My Bladder and Water

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jeffrey

My Bladder and Water

Post by jeffrey » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:13 pm

No, not that bladder, these bladders!

MSR Hydromedary 2.5L and Dromedary 4L

The Hydromedary has a straw/tube/hose/whatever attached and two grommets for hanging in most packs. It is covered in red, 200D nylon and the inside is coated in food grade polyurethane. It has a bite valve at the end of the straw that also includes an on/off valve. I would have gone with the 3L but they didn't have one at the store. I've seen some iffy reviews of MSR bladders, especially the Cloudliner series but I figured, what the hey, I'll give it 'em a shot. I filled it and put it in my pack and it seems to work flawlessly. Someone will chime in and say why not just get a Camelbak Omega. Well, nylon is tacticool, I like the screw on lid, and this will connect to the MSR filter with no adapters or tooling around.

The Dromedary series are a bit larger and their intended use is to fill at camp to provide a reservoir of sorts. If bugging out I would probably fill it first but I don't really plan to carry both filled for normal backpacking or camping. It will probably get stuffed in the pack empty. It has a similar screw on cap that includes a flip up spout for pouring.

As I mentioned, both of these bladders will directly attach to the MSR water filters such as the MiniWorks EX and the Hyperflow. I am probably going to get the Hyperflow. I have heard indirectly from MSR customer reps that the Hyperflow filter element will last nearly indefinitely so long as you back flush the filter often. The MiniWorks requires scrubbing, is twice as big, and filters at 1/3 the rate (1L per min versus 3L per min on the Hyperflow).

When funds allow, I will eventually accquire a Steripen or another device to purify. For now, I have the standard iodine and vitamin C tablets. I apologize for the less than stellar pictures. I know this is nothing special but I am rather proud of myself for buying gear that holds water. Guns, ammo, and flashlights kick ass but water is so much more important and so often overlooked.
MOA Explained - Secure your data!
"There's two ways to change the way a guy feels about you. You can catch him on fire or you can slap him. So that's what I did."
- Marcus Luttrell

ImmaMedic

Re: My Bladder and Water

Post by ImmaMedic » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:15 pm

Those look really nice. I believe I might have to pick one up.

Just a side note, ever since discovering this forum, I have noticed my bank account decreasing at a steady rate. :lol:

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:17 pm

thanks so much for the pics and info. :)
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:16 pm

You never mentioned how much they cost... I'm not sure I want to know either. :wink: The look expensive.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:20 pm

Murph wrote:You never mentioned how much they cost... I'm not sure I want to know either. :wink: The look expensive.
Click the links (the names). :) They're not expensive.
Dromedary: a 10L is $40, a 2L was $30.
Hydromedary: a 3L is $37, a 2L is $33
That seems about average for some of the bladders I've seen.

There's also a review of the Dromedary in this older thread: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=15355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:12 pm

I've got the giant MSR Dromeday bladder and I adore it. It always goes camping with me. It's totally bombproof.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Darxus

Post by Darxus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:00 pm

Thanks for this post. Largely because of it, I just picked up the 3L hydromedary and 10L dromedary. And the MSR Hyperflow to go with them. Now to see about actually putting them to use.
"You only truly own what you can carry at a dead run." - 14th/15th century Landschneckts

My BOB (very out of date photos) and my IFAK (no photos). Working on it.

Bad Penny 08
Favorite Zombie Movies: The good ones.
Contrary to popular belief by the tasteless millions you CAN have realism in fiction.
But if you like being spoon fed crap...go right ahead.

Post by Bad Penny 08 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:58 pm

I have tons of MSR stuff including their 10L Drom bag, EX filter, Pocket Rocket stove, etc.

They make great stuff. You can't go wrong.

One thing the Ex pump and sweetwater line has over the other Katadyn filters i have is that it is much easier to pump and the sweetwater brand drops are much easier to use than purification tablets.

[edited 8/2/10]
Deanimator - Bust-a-Bin - zombie-survival-outbreak | IMFDB.Com| Service Manuals
FAL/AR/AK neutral,M-37,.40S&W,CompM3 2MOA,cheesecake,Blue wire,bayonet ambivalent
Comic books are not real life...get over it! | Tuff guy of the year award: "You're really not listening, accountant."

wpick

Post by wpick » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:28 pm

Hello

With all due respect, the Dromadarys I've had has always leaked. I've been using Platypus exclusively with no problems. They are lighter and just as tough.

Walter

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:38 pm

I had a dromedary many years ago and it started leaking at the mouth. I tried to get it to stop, but no luck... So I took it back to REI and they gave me a new one. It's a good product and the manufacturer always stands behind the product.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Bad Penny 08
Contrary to popular belief by the tasteless millions you CAN have realism in fiction.

Post by Bad Penny 08 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:24 pm

wpick wrote:Hello

With all due respect, the Dromadarys I've had has always leaked. I've been using Platypus exclusively with no problems. They are lighter and just as tough.

Walter
Bummer.

MSR and Platypus (as well as Therma-a-rest and others) are part of the same company.

I have several Platys also.
FAL/AR/AK neutral,M-37,.40S&W,CompM3 2MOA,cheesecake,Blue wire,bayonet ambivalent
Comic books are not real life...get over it! | Tuff guy of the year award: "You're really not listening, accountant."

rhunter1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake)

Post by rhunter1 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:54 pm

I have a 3L and 10L Dromedary as well. I bought the hose adapter kit for the 3L, and also bought the spigot. Rarely use the hose adapter kit because I just don't feel comfortable with it in my pack, upside down, with 2 threaded closures just waiting to come lose. The spigot on the other hand is great. For basecamping with 2-4 people I keep the 3L and 10L hung from a branch and use the spigot on the 10L. Makes filling water bottles and other around camp activities much easier. You don't have to wait for the slow default trickle rate or the deal with the "Oh this is a nice rate of water flow. Ok I'm done now OH SHIT WATER IS GOING EVERYWHERE WHILE I TRY TO TWIST THE CAP BACK ON" scenario :)

Bad Penny 08

Post by Bad Penny 08 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:03 pm

Dawgboy wrote:I had a dromedary many years ago and it started leaking at the mouth. I tried to get it to stop, but no luck... So I took it back to REI and they gave me a new one. It's a good product and the manufacturer always stands behind the product.
The packaging on the Drom bags isn't very substantial. Just a folded over piece of cardboard.

I often see open packaging at REI (and sportco here in WA) and other stores.

It wouldn't surprise me if 100 people had treated it like a display model and it was closed up to look new before you got it.

I suspect this may be the cause of some of the problems above.

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:18 pm

Bad Penny 08 wrote:

Walter
Bummer.

MSR and Platypus (as well as Therma-a-rest and others) are part of the same company.

oh? interesting.. what is the parent company?

Defeater

Post by Defeater » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:29 pm

1200RT-P wrote:
Bad Penny 08 wrote:

Walter
Bummer.

Cascade Designs, a Seattle-based company. They are MSR, Therm-A-Rest, Platypus, Seal Line (waterproof bags and the like), and Tracks (hiking poles etc.).
AK, .45 ACP (but aware 9mm will do the job), Red Wire, Pie, Seahawks.
Micro Survival Kit / Tactical Diaper Bag / Bugout First Aid Kit
Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:11 am

Defeater wrote:
1200RT-P wrote:
Bad Penny 08 wrote:

Walter
Bummer.

Cascade Designs, a Seattle-based company. They are MSR, Therm-A-Rest, Platypus, Seal Line (waterproof bags and the like), and Tracks (hiking poles etc.).

I learn something new every day .....

killjoy
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend,28 days later,resident
evil:extinction

Post by killjoy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:56 pm

hey guys, i've been on here for a while but dont post much...

These MSR's are really a good product and all, but if your lookin for something cheaper Nalgene makes something similar.

they're cheaper, and really durable (i have the 96 oz.) they come in three different sizes...

just thought i'd throw that in there :D
"The future belongs to those who prepare for it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jungfrau

Post by Jungfrau » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:31 pm

I have an old blue MSR Dromedary, I would estimate it is 4 liters but I am not sure. It has yet to fail me and has scene a fair bit of use. I also have a Platypus bottle from when they were new that does not get much use at all but it does work. I just find the MSR to be more durable and weight is not a huge deal at 6.9oz for 4L. I am actually thinking about buying another couple Dromedary bags in the 6L & 10L. Now the Softbottle by Platypus is rather attractive at less than 1oz for 1L container for limited spaces. When I need a bladder I use Camelbak and I love them. I have yet to have a problem and have probably been using them for about 10ish years now. In fact I am about to buy another Camelbak system.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”