Gurthy's IFAK - Updated!

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gurthy

Gurthy's IFAK - Updated!

Post by Gurthy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Updated IFAK post here.....

This is my Gun Shot Wound / Blow Out FAK. It usually resides in a HSGI Bleeder Pouch (with some OD green trauma shears) but I'll occasionally pull it out and drop it in a range bag if the LBE stays home. I have it sealed in a durable waterproof vacuum bag because that's how I roll (plus I spent enough time in the field to know better). Total size is aprox. 7" x 3 1/2" x 2".

Contents-

Coban
Kerlix (vacuum sealed to save space)
NPA (w/ Surgilube)
NAR decompression needle
Field dressing
Duct tape (4')
Nitrile gloves
CAT

Sealed

HSGI Bleeder Pouch (after seeing this photo I removed the red tape but kept the red 550 cord)

Last edited by Gurthy on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

claren

Re: Gurthy's GSW FAK

Post by claren » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:32 am

Good set-up, with two thoughts:

1. What's the Coban for ? I think you'd be better served with actual tape.

2. You can get just as much gauze in a more compact package with a priMed gauze square.
The stars at night...

Ech0Sierra

Post by Ech0Sierra » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:28 pm

The field dressing is kind of outdated, I'd replace it with an Izzy, Olaes, or ETD. Other than that, a good setup for the minimal space the Bleeder Pouch gives you. Seconding the idea of the PriMed gauze.
EDIT: A dedicated chest seal like the Asherman or the Bolin would be a good addition along with some heavy tape such as duct tape. Use the chest seal on the entry wound and tape some plastic to the exit wound. Makes sense to have one if you have a decompression needle anyway.

Gurthy

Post by Gurthy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:11 pm

claren wrote: 1. What's the Coban for ? I think you'd be better served with actual tape.
2. You can get just as much gauze in a more compact package with a priMed gauze square.
I like to use Coban on extremity wounds because it provides slight compression and is cohesive so works well when wet, etc... I'm thinking I'll use it over the field dressing or with the Kerlix for a minor wound.
Ech0Sierra wrote:The field dressing is kind of outdated, I'd replace it with an Izzy, Olaes, or ETD. Other than that, a good setup for the minimal space the Bleeder Pouch gives you. Seconding the idea of the PriMed gauze.
EDIT: A dedicated chest seal like the Asherman or the Bolin would be a good addition along with some heavy tape such as duct tape. Use the chest seal on the entry wound and tape some plastic to the exit wound. Makes sense to have one if you have a decompression needle anyway.
I have about a dozen old-school field dressings kicking around and they are more compact than the new stuff but I'll replace them eventually. Good suggestion on the ACS but I I'll probably rely on plastic wrap and duct tape to get me back to my aid bag until I can't resist the urge to update the kit :wink:

Hmmm..two votes for priMed, I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for the comments!

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:00 am

I think you need an occlusive dressing or 2 by hyfin. Also, combat gauze work well to pack exit wounds. Then use those old dressings on top of the gauze, or get an isreali dressing. I use kerlex to dress amputations and minor GSW but for a possible arterial, get combat gauze with the quick clot. I love ace bandages too, lose the metalclips and get yourself some 3 inch tape if you take that road
The future is for those who prepare.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:11 am

Gurthy wrote:I have about a dozen old-school field dressings kicking around and they are more compact than the new stuff but I'll replace them eventually.
THROW THAT NASTY OLD SHIT IN THE TRASH CAN!

If you can't bring yourself to junk the gear, I know where you're coming from, I hate wasting stuff too. Relegate it to training.

THE REASON I SAY THIS: Summer before last, I stopped to render aid at an accident. Having only the FAK from my battle rattle, I whipped out ye olde classic field dressing to apply it to this guys bloody face wound. I remembered how from my military training, but when I opened the dressing, nothing was as it should be. I pulled the ends of the ties, and it all fell apart. Somehow, the gear I was trained to trust had gone soft on me.

In light of this, I did some Google-fu, and turned up the new style Izzy's and this marvelous Mecca of knowledge, ZS.

I ordered some new Izzy's and TQ's for T&E, worked with them, and found much improvement. ZS has also been worth every penny.

THE MORAL: Old gear is only useful so long, and trauma gear doesn't age as well at tactical gear...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:18 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote: I pulled the ends of the ties, and it all fell apart. Somehow, the gear I was trained to trust had gone soft on me.
I have had this happen to me as well, but luckily I was just at home playing around with it. Surplus bandages are bad.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:44 am

I remember dressings surviving many uses in training, but I guess they degrade after a few years...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:33 am

This is why we rotate medical supplies.....
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

Gurthy

Gurthy's IFAK Version 2.0

Post by Gurthy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:54 am

After reading all the responses here and after some further research and testing I have updated my kit. Out of curiosity and after reading Kutter's tale I started by opening and inspecting my oldest field dressing (they're not really that old); it was still in great shape and since all of the other dressings are much newer I have decided to continue using them. However, my new primary dressing is the 4" Israeli. I like the ability to easily apply direct pressure to the wound with the Izzy. I experimented with ZPak gauze and although my vacuum packed Kerlix is more compact I like the ease of use of the Z-Pak. I also added an ACS because it was small and easy to use but I'll still rely on plastic and tape for exit wounds and second open chest wounds.

I abandoned my beloved Bleeder Pouch for a larger pouch. The new one is aprox. the same size as the standard IFAK pouch (or a hair larger than a 100rd SAW pouch)...since I was starting fresh I sewed on a medical cross patch for ID instead of going ghetto with a Sharpie. Finally, because I had the room I moved my boo-boo pack to the pouch and threw in a CPR Microshield.

My camera skills still suck....

Gurthy's IFAK Version 2.0

Trauma Pack Contents-

4" Izzy Bandage
Z-Pak Gauze
Field Dressing, Small
Combat Application Tourniquet
Asherman Chest Seal
ARS Decompression Needle
NPA, 28 fr, w/ Surdilube
Duct Tape, 2" x 5 yds
Nitrile Gloves (2 pr)