UPDATED - Summergeddon 2010: AUG 20th - 23rd

Forum for the Pacific Northwest chapter members.

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 005 Officers

Seanwins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days Later, Resident Evil (all)

UPDATED - Summergeddon 2010: AUG 20th - 23rd

Post by Seanwins » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:33 am

Date: August 20th - 23rd

Attendees (thus far):

Seanwins
Black November
Dietrich
Pasha
Meantree
D.Riley
DrGonzo

ImageImage

Be at the Seattle City Light ferry dock on Diablo Lake in plenty of time to make the 3 pm ferry on the 20th of August. That means have your stuff unloaded and waiting at the dock's edge for the ferry to show. If you miss it, the next ferry isn't until 8:30am the next day. The ferry costs $10 each way, so have that amount on hand in cash when you board the ferry. The ferry will carry us up Diablo lake to the dock at the base of Ross Lake Dam. We will be met by a truck which will carry us to the top of the dam. The truck costs $8 roundtrip. I believe you pay this fee at the resort, which does take cards. The resort does not have an ATM.

At the resort we will pick up our two boats, get loaded up, and start ferrying stuff to the campsite(s). Right now we have reserved, as a group, 1 motorboat and 1 canoe. This will allow us to paddle around and have fun in the canoe, as well as allow us to fish from the motorboat. The boats are costing us $390 for the whole 4 days, and we will be splitting the cost evenly between all of the folks that want to use them. We will be ferrying people and gear (for those who chip in) between the campsite and the resort as needed. With the current attendance list it looks like it will cost $55 per person. That price will decrease as more people sign on.

If you don't want to use the boats at all, you can get out of the boat fee, but that means you are walking in and out and not fishing from them. If you would like to hike in instead of taking a boat, there are trails available around the lake that can get you to the campsite.We will be staying at Big Beaver campsite, as it is relatively close to the resort (5 mi) and has a group site. I think the group site may only hold 12 - 15 people though, so we may end up divided between a few sites in the same campground. We can still get together at one fire though. The campsites all have bear boxes and vault toilets. In the past they have been well stocked with toilet paper, but I wouldn't gamble on it, so bring a roll of your own. Water: Pack it in or filter it there. If you don't have a water filter or purification method, someone else can probably cover you, but ask now so we know.

Feel free to bring a cooler or team up with a buddy and bring a big one. After talking to the resort a few times, it doesn't sound like the packing in will be too strenuous. I'm bringing a cooler for my bacon, eggs, beer, etc. :D

BRING BUG SPRAY. It's not super buggy, but being bitten once by a horse fly sucks.

Costs:

Tugboat fee: $20 ($10 each way)
Truck fee: $8 (one time)
Boat Rental: $55 (probably less)
Backcountry Pass: $5 (per campsite)

Check out the Ross Lake Resort website for more info. http://www.rosslakeresort.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fishing: Most (90%) of the fish taken from the lake are taken from boats trolling wedding rings about 15 ft deep. I tried it from the banks last year and didn't get a nibble with any of my tried and true tricks. I will be bringing my fishing gear with me, because we will be able to troll this year. Bring a copy of the fishing regulations, as they are pretty specific. (Single, barbless hooks, etc. I messed up and got a hefty fine last year.)
Last edited by Seanwins on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 8 times in total.

MEANTREE

Re: Summergeddon 2010: An Epic Trip to Ross Lake

Post by MEANTREE » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:32 pm

So what is nice is that I have a 14 ft boat with a 9.9 HP motor. I can get it up there for $25 one way. That comes out to $50 round trip plus gas and I can accommodate myself and two others with all of our gear needed for the trip. That comes out to about $70 round trip for three of us...but wait it gets better. I also have a large kayak which is a blend of a kayak and a canoe. It has two seats and can store a little bit of gear. It would be $15 one way to get it to the lake. So make it $30 round trip and we add a little of the gear from those two people to the bigger boat and now I have accommodations for 5 people for about $100. No rental fees. A little rope and the front person holding on and I can tow the kayak all the way. The only hitch in all of this is that I have only two life vests. I will be trying to add to that at least one before boating season gets going, but I will still be short. So if someone wants to go badly and really can't afford the full rental deal we might be able to just ferry people back and forth to skip the tug boat, then everyone splits the truck ride up to include the transportation of the two vessels and then I ferry everyone out to the campsites. We still have two boats and save a little moola. Just something to keep in mind. Plus anyone who still wants to have their own boat can just rent one. Anyway, I am in. I was very jealous of the photos from last year and I damn sure want to troll for some fish to cook over the fire!!!
raptorman wrote:You're such a bitch. I should break your bones in alphabetical order.

detwolfsdad
Favorite Zombie Movies: the original Night of the living Dead

Post by detwolfsdad » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:18 am

If We can keep it to the end of August or the first of September I'm in !!!!
"TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" Robert Heinlein
EXORCISM: The act of casting out or exorcising evil spirits. Please remember this the next time you vote!
http://www.thewarriorsong.com/Video.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Istvan56
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead & Night of the Living Dead

Post by Istvan56 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:31 am

My vacation ends on August 25th and I can't change it. I might be able to extend it a couple of days using floating holidays but that's it. :(

Seanwins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days Later, Resident Evil (all)

Post by Seanwins » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:14 pm

Anybody else have schedule restrictions at that time? I can't promise we can make it work for everyone, but I will try to time it to work for MOST people. Let me know when exactly you would be available, otherwise you may be looked over.

For the two folks who posted their restrictions above: Please give me the exact range of dates you would be available. For example August 25th - September 1st. I just want to be clear. :D

detwolfsdad
Favorite Zombie Movies: the original Night of the living Dead

Post by detwolfsdad » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:32 pm

Seanwins wrote:Anybody else have schedule restrictions at that time? I can't promise we can make it work for everyone, but I will try to time it to work for MOST people. Let me know when exactly you would be available, otherwise you may be looked over.

For the two folks who posted their restrictions above: Please give me the exact range of dates you would be available. For example August 25th - September 1st. I just want to be clear. :D
To let you know,I am available from Friday August 20th on.
"TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" Robert Heinlein
EXORCISM: The act of casting out or exorcising evil spirits. Please remember this the next time you vote!
http://www.thewarriorsong.com/Video.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Istvan56
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead & Night of the Living Dead

Post by Istvan56 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:34 pm

I'm available from August 1st through August 25th for sure, possibly till August 28th if I have enough floating holidays to add to my vacation.

Kojo2047
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Shaun of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead I, II, and III
Fido
Resident Evil
Day of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Can't wait for 28 Months Later
I Am Legend (For survivalism)
Diary of the Dead
Zombie Diaries
Zombieland

Post by Kojo2047 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:21 pm

I get back from my deployment in about may/june, and i'll be taking leave late june to early july. I'm already missing out on wintergeddon though, and i'll be DAMNED if i'm gonna miss out on this one too. $300 for a plane ticket to go camping with a bunch of zombie-crazed weirdos? Hell yes you bet your ass i will. I might even just go straight into Seattle so i can carpool with y'all.

As far as dates, since i'm already taking leave towards the end of june/beginning of july, it would probably be easier if it's towards the end of august, maybe over a holiday weekend or something (are there even any holidays in august? august sucks...).
"And that is the mini cherry on top of the regular cherry on top of the sundae of AWESOMENESS that is my life" -Barney Stinson

d.riley

Post by d.riley » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:27 pm

I was going over my calendar for this summer, trying to get a few things worked out in advance. I figured many of you could use this info as well.. relevant holidays and local events to plan around, listed by the Saturday of that weekend:
  • 05/29 - Memorial Day weekend
    06/05
    06/12
    06/19 - Father's Day weekend
    06/26
    07/03 - Independence Day weekend
    07/10 - Arlington Fly-in
    07/17
    07/24
    07/31
    08/07 - Seafair weekend
    08/14
    08/21
    08/28 - burning man (through Labor Day)
    09/04 - Labor Day weekend
For decent camping weather, I wouldn't recommend going past Labor day. Although, we did our 'summer' camping trip last year the last weekend in August, and yes it was a bit rainy, but not too sucky. Which brings up another point, should we plan any other summer camping trips yet? (More of the *free* variety for those less fortunate)

Also, here's this:

d.riley

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

MEANTREE

Post by MEANTREE » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:44 pm

It can always take place at my place for free. As long as I have a little heads up to the neighbors and the master (wife). But I would really like to do some more camping. Thinking about maybe going over to Lake Chelan and dragging the boat for a camping trip and a little fun on the boat.
raptorman wrote:You're such a bitch. I should break your bones in alphabetical order.

Hammer31
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Hammer31 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:54 pm

That looks like a dang good time. Just post the schedule and I will get it done.
One of the eighty.

Of every one-hundred men,
Ten shouldn't even be there.
Eighty are nothing but targets.
Nine are real fighters....
We are lucky to have them,
They make the battle. Ah, but one,
One of them is a Warrior....
He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

Seanwins

Re: Summergeddon 2010: AUG 20th - 23rd

Post by Seanwins » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:21 am

Updated

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:58 pm

Does anyone have any links or references on how to get a USGS topographic map of this specific area?
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

d.riley

Post by d.riley » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:04 pm

Google maps with terrain option does fairly well for free..

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 4&t=p&z=10

Also shows topographical contour lines when you zoom in more.
d.riley

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Kojo2047
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Shaun of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead I, II, and III
Fido
Resident Evil
Day of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Can't wait for 28 Months Later
I Am Legend (For survivalism)
Diary of the Dead
Zombie Diaries
Zombieland

Post by Kojo2047 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:26 pm

I still intend on coming this summer, i'm already setting aside some of my deployment money for the plane ticket. However, i need to know in advance who else is planning on going/carpooling so i can get a ride up that way. If i fly into seatac or spokane, would someone be willing to pick me up? I can pay for snacks on the road trip, and will help out with gas. will someone adopt me?
"And that is the mini cherry on top of the regular cherry on top of the sundae of AWESOMENESS that is my life" -Barney Stinson

Dietrich

Post by Dietrich » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:23 pm

I'd be happy to get you there from the airport. How about some backups in case I have a trial go long or something?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

jak
Favorite Zombie Movies: The game Last Night On Earth, and the movie Dance of the Dead. Still looking for a good Zombie movie that meets my requirements.

Post by jak » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:10 am

Assuming I'm back from DET I'd like to come. I'll keep ya posted.

--Jak
"The rain it raineth on the just, And also on the unjust fella; But chiefly on the just, because The unjust steals the just's umbrella."
- Lord Bowen

MEANTREE

Post by MEANTREE » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:11 pm

We have had some news that may divert our plans. This is from the North Cascades National Park website HERE. It says this:

Notice to Boaters

The lower end of the Ross Haul Road is CLOSED and impassable to boaters attempting to portage to Ross Lake. On the weekend of March 13, a major rock slide obliterated the end of the road, and did serious damage to two boat docks, as well as damaging the canoe take-out area. The slide area is not stable--do not attempt to enter the closed area. The suspension bridge over Diablo Arm is also closed. The Ross Dam Trail (milepost 134 off State Route 20) is unaffected and could be used as a portage route to Ross Lake if need be, although keep in mind that this is a rocky, switchbacking trail that descends one mile and 900 feet to reach the lake.

So I imagine the resort up there will be hot to get the road fixed before the start of the season for them as this is obviously their main source of revenue. Also being as it is a private road they will have to fix it themselves. I hope it will be fixed and back operating by the time we want to invade but we will have to hide and watch. I just think that we should have an exit strategy should this fall through. Maybe even just kick it at Diablo Lake.

Dietrich

Post by Dietrich » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:37 pm

So is this trip still a confirmed "go?" I need to request the time off and if it is closed and we are bailing out because of slide issues, I'll work...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Seanwins

Post by Seanwins » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:42 pm

I heard back from Ross Lake Resort today, and it sounds like the rock slide isn't going anywhere any time soon. We would need to carry the boats up past the rock slide. That may put a serious kink in our plans, at least as far as the motor boat goes.

Seanwins

Post by Seanwins » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:08 pm

F it. I say we plan on going to Ross Lake. It will be an adventure.

Dietrich

Post by Dietrich » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:34 pm

I'm still a little unclear about what effect the rock slide has on the route. If we have to rent the canoes from the resort, we wouldn't be carrying them anywhere to begin with, right?

I thought it was park somewhere, get on ferry, go to landing, get on truck, which takes us to resort, rent canoes, camp, ???, profit. Where does the rock slide cross that path, and how hard would a work-around be?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:06 pm

King5.com wrote:...An unoccupied pickup truck that belongs to Ross Lake Resort was destroyed by the slide...
Link

In the picture you can see the road and on the left side are the docks where the truck did pickups/dropoffs.
Last edited by DropZedFred on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZSC:019 Member
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

Seanwins

Post by Seanwins » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:07 pm

I talked to them again last week. It sounds like the rock slide took out the area where you unload from the ferry to get to the truck. The only thing that the landslide has affected is that the ferry docks about 50 yards further up river than it did before, so you have to carry your gear up some stairs to the truck. This means you might want to pack as lightly as possible. This also means that the truck can not pick up private boats.

The truck still takes you to the next boat, which takes you to the resort. You rent the boats from the resort. That part will be completely unchanged.

I would like to hear from at least three other folks who would be willing to chip in on a motorboat for the weekend. It will enable us to fish, which I would like to do a lot of.

Return to “ZSC:005”