the air, well over my ass. I imagine I looked like a cartoon character slipping on a banana peel. I came down on the second step square on my tail bone. I tucked my head into my chest so I wouldn't crack my skull, but the impact knocked my sunglasses off the top of my head and they made a sickening *crack* noise when they hit the porch. Everyone thought I nailed my noggin.

I jumped right up and was duly chastised by Kevin (our medic) for doing so. He checked me over and nothing was broken so I carried on. Here's a picture taken by Crypto at the ZSC:001 meeting on Sunday:

Anyway, the drive in for the advance party was a nightmare. It started storming so bad we had to pull the convoy over two or three times. The wipers on the ZS van also stopped working for a while. It was a bit scary, but we all survived.

We stopped at little joint called Blakes BBQ House in Desloge. I ordered Mary's Big Bowl of Slop: pulled pork, baked beans, cheesy mashed potatoes, gravy and coleslaw.

Horatio_Tyllis was awesome enough to [s]smuggle[/s] import my favorite candies.

Sitting around the cabin playing with the bug zapper.

Blackjack. The land owners' neighbors moved out and abandoned this poor guy.

Sunrise at the cabin.

Crossing the creek to set up camp.

Base camp, before all the setup.

Our strange cousin from the North.

My camp site:

Random pic from around camp.

First aid seminar.

Random shot at base camp.

Manbath (tm) from above.

Range day.

Will showing off his pirate pistol.

A tale of two ZS lowers.

Dimmie, winning the slow rifle competition, like a boss.

Chicago likes bayonets.

Drewder's got a little captain in him.

Who's this? Oh, it's the guy from California who hasn't shot an AR in 13 years coming in second place in the timed rifle competition. That's who!

Time to go home.

My favorite story from ZCon happened Saturday morning and has no pictures. A few of us volunteers were cooking breakfast. Drewder comes over and asks what he can do to help.

Me: I could use some more firewood.
Drewder: No problem, boss.
Me: Watch out. There's a red wasp over there.
Drewder: Where?
Me: Right on that log I want you to chop up
Drewder: *dirty stare* Oh, fuck.
Me: Kill it with the axe
Drewder: *derisive laughter* Yeah, there's no fucking way I can kill it with the axe
(Drewder heads towards the log and picks up the axe)
*THUNK*
Drewder: Hahaha, holy shit. I killed it with the fucking axe

Another good one was Will getting the ZS van stuck when we were leaving.

The van got stuck perpendicular to the "road" (it was really just a directional mud pit) and we had to dig out the bumper and trailer hitch. We tried putting rocks under the tires, but the rear wheels still couldn't get any traction.

Kyle ended up ramming the van with his truck, moving the van about four inches so Will could finish turning around.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:28 pm 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Reposting my original reply:

We've made it home to the Chicago area, unloaded, showered, and still chugging water :)

Thank you once again to ZSC:001 for your kind hospitality, and thank you to the property owners once again.

Zombie Con VII was awesome beyond words. I took many pics, here are a few just off the top, before I lay me down to sleep.

The Mountain:

ManBath:

The View from Top Camp:

Range Day:

Canoe Trip:

I will post more when I get the chance.

Thank you Zombie Squad, for being made out of two parts awesome and one part win.

Added:

Here's the wasps that were giving everyone such trouble:

My wife Tinyang's pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/gnaynit/Zcon2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCOmrzbm7l_TyIg

and ErieQuiet's epically burned neck, from the Range Day I believe:

mystic_1

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:36 pm 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

BTW if I've done the following correctly, these links should lead you to Google's cached version of the original version of this thread:

Page 1:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... google.com

Page 2:

hope this helps some of you

mystic_1

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:24 pm 

We had an awesome time and met so many people we can hardly remember all the names. Next year we will def try to pack lighter but if I let Jonnie pack again it won't happen lol. We also won't bother packin that big ol cooler up to our campsite as that was nothing but a pain in the butt. Next year we definitely will bring some of our arsenal so we can go play at range day, we only left em cuz we had no idea what to expect and erred on the cautious side. Biggest thing we learned was our bov needs lifted 2-3 inches and fabrication of a skid plate to protect the oil and tranny pans as the very first thing we did at Zcon was get stuck on a stump which dented the oil pan up into the oil pick up tube. Needless to say that doesn't make for a long lasting engine and 50-60 miles from home , on I44 of all places, she locked up tight :( and yes I should have checked it out better dooohh. I had planned on doing it anyways but just never did it since the van has done everything ive ever asked of it including offroad action a whole lot worste than Zcon. Our van is known widely around here as "super van" due to the loads I haul with it but after I resurrect her im givin it a new name "zombie van" lol. Special thanks to Drewster for bein our chaufer as with out that we woulda prob lost the eng on float trip day or just outside of Petosi and I woulda hated towing it that far home.

Daryl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:04 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

mystic_1 wrote:
BTW if I've done the following correctly, these links should lead you to Google's cached version of the original version of this thread:

Page 1:

Page 2:

hope this helps some of you

mystic_1

Thanks!

How long do those cache's stick around?

If you are the owner of any of the cached posts above, you might want to copy/paste the content and re-post up in here.

Sorry again for losing the data folks...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:12 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Well for all of those that saw me on Saturday or those that heard about my little trip to the ER I thought I'd let you see...

https://picasaweb.google.com/bebaker22/20110625Hospitalization?authkey=Gv1sRgCLG_spXvj6ma_AE

Ended up spending 5 total days in the hospital, 3 of which I spent in the ICU...

Other than that I had a good ZCon. Thanks to everyone who packed up my gear. I honestly didn't expect to have to be admitted, I figured I would spend a few hours in the ER and then be back at ZCon... Nurses are the worst patients. :D

I barely survived Zombie Con 2011! 5 days in the hospital, 3 in the ICU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:27 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

the repost:

Home, showered, and warm with the afterglow of Z-Con.

What an awesome time. Thanks to all of you people, you rock.

Post those pictures, cause I didn't take any. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:33 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Glad to see you're ok. Apparently your area was booby trapped, Drewder got stung by something while breaking down your camp.

I got eaten alive by chiggers at Z-Con 2011

LifeStraw Review
Chinese Wonder Shovel Review

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:11 am 
BANNED

I just got the email from camp-at-zombiehunters-dot-org with the survey attached.

Notepad++ said it was 94 lines, in total, with a couple lines being a paragraph in length. I guess I wrote a lot. :O

Great job guys. Seriously ZCon was the best week I can remember in a long time.

I guess I'm technically supposed to say the birth of my son was the best -day- of my life, but let's be honest - that week sucks for the dad. Your wife is at her most needy, most helpless, you have a ton of work to do, your stress levels are through the roof with worry about supplying everything that baby needs, hoping your wife has no medical complications, that your baby has no complications - comes out with 10 fingers, 10 toes, and let's face it, for me, lack of a furry pelt. That gushy shit about his birth being the best time of my life is crap. It's the compilation of the great days and weeks with him that came afterward that makes the great times.

So I can honestly say that ZCon was the best consecutive 7 days of my life, since I was up in the Lou on Monday night until the following Monday morning.

(Son, if you read this, too bad.)

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:21 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

JamesCannon wrote:
Great job guys. Seriously ZCon was the best week I can remember in a long time.

I guess I'm technically supposed to say the birth of my son was the best -day- of my life, but let's be honest - that week sucks for the dad. Your wife is at her most needy, most helpless, you have a ton of work to do, your stress levels are through the roof with worry about supplying everything that baby needs, hoping your wife has no medical complications, that your baby has no complications - comes out with 10 fingers, 10 toes, and let's face it, for me, lack of a furry pelt. That gushy shit about his birth being the best time of my life is crap. It's the compilation of the great days and weeks with him that came afterward that makes the great times.

So I can honestly say that ZCon was the best consecutive 7 days of my life, since I was up in the Lou on Monday night until the following Monday morning.

(Son, if you read this, too bad.)

Win...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:46 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Reminds me of a line from that phone commercial from a few years back.

"while shes getting the best drugs insurance can buy your living off of ice chips and what you can find in the vending machine"

And i thought you were supposed to say the best day of your life had something to do with your significant other.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:18 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

1SR437 wrote:
Glad to see you're ok. Apparently your area was booby trapped, Drewder got stung by something while breaking down your camp.

Yup. and then took enough Benadryl to knock out a drewder.

Pix will be posted soon.

*even the wise man dwells in a fool's paradise

Survived ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon X
Survived ZombieCon X
Stayed toasty warm at ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon Twenty Eleven
Barely survived ZombieCon 2011

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:57 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

drewder wrote:
1SR437 wrote:

Pix will be posted soon.

Thanks for shoving everything in my backpack. Interesting packing method for sure. :) The doctor says it was officially not Z-Con that tried to kill me!!! We are looking at Zithromax, Catfish, or something in the seasonings.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:05 pm 
BANNED

Raptor 6 wrote:
Reminds me of a line from that phone commercial from a few years back.

"while shes getting the best drugs insurance can buy your living off of ice chips and what you can find in the vending machine"

And i thought you were supposed to say the best day of your life had something to do with your significant other.

Lol. Divorced and currently unattached. No worries about forgetting important moments for now.

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:06 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

bethanyb wrote:
drewder wrote:
1SR437 wrote:

Pix will be posted soon.

Thanks for shoving everything in my backpack. Interesting packing method for sure. :) The doctor says it was officially not Z-Con that tried to kill me!!! We are looking at Zithromax, Catfish, or something in the seasonings.

I don't know who finished packing after I did, but no matter, I will say it was probably better than leaving it there or setting it in the fire. :mrgreen:

So here are the pix I promised again:
The Osprey ShadowMT and I saw before leaving the STL:

Video:

Wicked Storm on the way down (possible funnel clouds)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD0XmklC--4 (kill your volume as it is loud)

Making Cheese with Sylvia

Hughes Mountain:
Spinal Tap version of Devil's Tower
Missouri Cactus (don't play with these, they f#cking sting. . . as someone in the group quickly learned)
Hawk finds bugs having sex

RANGE DAY

People shooting my Steyr M9 A1

Cowboys:

Pirates:

Saturday Night Storm:

Hoping the tent won't blow away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27JMC-5d ... re=related

Back in the STL
Aleks holds Jasmine (Ball Python)

One of our friends that stayed a day or two extra decided to get some ZS ink

All in all it was a great time with the exception of getting stung/bitten on the neck/spine area and then taking too much Benadryl before the final load out. Hope everyone else had as much fun as I did.

*even the wise man dwells in a fool's paradise

Survived ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon X
Survived ZombieCon X
Stayed toasty warm at ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon Twenty Eleven
Barely survived ZombieCon 2011

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:21 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

drewder wrote:
I don't know who finished packing after I did, but no matter, I will say it was probably better than leaving it there or setting it in the fire. :mrgreen:

Yeah, my vote was to kill your campsite and all your gear with fire after drewder got stung. Sorry, bethany.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:15 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Looks like a good time. I miss my Ball python. One of these day gotta get another.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:02 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Our Social Media volunteer guy threw together a Zombie Con page here if you would like to share stuff there: https://www.facebook.com/#!/ZSZombieCon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:18 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:
drewder wrote:

Yeah, my vote was to kill your campsite and all your gear with fire after drewder got stung. Sorry, bethany.

Isn't "kill it with fire" a standard ZS tactic? Also Whisk.e's favorite.

I got eaten alive by chiggers at Z-Con 2011

LifeStraw Review
Chinese Wonder Shovel Review

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:39 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

1SR437 wrote:
Isn't "kill it with fire" a standard ZS tactic? Also Whisk.e's favorite.

I prefer "drown it with whisky then set it on fire."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:22 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Well thanks for not burning my shit... :D Honestly I'm just glad that most everything made it back. I'm missing a few things but nothing really big. The only thing I don't have is my cook pot. If anyone has it let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:28 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

bethanyb wrote:
Well thanks for not burning my shit... :D Honestly I'm just glad that most everything made it back. I'm missing a few things but nothing really big. The only thing I don't have is my cook pot. If anyone has it let me know.

Did you leave it at basecamp? If so, it probably ended up in storage. Anything at base camp was unceremoniously tossed into totes and then into the van.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:16 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I definitely need to make it out to this next year!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:14 am 

awesome picture from atop hughes mountain
my charred neck

technician level ham \ Range Safety Officer

RIP- FiftySticks