Titanium striker. Flint and steel (now Ti).

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Titanium striker. Flint and steel (now Ti).

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:08 pm

Whenever using firecraft I tend to target the same things. Why? Because I really hate failure and lets be honest. The number 1 rule to firecraft is making and holding a fire. Failure is ok if something is learned but it is still failure.

Hydrocarbons. This is the atomic bomb of firecraft. Yes I could make feather sticks but when I have hydrocarbons feather sticks and other methodologies are really for practice. Valuable... yes but I am looking to make fire.

Punk wood is another target as it can do so many things. Best of all it's kinda all over.

To have a percussion based fire I need a rock.

A birch bark plate. I have plans for this.

All of these items can toss a spark but only one will ignite the fluff. I have tried every trick in the book but can't ignite fluff with rock and carbon steel. I even tired to pre char it with multiple spark hits and nothing. On a side note I have yet to see a video (add chaga with quartz to that list) of anyone doing it. Not saying it can't be done but I gave up on it.

Enough talk. Time to GO!

The sparks are white hot. But there is a down side. At least for this striker it takes a good hit with a sharp rock.

Moment of ignition. After trying for years so far this has not grown old. Naturally a ferro rod would get the job done.

Burn.... Note I included bark in the flash over tinder. It is not called flashover by mistake.

Yes... Ti striker igniting a Ti stove cooking on a Ti fry pan. Now you have officially arrived.

Charring without a tin. Ti striker igniting the fluff. I then roll and snuff the fluff.. is that a rhyme... snuff the fluff?

Charred fluff...used a leaf to char ignited with carbon steel. Not sure how many Ti to carbon steel fire chains there are but here is one.

I also started a fire using this tinder bundle ignited via Ti and rock but working one the video.

That's it for now. Will update later

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Titanium striker. Flint and steel (now Ti).

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Here is the video.

jamesraykenney

Post by jamesraykenney » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Wow, I never knew that you could make a striker out of titanium.
How do you harden titanium anyway? And what hardness do you need for a titanium 'steel'???

I do not know how well it would work with the cattail fluff, but I have always had a LOT more success with putting the tinder on the stone and hitting the steel with it...
That way all the sparks go right into the tinder without having time to cool off. It looked like your sparks were nearly burnt out by the time they got to the tinder.
Of course that tinder went up like petrol bomb, so it may be too fast burning for that method.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:52 pm

jamesraykenney wrote:Wow, I never knew that you could make a striker out of titanium.
How do you harden titanium anyway? And what hardness do you need for a titanium 'steel'???

I do not know how well it would work with the cattail fluff, but I have always had a LOT more success with putting the tinder on the stone and hitting the steel with it...
That way all the sparks go right into the tinder without having time to cool off. It looked like your sparks were nearly burnt out by the time they got to the tinder.
Of course that tinder went up like petrol bomb, so it may be too fast burning for that method.
That method will not work for this but like you at times I also put the material on top of the stone. As for how to make one I don't know. Thanks for looking!

Return to “Bushcraft”