It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:25 am 

After the weekend we have all walked away realising we need to buy loads of stuff :)

I am starting this thread so you can post pics / reviews of the stuff you have bought as a direct result of experiences over the weekend. I have ordered quite a few things myself but they havent arrived yet. When they do I will post pics and try to review them.

So come on guys/girl, lets see what you have bought.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:24 am 

Great thread mate. Lol well nothing has arrived as of yet. I am still trying to gather my thoughts on an axe, and wondering if a kukri might do the same job. However I do like the idea of a small Camp Axe.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:59 pm 

I've not decided to buy anything yet (though new walking boots might be in order).
I am however of the opinioin that my regular Hello Kitty socks are superior to 1000 Mile Socks as I never had a problem with my Magnums til Saturday! That'll teach me to try and wear decent socks :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:18 pm 

The first of my new purchases arrived today :)

Its a Petzl Tikka Tac head light.

I got it here: http://www.tackleuk.co.uk/petzl-tac-tikka-cammo-headlamp-p-660.html

It's actually the same one doc had on the hike. It comes with batteries included and a red filter which flips up and down. I just went for a short walk in some nearby woodland in near pitchblack and with the Tikka on I could see really well. It throws a beam a good distance and you can tilt the lamp up and down a little so it is either pointing right in front on the ground or a bit further ahead. Being able to work with both hands and see what you are doing in the dark is really nifty!

I tried to take a video with my mobile phone whilst in the woods just now so you could get an idea how well the tikka worked but it pretty much came out rubbish.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:42 pm 

After the hike weekend I bought....

A card mutlitool
A mountain bike (given to me in fairness)

And am waiting on:

A hammock,
A knife sharpener,
A non-lensatic compass,
Maybe an axe

Look what you people have done to me?!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:32 pm 

Brit-ZedHunter wrote:
The first of my new purchases arrived today :)

Its a Petzl Tikka Tac head light.

I got it here: http://www.tackleuk.co.uk/petzl-tac-tikka-cammo-headlamp-p-660.html

It's actually the same one doc had on the hike. It comes with batteries included and a red filter which flips up and down. I just went for a short walk in some nearby woodland in near pitchblack and with the Tikka on I could see really well. It throws a beam a good distance and you can tilt the lamp up and down a little so it is either pointing right in front on the ground or a bit further ahead. Being able to work with both hands and see what you are doing in the dark is really nifty!

I tried to take a video with my mobile phone whilst in the woods just now so you could get an idea how well the tikka worked but it pretty much came out rubbish.

To add to this review. Here is a video (first person) of me drunkenly running through the streets of Guernsey in the pitch black (they turn off all street lights at midnigh). It gives a rough idea of how well the Petzl works:

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/pbickerd/?action=view&current=03042009025mp4.flv

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:39 pm 

Nothing yet... I seem to fail at being a gear whore. I have a big list of new things I want to grab that I think will be of use. But I have stalled on deciding between 20 different versions of everything.

My list to get:

EnZo (just need to pick the one)
Basha (need a new one_
Sleeping bag
Bivi bag
Small axe/hatchet

There is a lot more but this is all I can remember after the worst Italian meal of my life and a visit to several pubs while buxom women waved their cleavage in front of me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:12 am 

Hello Kitty socks FTW :D

I think with the next spare paycheck I"ll be starting the rebuild of my kit, at lesat with stuff I cna't get over there or would be too expensive to order.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:06 pm 

Another of the items I orderd post hike have arrived!

Shortly before the hike I lost my Romisen RC-G2 torch. I loved it so much I bought 2 to replace it.

Heres a pic of the two new ones I just received:

These little torches are awesome. They take 1xAA battery and are very bright and surprisingly well built. They have a really nice clicky on off switch on the end too. The best thing about them is...

$11.30 including free shipping to the UK :) Thats about £7 ish.

Here is the link of where to purchase:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3607

Stuff from these guys normally arrives within about 5 days or so.

Here is a full review from candlepower:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=176577
Scroll down a bit its the first review in the list. There are also a load of reviews on the website where you get them from.

I think you guys will really like these torches, you can have a play with it at the meet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:13 am 

Thanks for that. I need one for work...good price too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:23 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Pics to follow eventually, I got so far

A petzl like Brit
that MOD imitation Blackhawk - its fuckoff large and ridiculous haha no real practical application but its awesome!
Gerber mini covert which is ace, riding pocket knife duty at the moment
A Res-q-me keychain accessory (because I don't have enough stuff on there :P)
A Houdini escape tool - aka a more buffed up res-q-me keychain.

And I'm off today and tmr to buy more stuff in the 'land of the relatively cheap but has a rail system worse than the third world and a 10-year old cell phone system' (America)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:44 am 

Haha well done Alias, interested to see some pics of all your swag at some point, just to try and get a reference on the MOD knife size wise.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:55 am 

I didn't even hike and in the last couple of days I've ordered:

Mora Clipper
SAS Survival Guide
Italian Army Poncho (got a feeling this is gonna come back and bite me :( )

I'll post pics when it all arrives.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:22 pm 

I've swapped out my UltraFire B3 torch (also from DX) for another Fenix E01. While walking back from the stream that I couldn't safetly jump across (damn my short legs :evil: ) I was just using said tiny torch. I realised that the E01 and B3 throw out enough light for anything I'm likely to be doing other than search and rescue.

The day before yesterday I found my B3 can overheat or short (not sure which, but it's a bitch to disassemble anyway) so I figure it's not reliable enough. My C3's aren't 100% reliable so need to be phased out. I think they have a problem with a short somewhere, if it doesn't work, I have to strip it down and then it works fine, but I've not figured out what's shorting on what.

I'll be migrating all my torches from UltraFire, probably to Fenix, although I'm going to try a Romisen or two (given Brit-ZedHunter's positive review and the writeup on CPF). I was considering replacing my Krill with a Glo Toob, but given the E01's light output and runtime, I'm more likely to replace the Krill with more E01's and spare lithium AAA's. I wish Fenix did a proper diffuser for the E01! :cry:

EDIT: The E01's have a serious purple tint. I mean it's not white, it's light purple. It's annoying from an asthetics point of view, but of little consequence for my usage. Just a heads up to anyone thinking of buying one. They can be modded with wire wool to give a more even white beam according to a CPF thread, but I won't be bothering. If I point this at the ceiling (it'll happily stand on it's tail), it illuminates a larger area than my Krill Extreme 360. It's waterproof, small and seriously tough. Also, supposedly you can use the cap of a lip balm stick as a diffuser.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:37 am 

MORE PHOTOS!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:19 pm 

Looky what the Easter Bunny brought me!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:14 am 

Some stuff arrived this morning that was inspired by the hike weekend.

RAT Cutlery RC6 BFOK
Gransfors Forest Axe
Wetterlings (smaller) Hatchet
Martindale Paratrooper Machete
JetBoil stove system (really fucking cool)
Softie 6 sleeping bag (packs down quite small)
DD Hammocks Tarp (for basha'ing up)
2 fire lighters

Close up of the RAT BFOK and the small Hatchet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:25 am 

LilDaemon wrote:
Looky what the Easter Bunny brought me!!

NICE KNIFE!!!!!! :mrgreen:

(That's my knife! :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:07 am 

hahahhaah really? the M16 one? That's hilarious!!!

The Easter Bunny brought me a Leatherman, flashlights, mascara, bubble bath, emergency whistle, and sunblock too. Best Easter EVER!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:16 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I killed the easter bunny, he was trying to give me an egg. Darwin wasn't having it...

Oh I picked up these things so far:
Blackhawk knife, Minicovert gerber, Houdini escape tool, a quick clot sports pack and the same Petzl as BZH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:32 am 

My Easter Bunny is Snowball. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:31 pm 

I received my RAT RC5 yesterday. After seeing Doc's RAT 3 at the hike I felt a 'need' to buy one.

Its a very solid feeling knife and feels good in the hand. It has a glass breaker on the end and has a great sheath (MOLLE compatible of course!). I am really pleased with it and its plenty sharp.

Here is a pic of it with the new torch I bought and some new zombie defense ammo (#0 buckshot) :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:45 pm 

Can we have a new rule around here, NO POSTING PIC’S OF SHINY KNIVES, the last thing I need at the moment is another knife, do you know how hard it is not to reach for the plastic right now?????????

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:50 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

the stuff I bought on the hike. So far, I think I've sold people on Ben Orford's Sheaths, and Gransfor Bruk's Axe's.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin