Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: ZSC:005 WINTERGEDDON X
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:50 pm 

Wintergeddon is an annual right of passage. It is a chance to test your equipment, and knowledge, in a realistic winter survival situation. Wintergeddon X is open to all ZSers in the PNW area (including ZSC:011), and is a "Bring Your Own Gear" Event. This camping trip is incredibly rewarding, and a great way to learn new tips and tricks on how to survive. Participants can quit at any time if tempuratures are to extreme, but survivors of atleast 48 hours will receive the wintergeddon X badge of honor. Last year the PNW tempurature only reached 23°, compared to the NY chapter ZSC:007 who survived below zero conditions. So dress warm, bring your winter gear, and join us for the second annual PNW Wintergeddon.

Date: MLK Weekend January 15th-18th 2010 (Open Ended)
*open ended means that the campground will be occupied for all four days but people can come and go depending on their schedules and tolerances.

Attended:
1. Meantree
2. DropZedFred
3. Lorified
4. Black November
5. Seanwins
6. d.riley
7. Dietrich
8. Pasha
9. Detwolfsdad
10. Red Cell
11. Frasier

*There will be a toilet and sink on-site, but everyone must bring their own toilet paper* [1-2 rolls]

[This Space Reserved for Details TBD]

Pics of Last Years Escapades

SUMMERGEDDON: IX, X, XII, XIII
SUMMER BUG OUT: XIII

Last edited by Black November on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 32 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:49 pm 

I too, am excited. :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:13 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

And let the scheduling hassles begin... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:52 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Fuck you, fuck your freezing camping trip, and fuck your cold-ass wet and frostbitten feet while you stand around a woefully inadequate fire wishing for a warm bed.

I'll see if I can fit it into my schedule. Bastards.

ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:13 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

It fishes with a wire? Nasty Hobbitsess...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:45 pm 

My little patch of craziness is available again for the event this year. But if we want to get a little more remote I can start looking for possible locales.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:18 pm 

When, Where, ande how many pie's do i need to bring?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:15 pm 

DrGonzo wrote:
Fuck you, fuck your freezing camping trip, and fuck your cold-ass wet and frostbitten feet while you stand around a woefully inadequate fire wishing for a warm bed.

So you've done this before? :D

Would anyone else like to recap from last year any valuable lessons learned?

I believe there were just a couple of instances of inadequate protection from the cold.
It is just about impossible to open a child-proof twist-cap medicine bottle when its 30 degrees out.
My BOB does not have waterproof footwear in it, so those need to go in the trunk of the car or have cold wet feet.
Dehydrated camp food does not have much for dietary fiber. Need fruits/veggies at some point, or face the consequences.
Walking 100 yards to refill a 1 qt. nalgene bottle every hour gets old fast.
Bringing a rifle 'without ammo' is not anywhere near as useful as the 'with ammo' option.

..good times

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:35 am 

This sounds like a bad idea, so I'm interested. :P

I've camped in the cold and wet before, been miserable and frostbit, still haven't learned my lessons. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:19 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I'm down - it totally sucked, but was worth it.
I've corrected some of my issues, but the "killer sleepingbag" eludes me - maybe Santa will hook me up?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:55 am 

I learned last year that if you are planning to survive on canned foods, get the low sodium ones.
Using a Nylon/plastic tarp is much warmer than a mesh tent, because it keeps in your body heat and doesn't breath in cold air.
Sleep fully dressed in warm clothes.
a pair of Sandles or cloggs are great for middle of the night peeing.
Most valuable piece of gear is a head lamp.
Thick water proof ground tarps and some kind of padding are key to a good night sleep

P.S. Tarp tents should be at least 12' x 16' if you're tall like me. (Maybe even 12' x 20' ?)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:45 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I second a lot of those tips. I did ok in the hammock, but will add a sleeping bag liner (adds another layer) and still use the ol' "fill a nalgene bottle with boiling water, toss it in the bottom of the bag" trick.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:35 pm 

DAMET! that looks like a miserable, cold, wet, muddy, frozen, good time.... If I can make it I am so in. :shock:

"When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side" -ancient Chinese proverb

C.E.R.T.|EMMCOM|AID & CPR|KE7AYF|G27|G35|AR|12Ga|LX2|Benchmade|4x4| And a bad attitude...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:59 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Dietrich wrote:
I second a lot of those tips. I did ok in the hammock, but will add a sleeping bag liner (adds another layer) and still use the ol' "fill a nalgene bottle with boiling water, toss it in the bottom of the bag" trick.

I also did ok in my hammock, but needed a warmer sleeping bag. This year I'm going to try a couple of different methods

1 warmer bag - just picked up a army surplus down bag for $15 (which now lives in my car)
2 insulate the hammock - to prevent frozen spine (the biggest problem) I'm going to run my hammock through a cheapy sleeping bag so I have two layers under me. (one I sleep on the other hangs below the hammock)
3 extra water bottle/bag and good aim - for middle of the night peeing and to take advantage of the hot water bottle trick. (please lid don't leak) :lol:

Also I've added a carabiner so I can hang my pack from a tree. And just for good measure I'm working on a "woodswalker" wood stove. Most likely any one of these methods would be enough but when in doubt overkill.

DrGonzo wrote:

I'll see if I can fit it into my schedule. Bastards.

And this time I'll remember to bring beer, because beer can make the most miserable experience awesome. :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:15 pm 

Wow, you guys need to work on your sales pitch, cause that doesn't sound enjoyable at all. Regardless, I'm in, because I need the practice and because I'm stupid.

pasha wrote:
...And just for good measure I'm working on a "woodswalker" wood stove. Most likely any one of these methods would be enough but when in doubt overkill.

Totally want to check that out when you get done with it man. Been thinking about making one myself, but wanted to design a tent to go with it, kinda like a total package / unit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:06 pm 

Well noob here so if I can get at least a partial B.O.B. together before this thing then Im down. Any idea at all when this usually goes down so I can expidite and priortize my supply gathering?

"if its to cold, burn more s@#t"

A well prepared, well armed and knowledgeable citizenry being essential to democracy. - Jwookie55

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:38 pm 

Jwookie55 wrote:
Any idea at all when this usually goes down

Yep, I believe we are aiming for late January or February.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:58 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

hatterofmaddness wrote:
Wow, you guys need to work on your sales pitch, cause that doesn't sound enjoyable at all. Regardless, I'm in, because I need the practice and because I'm stupid.

Nah, gotta keep it that way for those of us that are part of the "...this doesn't suck enough" club.
Besides, that way if someone complains we can say we warned them!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:06 pm 

Yep, I believe we are aiming for late January or February.[/quote]

Well if thats true then count me in. I should be able to get a decent B.O.B together by then, nothing amazing but I should live. Any tips on priorities for equipment to survive what sounds like the day hell froze over?

A well prepared, well armed and knowledgeable citizenry being essential to democracy. - Jwookie55

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:59 pm 

Dang, that's the problem with working for a department that has one pick for next year's vacation three months early. I have vacation in early Dec and at the end of the year. Then I don't have any till August (my wife is insisting I get some off in May for my in-law's 50th wedding anniversary). So I'm going to stay warm and dry while you guys suffer. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:01 am 

Jwookie55 wrote:
Yep, I believe we are aiming for late January or February.

Well if thats true then count me in. I should be able to get a decent B.O.B together by then, nothing amazing but I should live. Any tips on priorities for equipment to survive what sounds like the day hell froze over?[/quote]

High quality sleeping bag rated to 0-15 degrees.

Sleeping bag liner.

Insulating ground pad.

ANOTHER insulating ground pad.

Tent.

Carbs!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:44 am 

Well, I have forsaken the sea (due to lack of jobs,) and am starting school (online,) so I am DEFINITELY in.

Illegitimi non Carborundum
ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:07 pm 

http://www.visitrainier.com/index.php?& ... owmobiling

Quote:
The Washington State Parks and Recreation maintains a number of Sno-Parks around the National Park for parking vehicles for winter recreation, for both motorized and non-motorized use.

Sounds like they maintain roads which allow people to get their snow machines up to the trails. That sounds like it would be right up our alley, if true. We could take a bunch of wood and stuff up their and park the cars at the Sno-Park parking lot and just march into the woods a ways and set up camp. We might be camping in deep snow though, which is different than just cold ground.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:26 pm 

Seanwins wrote:
http://www.visitrainier.com/index.php?&gigpag=snowmobiling

Quote:
The Washington State Parks and Recreation maintains a number of Sno-Parks around the National Park for parking vehicles for winter recreation, for both motorized and non-motorized use.

Sounds like they maintain roads which allow people to get their snow machines up to the trails. That sounds like it would be right up our alley, if true. We could take a bunch of wood and stuff up their and park the cars at the Sno-Park parking lot and just march into the woods a ways and set up camp. We might be camping in deep snow though, which is different than just cold ground.

Also found : http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/upload/winter%20camping%20web%20site%20bulletin.pdf (They must allow firepits?)

P.S. Everyone should start stock piling as much firewood as possible now for the trip. Firewood goes quick when you are freezing your ass off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next