Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:25 pm 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

We are now holding our net meetings twice a month.

Our next net meeting will be Sunday March 18th 7:00 P.M. EST

KE4YQD will be discussing Emergency Communications & organizations we can be involved with.

I look forward to hearing from everyone then!

ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:04 am 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

I am looking forward to tomorrow nights net!

Talk to you then!

ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:20 am 

Darn... This weekend is the Virginia QSO Party and it doesn't finish up until 8 on Sunday. :(

There's always a certain percentage of any population with the conviction that society is a conspiracy to deny them their rights.
The right to be totally ignorant of any useful knowledge seems to be the basic one.
- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:35 am 

Ok, fairly new HAM here, and not a contester, at least not yet, but i do pay attenton to the contests going on. But I hope you can help me out, I know the term QSO, so i am guessing but I'd like to know what exactly does "QSO Party" mean?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:01 pm 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

sfendt wrote:
Ok, fairly new HAM here, and not a contester, at least not yet, but i do pay attenton to the contests going on. But I hope you can help me out, I know the term QSO, so i am guessing but I'd like to know what exactly does "QSO Party" mean?

Thanks.

I did a little search and it looks like individual States do QSO parties. Here is one from an Indiana Club.
The purpose of the Indiana QSO Party (INQP) is to encourage contact with Indiana amateur radio stations by other Indiana hams and hams worldwide. Stations outside of Indiana work Indiana stations only. Indiana stations work everybody, including other Indiana stations. See the rules for the rest of the details.

Most of the states read this or something similar.

Hope this helped :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:37 pm 

A QSO Party is pretty much what NoAm posted, an on-air contest to encourage contacts with stations in a particular area or group. Most such contests cover multiple bands and multiple modes (VAQP is on all bands from 160m-70cm excepting 12, 30 and 17) and all modes. Contests like this usually also have quite a few categories and combinations, covering fixed, mobile and expeditions, high power, QRP, single or multiple operators and/or transmitters, etc. Last year my buddy AK4FB and I took second place in the mobile multiple operator category, and we were hoping for first place this year but that's looking doubtful right now due to the sheer number of mobiles that seem to be out there this year.

There's always a certain percentage of any population with the conviction that society is a conspiracy to deny them their rights.
The right to be totally ignorant of any useful knowledge seems to be the basic one.
- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:00 pm 

Here is a link to the powerpoint on google docs.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1rmDvqW00W8LQqVYBE7BHX95zrERwFX3uFENGBSvdUec/edit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:39 pm 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Thank you ke4yqd! I am REALLY looking forward to your presentation!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:46 pm 

Me too. But being that it is the weekend, I am going out. I was planning on dinner with a friend at 6:30, but I pushed that back to 6:45. I'll need to be off the net by 6:30ish. Sorry, but I owe my liver for being DD last night, and not drinking :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:45 am 

ke4yqd wrote:

Nice presentation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:56 am 

Well done presentation, Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:09 am 

Weird... I just got a topic reply notification for this thread that took me to the old site from when the server was being worked on.

http://68.232.189.35/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &e=2043020

I'm somewhat surprised that the old one is still up, and even more surprised that evidently the DB is still being mirrored there.

- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:50 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

KJ4VOV wrote:
Weird... I just got a topic reply notification for this thread that took me to the old site from when the server was being worked on.

I'm somewhat surprised that the old one is still up, and even more surprised that evidently the DB is still being mirrored there.

cameron@camlinux:~$ nslookup zombiehunters.org

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: zombiehunters.org
Address: 68.232.189.35

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:17 pm 

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:

cameron@camlinux:~$ nslookup zombiehunters.org

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: zombiehunters.org
Address: 68.232.189.35

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

;)

Right, but the link I posted seems to be using a different cookie, and requires a second login, which then kills the other cookie, so when you get a new notification that uses zombiehunters.org you have to login yet again. All notification links should use the same format to avoid that problem, shouldn't they?

- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:24 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

KJ4VOV wrote:
Right, but the link I posted seems to be using a different cookie, and requires a second login, which then kills the other cookie, so when you get a new notification that uses zombiehunters.org you have to login yet again. All notification links should use the same format to avoid that problem, shouldn't they?

It /should/ but I have a feeling that phpBB's notification system is crap and instead of using the current domain of zombiehunters.org, it uses whatever domain/IP Address was when the thread was made.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:42 pm 

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:

It /should/ but I have a feeling that phpBB's notification system is crap and instead of using the current domain of zombiehunters.org, it uses whatever domain/IP Address was when the thread was made.

I'll agree with the crap part, but I've gotten other notifications for this thread (the one I just got for example) that uses zombiehunters.org, while that was the the only one I've gotten in this thread that used an IP addy. In any case, this is Off Topic so I'll be quiet now and contact you by PM if there's anything else to discuss about it. Apologies to all for the sidetracking.

- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:00 pm 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Excellent net on Sunday night!
ke4yqd gave a wonderful presentation on Emergency Communications. (Thanks Again!)

Present were:
NoAm
ke4yqd
NYKh
sfendt

NYKh will be working on a future presentation about Portable Antenna Building. We will announce it when the date is determined.
Next Net meeting will be on Sunday April 1st. :mrgreen: