GET TRAINING/AAR: TDI's TACTICAL RIFLE II

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

steppenwolf

GET TRAINING/AAR: TDI's TACTICAL RIFLE II

Post by steppenwolf » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:14 am

If your defensive weapon plays a role in the details of your particular "preparedness" scenario, then you need realisitic training to be able to use it effectively as well as responsibly.

It's simple: "preparation" entails training with the specific tools relevant to that for which you are "preparing." :wink: Such tools can be anything from communications gear to water-purification devices to firearms.

The basic marksmanship skill acquired in shooting at a stationary target isn't the same as the movements, manipulations, techniques and tactics for fighting defensively with a pistol or rifle. For that you need training - specifically, quality tactical training from knowledgable and experienced instructors.

For those living in the states around Ohio, Tactical Defense Institute (TDI) provides a nearby opportunity to pursue such training. Located about an hour east of Cincinnati, TDI offers a variety of courses to acquire and/or maintain a tactical skill-set with your pistol or a rifle. Though known widely for their pistol courses and Ohio-CCW class, TDI offers several excellent rifle courses too. I've taken a number of courses there and can highly recommend this school. The training facilities are excellent as well.

Here's the link to TDI's site and 2009 schedule: http://www.tdiohio.com/scheduleb.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For those interested in a basic tactical carbine course, back in 2005 I reviewed TDI's Tac Rifle I. It's a good class for someone new to training with an AR or other "fighting" rifle. Here's a link to that review (pics are at the end):

http://www.bren-ten.com/agtman/id8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most recently I took TDI's advanced carbine course, Tactical Rifle II.

Here's a link to my review of that training (there are also a number of pics in this review):

http://www.bren-ten.com/agtman/id13.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some outtakes ....

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by steppenwolf on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't usually listen to Nickelback, but when I do I prefer this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxgeSv88 ... re=channel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MOLON LABE
It's a Spartan thing ... You wouldn't understand.

steppenwolf

Re: GET TRAINING/AAR: TDI's TACTICAL RIFLE II

Post by steppenwolf » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:46 pm

Some more outtake pics from TR-II. Enjoy ... :)

CQB drills.

Gear varied quite a bit among the students.

Working Live Fire House #2.

Instructors review range safety protocol before drills.

Precision work from 300 yds.

Move & Shoot (M&S) drills ...

... transitioning to your pistol when needed.

More M&S drills - keep that cardio up.

Great training.

First Person Shooter -----> http://www.bren-ten.com/agtman/id13.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)
Last edited by steppenwolf on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:55 pm

Good AAR. I'm signed up for some rifle training in 2009 and this whets my appetite for it.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

nyiangelo

Post by nyiangelo » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:15 pm

yeah that seems pretty cool. I would like to do some stuff like that if I could find the motivation. Ok really I would like to just find time to go shoot the AR I bought in July and the pistol I bought in September for the first time. But I will say that the person Im scared of the most is the guy in the first picture with some kind of tactical cane in his hip pocket. :D
A metal detector is like a new girl friend. Spend a lot of time with it, treat it right and it will give it up.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

OhioMe

Post by OhioMe » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:30 pm

Just a plug here for the CQB/tactical carbine class taught by our own DavePAL84, doc66, and rifleninja. Next time they schedule one, consider taking it. Very worth it.

Keep your hard earned $$$ in the ZS family.

TDI is very, very good from what I've heard across many forums as well.
German Serial Killer Who Hacks Heads Off Rabbits Uses Google Earth to Find Victims
DavePAL84 wrote:If you guys bring an old t-shirt or two each it would also be beneficial (maybe something you don't mind being perforated with bullets and then thrown out?)
BeerandGuns wrote:.25 ACP. It took down Zombie Reaper and he's a bad a** motherf****r

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:06 pm

Phil: be careful ... once your start doing these tactical classes, it gets addicting. :D I've run into a number of guys now, from different backgrounds and occupations, who call themselves "training junkies." :shock:

nyiangelo: That pic partially cut off the instructor with the cane; he's holding it for the AK-guy. His knee was gimpy from some injury before the class, but he still wanted to take the course anyway. Made a pretty good effort from what I saw.
I don't usually listen to Nickelback, but when I do I prefer this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxgeSv88 ... re=channel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MOLON LABE

Glockgirl26

Post by Glockgirl26 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:26 pm

Glad to see and hear that you made it back to TDI again! (I'm the girl in your 2005 review :wink: )

I did Handgun 4 and 5 and Field Emergency Med this fall, Tac Shotgun over the summer, and helped John out with FIST and a Handgun 1-3 also.

Did you see the story Cincinnati news did on TDI and active shooters? Fantastic story and article.
Blessed be the Lord my God, who teacheth my hands to fight, and my fingers to war. Psalms 144:1

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:48 am

Good to hear from you Glockgirl26. Wow, that's a lot of classes under your belt! ... :shock:

Precision Rifle back in April was another excellent class, well attended also, and that might get a write-up down the road ... definitely a different class. There were a number of suppressed bolt guns, and two students came from Japan to take the course. :!: Speaks well of the school.

No, I missed the Cincy article. I'm glad it was a "good" news story though, and didn't try to cast firarms training in a bad light.

By the way, I see TDI's 2009 schedule added a TR-III class, and specifically mentions team drills with a partner. I'd like to make that one. The team work aspect (e.g., paired drills involving moving/covering & shooting) is the one element I thought should be emphasized in the advanced course.

http://www.tdiohio.com/scheduleb.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)

MOLON LABE

Glockgirl26

Post by Glockgirl26 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:41 am

Oooh, that sounds interesting! :D Have you ever taken TDI Partner Tactics? That is a fun one too. And the SO and I did a two gun team tactics class with Morrigan Consulting in 2006 that did partner stuff with rifles and handguns...vehicle tactics, partner rescue drills, building search, etc. Good times... :wink:

http://www.wcpo.com/mostpopular/story/W ... KbePA.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a link to that news story. They actually did the filming for this during the 4 and 5 Handgun I took this fall.
Blessed be the Lord my God, who teacheth my hands to fight, and my fingers to war. Psalms 144:1

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:06 pm

Gg26:

Thanks for the story link. Well-written article, as was the "update" or follow-up portion where, through example after example, the author easily refuted the anti-gun claim that active shooters/mass murderers don't seek out victims in "gun-free zones" (like malls, high schools/college campuses, etc.). :roll: Great read.

It was also excellent coverage for JB and TDI. The school really doesn't get as much coverage from writers in those glossy "tactical" gun magazines as it should.

Actually, I had Partner Tactics on the To-Take list but was interested in doing something like it somewhere with the carbine (or carbine and pistol), rather than just handgun alone. But it looks like TR-III will incorporate two gun/team tactics drills, and TR-II is a prerequisite.

:cool:

MOLON LABE

Shambhala

Post by Shambhala » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Man, do you have to weigh 300lbs to take that class?

Working out and losing weight would probably be a better use of most of those guys' time.
From 2 miles south of NORAD. Just a 'nuculear' flash from ground zero.

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:22 pm

Hey, guess what, Shambhala?

When I first started doing tactical training years back, I weighed close to 240lbs (@ 6'3"). I knew my stamina was terrible and it compromised my performance during "basic" tac drills that should otherwise have been no problem. Typical out-of-shape middle-age guy. Flash forward: after years of strict dieting (a combo of paleo, low glycemic & caloric restriction) as well as a hard exercise regime, I'm 179lbs. Do the math.

Now I get: "you're way too thin, man." :roll:

Well, some guys my age golf for exercise or walk their dog. I hate golf and don't have a dog. Instead, I've become a sort of training "junkie." Probably it costs less over time anyway than yearly country club fees and for sure the company's more interesting ... :lol:

So, yeah, guys waste their time and money coming to a training class in poor physical condition.

Doing the kind of tactical carbine drills described in the TR-II review (especially cardio-intense drills like "The Wall") is a whole lot easier for me now, though I can still f-up a drill if I'm not concentrating on what it's about. But being in even mediocre shape is better than nothing. You can focus on what's being taught in the drills, hone your technique or just not f-up anything or, worse, become a safety issue because your finger's squeezin' the bang-switch as you're about to pass out or heave because you couldn't control yourself over lunch and scarfed down two Wendy's triples & fries on a 95-degree day. And guess what? I've seen guys do that. :roll:

Costs aside, that's probably one reason why some guys quit the training after taking only one basic class: tactical carbine training is physically intense, like working-out or suiting up for football practice (not the contact, but rather the gear you put on and the stuff you carry around all day).

If you do a search, you'll find a lot of posts on the boards where the tactical-types hang out about the importance of coming to class in shape and being able to "shoot & scoot" for 8 or 9 hours. Not everyone is, even with breaks.

For me it's become a pet peeve. Guys may try hard, but the physical capacity and stamina to train - or lack thereof - impacts your ability to get the most out of your training dollar. Some guys waste it ...

8) First Person Shooter -----> http://www.bren-ten.com/agtman/id13.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by steppenwolf on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:56 pm

Shambhala wrote:Man, do you have to weigh 300lbs to take that class?

Working out and losing weight would probably be a better use of most of those guys' time.
It looks like an arfcom get-together.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:25 pm

"It looks like an arfcom get-together."

:roll: And why is that?

TDI offers high-quality training and these guys are working to improve their skill-sets.

MOLON LABE

O.P. Eagle

Post by O.P. Eagle » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:42 pm

I will say this to start. We can teach the class, we cannot and will not discriminate because someone has a few extra pounds. At lease those people are willing to take the time and money to expand their own training.

We all like to have fun on the forums, but ask yourself if you should criticize those willing to better themselves?

And before anyone starts, I'm 5ft 10in 190lbs.

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:35 pm

Well said, O.P.

As I noted, these guys are training hard to improve their skill-sets. And by the way, if people looked a little more closely at the photos, the stereo-typical "300lb guy" isn't in any of them. Some students are bulkier or stockier than others, but that's physical diversity.

My only point to Shambhala was what worked for me: you go much farther with your training dollar if you come to a carbine class in reasonably decent shape. You'll get more out of the drills, especially in the really hot weather. But you need to stay hydrated and moniter your food in-take at lunch.

Common sense, really. :roll:

8)

MOLON LABE

fatmoocow
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead

Post by fatmoocow » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:34 pm

Sound like working out should be part of the training class. We're really all here to get a little closer to being jason borne not just aim at bad guys a little better. If someone put together an insane, learn swimming, shooting, repelling, foreign language, knife fighting, general badassery class, I'd be more than up for it.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:13 pm

I took one training class where we did a 2 mile "jungle walk" in full kit to get to the shooting pit where we were going to be doing the shooting portion of the class .

It was interesting to see the toll it took on some of the older/less in shape guys . It was done more as a gear shake down , most realized they were carrying too much crap , and there was the guy who had a Sig 228 fall out of his cheap-ass thigh rig -but I digress.

I was younger and more fit than pretty much everyone else , and I have to say it did give me an advantage . There were guys there whose real world experience far , far surpassed my own , but I found myself typically out-performing them when it came to working at speed while moving.

This came as a surprise to me as this particular class was one of my first and I expected to be out-shone all day .

That being said , I applaud anyone who goes out there and gets some training . It is always time well spent.

And yes , it is addictive . I would be doing it all the time if my budget could handle it . I am going to take a Defensive Edge course next summer , and that will the first since an LFI class 3 years ago.
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Panzershreke
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Both the original & remake)
28 Days/Weeks Later
Shaun of the Dead
I am Legend

Post by Panzershreke » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:27 pm

Man I gotta get into one of these courses. I really need to get out of the People's Republic of California...oh wait I am! The practical training at one of these places has got to be a great learning experience and workout. Thanks for the heads up.
Shadowsbane wrote: I thought I felt a disturbance in the force. Like a million mall ninja piggy banks crying out in anguish, and then....silence.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”