Pandemic Preparations Influenza & coronavirus -Updated for Ebola.

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

atod

Re: Pandemic Preparations

Post by atod » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:41 am

Gingerbread Man wrote:Cool, yeah I really don't need a NBC suit because well, anyone starts tossing that stuff around the future will be very bleak. Entire armies are taken out of the fight just to deal with the clean up and de-con, I doubt I could tackle that. And really, I'm not that concerned about nuclear and chemical threats.

However, serious illness that are easily passed do give me the heebie jeebies. I have the gloves, googles and masks. I have hoods too.

Anyway, I have always believed in discretion and not going full on milspec stuff.

Thanks, I'll look into the rain suits. I had not consider that but a rubber impermeable layer should be more than sufficent. If need be I could probably seal it up a little more with some duct tape.

What do you think?
I considered NBC suits and preparing for a biological disaster, however after research and discussion on forums it appears there is low likelihood these suits will do any good by themselves. Proper procedure requires decontaminating the NBC suit before removing it. If it was a biological attack there may be germs/virus all over the suit. It's my understanding this decontamination requires a special truck with more equipment. I was also told that the military may have only planned for the soldier to complete their objective alive.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:42 am

atod wrote:
Gingerbread Man wrote:Cool, yeah I really don't need a NBC suit because well, anyone starts tossing that stuff around the future will be very bleak. Entire armies are taken out of the fight just to deal with the clean up and de-con, I doubt I could tackle that. And really, I'm not that concerned about nuclear and chemical threats.

However, serious illness that are easily passed do give me the heebie jeebies. I have the gloves, googles and masks. I have hoods too.

Anyway, I have always believed in discretion and not going full on milspec stuff.

Thanks, I'll look into the rain suits. I had not consider that but a rubber impermeable layer should be more than sufficent. If need be I could probably seal it up a little more with some duct tape.

What do you think?
I considered NBC suits and preparing for a biological disaster, however after research and discussion on forums it appears there is low likelihood these suits will do any good by themselves. Proper procedure requires decontaminating the NBC suit before removing it. If it was a biological attack there may be germs/virus all over the suit. It's my understanding this decontamination requires a special truck with more equipment. I was also told that the military may have only planned for the soldier to complete their objective alive.
Read more of this thread. There's ways to decon without a truck
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:38 am

NamelessStain wrote:
atod wrote:

What do you think?
+1 Even in crappy conditions, there are plenty of decontamination for the majority of health care workers that did not involve a US military NBC trucks. Most was done with a simple pressure sprayer and Bleach.

OSHA guideline for Ebola
http://www.ecosourcellc.net/osha-issues ... amination/

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:03 am

Mikeyboy wrote:
NamelessStain wrote:
atod wrote:

What do you think?
+1 Even in crappy conditions, there are plenty of decontamination for the majority of health care workers that did not involve a US military NBC trucks. Most was done with a simple pressure sprayer and Bleach.
QFT. And they're using the sprayed bleach in part because they're reusing the coveralls and apron - in a US hospital setting (or in a one-time exposure where you could afford to burn your raingear), we step in the bleach buckets on our way out but there's no spraying of bleach water. The apron is very disoposable, not like that one, and the tyvek goes in the biohazard trash. The rest of it's pretty much the same tho. It's not technilogically complicated, it just requires a LOT of practice because you have to get it right every single time including the first.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Pandemic Preparations - Updated for Ebola.

Post by duodecima » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:25 am

Neat little graphic about why some diseases are considered droplet-spread and others (like Ebola) aren't, even tho you still shouldn't let the sick people sneeze right on you. Distance protects you well from Ebola. Measles, (and flu!) not so much, unfortunately.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2 ... us-spreads

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:49 am

Just ran across this CDC website with resources/directions for how to investigate an "Unknown Respiratory Disease Outbreak." - because at first you don't know what you've got, sometimes, you just know there's something going around. (Good early public health and epidemiology can really save lives...)

http://www.cdc.gov/urdo/

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu May 28, 2015 3:24 pm

An interesting article on Bill Gates opinion of pandemic probabilities.

"I rate the chance of a nuclear war within my lifetime as being fairly low," says Gates. "I rate the chance of a widespread epidemic, far worse than Ebola, in my lifetime, as well over 50%."

http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-gat ... z3bT0f1zXy

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Fri May 29, 2015 2:06 am

raptor wrote:An interesting article on Bill Gates opinion of pandemic probabilities.

"I rate the chance of a nuclear war within my lifetime as being fairly low," says Gates. "I rate the chance of a widespread epidemic, far worse than Ebola, in my lifetime, as well over 50%."

http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-gat ... z3bT0f1zXy
Good. At least there is one popular figure speaking out on the risk of pandemic. The Gates Foundation has been very active in fighting AIDS, so I'm sure he'll have an informed opinion should the press pursue him on this.

50% chance in his lifetime. That's a scary prediction.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:01 pm

With Flu season starting I thought I would give this thread a free bump.

A link to the CDC influenza map.
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:31 pm

Hey, thanks!

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:36 pm

subscribing so that I can find my way back....
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:20 am

With flu season upon us this is both an update and a free bump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to- ... 722e55e244

http://blogs.worldbank.org/health/pande ... ver-happen

For what little bit it is worth IMO influenza is a constant human companion and in crowded cities is a perfect vector for a health disaster. This IMO is a risk worth considering in your preparations.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Pandemic Preparations - Updated for Ebola/Coronavirus

Post by raptor » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:30 pm

Free bump due to flu season and Chinese cornavirus. Preparations for this coronavirus are similar to preps are an influenza outbreak.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/18/deadly-ch ... dy-claims/

cbare
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days
shaun of the dead

Re: Pandemic Preparations Influenza & coronavirus -Updated for Ebola.

Post by cbare » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:28 pm

First cases in the US. https://cnn.it/2NHDcov
Demented and sad, but social...

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:46 pm

duodecima wrote:
Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:25 am
Neat little graphic about why some diseases are considered droplet-spread and others (like Ebola) aren't, even tho you still shouldn't let the sick people sneeze right on you. Distance protects you well from Ebola. Measles, (and flu!) not so much, unfortunately.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2 ... us-spreads
This is worth a repeat.

Distance is your friend but for flu, coronavirus and measles that distance needs to be six + feet from someone sneezing.
That and remember the surfaces that are sneezed upon are prime vector points. So wash your hands!

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/about/index.html

M813

Post by M813 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:25 am

I worked in the "nuclear energy" field for 11 years.

Part of successful decontamination is the proper sequence of de-clothing after the decon shower.

An effective PPE involves multiple layers. After successful completion of your task and after completing the decon shower, proper de-clothing involves ensuring that boots, gloves and suits are removed without human skin touching the outer surfaces of any potentially contaminated PPE and clothing. There is an order of operations to it.

In the absence of a pressurized decontamination shower, there are also a sort of charcoal pad used to pat down contaminated workers prior to de-clothing. The exact nomenclature escapes me at the moment.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:30 am

M813 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:25 am

Part of successful decontamination is the proper sequence of de-clothing after the decon shower.

An effective PPE involves multiple layers. After successful completion of your task and after completing the decon shower, proper de-clothing involves ensuring that boots, gloves and suits are removed without human skin touching the outer surfaces of any potentially contaminated PPE and clothing. There is an order of operations to it.
QFT
You are indeed correct. Removing contaminated clothing is best practiced ahead of time.

The good news about bacterial/viral contamination (unlike nerve or radiological agents) is that they tend to be water soluble and benign once they have been rinsed off. A 5% to 10% bleach solution in water is generally (but not always) effective against them.

Even simple dish soap and water tends to be effective in the decon process. It is at least a good place to start.
^^^^Note YMMV!^^^^

A simple expedient measure is frequently seen set up at hazmat accident sites. It is a simple disposable kiddie pool. In this case it would contain water and 5 to 10 % (household bleach is fine) chlorine solution. The contaminated person would stand it to get soaped up and then rinsed off. Then step into another empty kiddie pool to remove the outer PPE. The outerwear would stay in that kiddie pool either to be laundered or destroyed.

The key is to assume any contaminated clothing is contaminated. There is no such thing as a little contamination in a situation like this. It is ether clean or contaminated. If the clothing is laundered put the clothing in a plastic trash bag until it is ready to launder. Then wash contaminated clothing separate from other clothing. A hot water machine wash with a 2% to 3% bleach solution coupled with a hot dryer will generally enough to deal with influenza and coronavirus contaminated clothing. If there is any doubt throw it away.

https://admin.publichealth.lacounty.gov ... tSheet.pdf

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:18 am

Maybe file this one under Coronavirus post-exposure prophalaxis?

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ma ... 41b2d8.pdf

The 1% Betadine mouthwash was a new one for me, don't believe I've ever heard of that product or that use before. I can find no reason, after 30 minutes of research, why 4.5mL of topical 10% povidone iodine in 45mL shot glass of water wouldn't be a safe and less expensive DIY "solution" (pardon the pun) for those where iodine exposure was otherwise safe?

And, as the "It's spread through the eyes!" headline on Drudge yesterday, DIY 1% povidone iodine eye drops on page 25:
https://www.medbox.org/local-small-scal ... wnload.pdf

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:37 am

CrossCut wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:18 am
The 1% Betadine mouthwash was a new one for me, don't believe I've ever heard of that product or that use before. I can find no reason, after 30 minutes of research, why 4.5mL of topical 10% povidone iodine in 45mL shot glass of water wouldn't be a safe and less expensive DIY "solution" (pardon the pun) for those where iodine exposure was otherwise safe?
Betadine mouth wash is generally prescribed in the US post tooth extractions. It supposed to prevent dry socket and other secondary infections. I think you are correct that as long as iodine exposure is safe, that solution should be quite safe.

I have to say thank you for this information, because I never would have found this on my own and I've found that my knowledge of medicine has been quite helpful, even though my day job has no correlation.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:21 pm

CrossCut wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:18 am
Maybe file this one under Coronavirus post-exposure prophalaxis?

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ma ... 41b2d8.pdf

And, as the "It's spread through the eyes!" headline on Drudge yesterday, DIY 1% povidone iodine eye drops on page 25:
https://www.medbox.org/local-small-scal ... wnload.pdf
Good information here.

Note that the person quoted was an MD with a lot of close exposure to infected patients. I suspect the risk lies in people coughing in your face. If you are a caregiver for someone with influenza/coronavirus I would suggest that you have the patient wear the mask to reduce exposure.

If nothing else flush your eyes with clean water or eye drops. It will not hurt and may wash away the contamination (it may not YMMV). Still it is better than nothing.
Remember it is most likely to small particle of spittal or mucus ejected by a cough. It will be water soluble.

Another alternative to consider are any eye drops that you have to treat conjunctivitis (Pink Eye).

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:48 pm

Not sure if it helps anyone...

But I work in a city hospital.

Hand hygiene constantly is a big key to success. I wash my hands before I touch my face/mouth, after I use a computer, before and after I enter/leave a room, or if I basically touch anything at work. Also do similar things at home.

Also, when I get home, I strip down and throw my clothes in the laundry. I don't sit on the couch, chair, eat, or anything. I use Lysol Laundry Sanitizer for all my clothes as a bleach substitute. Then immediately shower. I do this every single shift.

I also have a seat cover for my Jeep and sanitize it with an aerosol alcohol mixture using 91% isopropyl alcohol. Maybe every other week when it isn't -20 degrees out (I live in Alaska).
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:25 pm

How researchers suit up to enter a BSL 3 lab. There is some pretty good info that can be adapted for emergency pandemic preps

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Dka1VC2PE&t=4s[/YouTube]
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:37 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:48 pm
Not sure if it helps anyone...

But I work in a city hospital.

Hand hygiene constantly is a big key to success. I wash my hands before I touch my face/mouth, after I use a computer, before and after I enter/leave a room, or if I basically touch anything at work. Also do similar things at home.

Also, when I get home, I strip down and throw my clothes in the laundry. I don't sit on the couch, chair, eat, or anything. I use Lysol Laundry Sanitizer for all my clothes as a bleach substitute. Then immediately shower. I do this every single shift.

I also have a seat cover for my Jeep and sanitize it with an aerosol alcohol mixture using 91% isopropyl alcohol. Maybe every other week when it isn't -20 degrees out (I live in Alaska).
Cool! Is it a public hospital?

Also, here is this:

Dr. Joseph P Alton is a pelvic surgeon by trade. Nurse Amy is APRN.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Back in the late 90s I completed the 40 hour Hazmat emergency response course. Long sleeves, gloves, hat or hood, mask and eye protection should be enough to keep you safe while going to browse the empty shelves at the supermarket.

If there is someone at home to help decontamination is as simple as this: have them lay out a contractor garbage bag just inside your front door. That way you open the door and step into the contractor bag. Remove your shirt remove your pants all of them falling directly into the bag untie your shoes slip out of your socks make sure they stay in the bag. Remove your hat and put it in the bag, now put your mask in the bag, remove your gloves and drop them in the bag. Walk your naked butt to the nearest shower and take a shower starting in cool water, to reduce pore dilation, then get warmer. Use a medical grade disinfecting soap concentrate on all the edges back of the neck the hairline under the fingernails. Having a small dedicated scrub brush would not be a bad idea just don't peel your own skin off. Meanwhile your wife closes up the bag and either drops it in the trash or in the laundry with the Lysol treatment Jeepers Creepers described.

If there is a chemical agent or fall out, you can wear a tyvek painting suit with hood as your outer protective wear. You can decontaminate in your front yard with a fertilizer or car wash sprayer filled with Dawn dish washing liquid.

Then walk inside and repeat he disrobing into the contractor bag.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”