It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sabercut Saw Review
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:09 pm 

Sabercut Saw
http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/camping ... CutSaw.php

I've been looking to get one of these for some time now. When I took it out of the package I was excited with how solid it felt, and the nice pouch it came with. Unfortunately it was raining out at the time, so I couldn't run out and test it. However today was just right to give it a backyard test.

I selected a random down branch that was about a 1.5" in diameter.

I didn't make a lot of head way at first, but I flipped the blade over to the other side and started to really shine through.

Here's the branch cut, but I finished it off with a light kick to split the middle.

I think I expected a little bit too much out of this saw at first. I thought it would zip through wood like a hot knife through butter, but that just isn't the case. You're going to get a little work-out pull back and forth. It didn't help that I had to stop every few seconds because the branch slipped from my boot. I will say this though, it's a ba-jillion times better than your "picture frame wire" survival saws. It will stay in my Personal Survival Kit, but for any large/long outtings I think a full size axe would be better.

Edit: To update links.

Also, Update: At first attempt in the text above I was using the wrong side! Whoops! I've since used it on a recent backpacking trip to take down a 6 inch diameter "widow maker" dead tree with it. And the Sabercut looks as new as I got it.

the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Last edited by Murph on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Sabercut Saw Review
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:45 pm 

That's a nifty little trick. I knew there had to be something like that out there.

Is there any noticeable difference between that chain and chainsaw chain?

(That is, if'n I wanted to build one of these, that's what I could use?)

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Suizen wrote:
(damned to hell reason and logic... who needs it?! PANIC SQUAD!!! UNITE!)

Chapter XV: ZS, California-Style

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:58 pm 

Real_Ale_Act wrote:
That's a nifty little trick. I knew there had to be something like that out there.

Is there any noticeable difference between that chain and chainsaw chain?

(That is, if'n I wanted to build one of these, that's what I could use?)

They say on their website/video that it is a chainsaw chain. It has end peices that look like sling swivels that attach the hand loops. And now that I think about it, this would be stupid easy to make with a spare/broken chainsaw chain.

the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm 

The critical point would be how the handles attach to the chain. I might have to try making one, just for the accomplishment of making it. I've got one of those "picture-hanger" wire ones also and I don't ever want to have to depend on it.

(I should probably admit I also have a 10" folding saw in my car, just in case I should need to do some minor brush/tree limb clearing from the road on my drive down from them thar hills into work. ...2 is 1 and all that :lol: )

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Suizen wrote:
(damned to hell reason and logic... who needs it?! PANIC SQUAD!!! UNITE!)

Chapter XV: ZS, California-Style

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:15 pm 

I have a one of the thin wire saws. I was expecting it to snap after a few uses but it has held together so far. It is effective on small branches and twigs but when trying to sever a substantial piece of firewood or what have you, its not long before you find yourself resorting to smashing the wood with rocks and inevitably, yanking it apart with bare hands. There is some appeal to the little weight and space they occupy, but on my last backpacking trip I didn't mind hiking my tomohawk instead.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I have the "pocket chainsaw" brand version, and it works pretty well, allthough more testing is needed. Here's a link w/ video of it cutting through a 4" tree in 10 seconds

http://www.pocketchainsaw.com/

For honest, in-depth gear reviews, please visit:
http://www.good-kit.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:05 pm 

There is a difference between this and a chainsaw chain.
A chainsaw has all the teeth in one direction on the sabercut there are like three in one direction then three in the other direction alternating.
Still seems doable though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:07 pm 

Being a bit of a chainsaw guy, I'm thinking that the sabercut chain may be filed a bit differently from standard chain. My guess is that it's a pico (little,narrow) chain, and it is probably filed to a steeper angle than the usual 30 deg or so. Also, the rakers are probably set so that the chain doesn't dig in too much. If you had a rivet spinner, you could likely make one up out of old saw chains, but it might be a bit tedious without one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:52 pm 

The cuts on the top of the chain seem to alternate based on where they are compared to the middle. This picture is of the middle of the chain.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:38 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I picked up this as part of a survival kit and later those little cutting wire saws. The wire saws are good for things that you could also cut with a good knife... sticks up to 1.5" or so unless you are really really patient. The sabercut, like Murph showed, gets a bit better but for the life of me, I think these things are cooler looking than they are functional. If you didn't have a good fixed blade or machette or ax, these are a lot lighter and fit in pockets very easily... but for ZS, we all have like what? 20 different knives?

The only thing I can imagine using these saws for is when my OCD kicks in while building a debris hut and I'm thinking, "Must have squared edges..."

My ZS Introduction and 1st Post
Epilepsy in PAW and my 3 Day Bug Out Bag and IFAK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:40 pm 

I personally would never have any use for something like this, but I do agree that if anything, it's definitely better than one of those survival wire saws.
That video of the pocket chainsaw made it seem incredibly appealing, actually.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:36 am 

For comparison here is a sabercut video

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:29 am 

I've got a cheap "winchester" pocket saw like this one. Used at the COZS camp n shoot last year, and came to the conclusion that while it packs smaller than an axe the PITA factor meant it got stuck back in the random gear bucket. Especially after I got The gerber survival saw at County Comm to help round out an order. It just seems to work better for me. For one, I could hold my material with one hand, instead of having to use both hands for the saw. As always, YMMV.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:42 am 

Good point congochris!

I have a Gerber folding saw and I'd have to say that it rocks. However, if I was tossed out in the woods with just my PSK, I'd be at a loss. It's the right tool for the job, kind of thing. The Gerber is great if I know I'm going to use it. The Sabercut will be great for when I didn't know I'd need something.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:28 pm 

Its my impression that the sabersaw is more of an INCH item. Designed for felling trees instead of cutting limbs. I could see this being used for building a log cabin. Yes it could be done with axe alone but this would be less strenuous.

JMHO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:53 pm 

Thanks for this review. I have considered buying this many times in the past, especially since the thin wire "commando saws" or whatever the fuck they're called...well they just look like shit and I would never trust those for any survival situation. I guess for a smaller E & E bag or smaller BOB this would be a more viable option if space was an issue and you couldn't fit a folding saw.

Donate Blood: http://www.redcross.org/
Check out my bob: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=49972

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:35 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I have one! I love it! And, strongly recommend it. Actually, I use it more often than I expected when I was buying it. I take it with me on small hikes a lot. It's light and compact. If I want to start a fire and need to cut wood, I pull it out when I have fairly large pieces of wood that I can not break. No need to carry a folding saw or such. Great piece of equipment. One of my favorite actually.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:55 pm 

The technique used in the video looks dangerous;
The tree could fall on you , and that guy is nearly hugging the tree , and with his hands in the straps it's not going to be easy to jump back.

I think I prefer a proper saw.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:38 pm 

cucaracha44 wrote:
The technique used in the video looks dangerous;
The tree could fall on you , and that guy is nearly hugging the tree , and with his hands in the straps it's not going to be easy to jump back.

I think I prefer a proper saw.

Driving a car is dangerous, I mean you're sitting on 15 gallons of highly flameable gas, and cars can go really fast, and you can be distracted, it's hard to jump out of a car with your seatbelt on... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:54 pm 

I'd get a Sven saw. I think that's the name of it. I used mine to bring home the christmas tree this year. It packs up easy enough and doesn't give you any b.s.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:31 am 

And just so you know. The saw fits perfectly in an Altoids tin.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:45 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I've got one of these (can't remember the make though....Webb-Tex maybe)
Its great for cutting wrist thick and bigger stuff (smaller stuff gets cut with the folding saw). The only problem is if you let the uncut bit get too small, then it'll bind .....Not so bad if you can change your (or its) position, PITA if you're doing pruning work it the garden

Equally happy with green softwood as seasoned hardwood (harder work for you, but the saw will cut either)

Winner, PMBoB

ZS:X- Its time to top Zed and drink Earl Grey... And we're all out of lemon