Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:15 am 

For those much more experienced than I.

I have a pretty humid basement. Is it okay to store canned goods or airtight containers in my basement or do I have to get a dehumidifier? Its not so humid as to smell musty. But its a limestone foundation and will leak during heavy rains. Better to keep upstairs? Any input would be appreciated. Only thing I have stored downstairs right now is bottled water. I was looking to store Mason jars of food there. Thanks ZS.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:29 am 

Slightly complicated question. If you own the house your best bet is to fix the basement, put in a sump pump seal the walls and floor and a small full time dehumidifier draining into the sump would answer all your problems. Or - you could rotate the caned goods you store down there ever 6 months. Airtight containers ? unless you can vacuum seal them so there is no air in them the humidity will be just as bad inside as out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:43 pm 

I don't see a problem worth several thousand $ in home remodeling.

Try it. Watch for rust. If cans are rusting try a light wipe with an
oily rag before storing. All old house basements are damp.

Home canned food in mason jars is vacuum sealed.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:51 pm 
BANNED

a powered dehumidifier is great ........ rig a hose to a drain and nothing to worry about except the electric bill ........

for an old fashion solution without electric ....... hang a mesh bag of rock salt over a plastic bucket ....... the rock salt gathers the moisture and it weeps off into the bucket .......

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:12 pm 

Good points. My basement is subdivided by walls already so I think I might insulate one of the rooms and just put the dehumidifier in that room near the floor drain. That should be enough I think. Just setting up the room and adding the shelving should keep me busy till I am ready to add more food. Right now I keep everything upstairs. Started with a 3 day supply. Hope to have a 30 day supply of everything soon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:30 pm 

Humidity can damage more than your pantry. Mildew can damage just about everything (I have too much experience with this) :cry: , and some molds may even be a moderate health hazard.

Tackling dampness and mildew in the basement should be a high priority. Bonanacrom is right, but if that's too big a project, at least buy a couple dehumidifiers.

Do some research, use them properly, and you might be amazed at how pleasant a space your basement can become.

Bottom line: Rather than approaching this as "protecting your food from moisture", approach it as a full-on attack at preventing the moisture to begin with.

Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:41 am 

Updated this old thread. Now up to 3 months of stored food. Basement is much better with a pair of dehumidifiers and by prioritizing things that can be in the basement and somethings that MUST be upstairs in a dryer environment. Downstairs is great for canned goods and storage in containers that are sealed. Guns stay upstairs in safe etc. I still work on things every week when finances allow. I must be making progress because I have to inform people that they will NOT be coming to MY house in the PAW. I tell them to do their own preps. But at least I have them thinking its something they should do.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:23 am 

Did you get the rain leaks looked at? If not I'd go ahead with that before I went much further.

-KD0TCZ/AG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 pm 

Yes. It was a case of clogged gutters, so I have gutter guards on everything now. Hasn't been a big problem with zero rain ; so maybe next year might be a better test.