Solar powered watch

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Murph

Re: Solar powered watch

Post by Murph » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:55 pm

Confucius wrote:
Maast wrote:I dunno, I disagree - even in a post-SHTF world I think timekeeping will still be important.

I'm thinking things like guard post schedules, alarms to wake up, timing of meetups, etc.
Determining longitude...

Not a fan of big watches. If they made a solar watch that looked just like my timex expedition, I'd be set...
Which model Timex Expedition do you have? There's probably something close.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:57 pm

Murph wrote:
Confucius wrote:
Maast wrote:I dunno, I disagree - even in a post-SHTF world I think timekeeping will still be important.

I'm thinking things like guard post schedules, alarms to wake up, timing of meetups, etc.
Determining longitude...

Not a fan of big watches. If they made a solar watch that looked just like my timex expedition, I'd be set...
http://www.timex.com/watches/timex-expe ... out-t49963

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:04 pm

Confucius wrote:
Murph wrote:
Confucius wrote:

Determining longitude...

http://www.timex.com/watches/timex-expe ... out-t49963
I own this Citizen EcoDrive model and it's my favorite for everyday wear:
http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watch ... BM8180-03E

I replaced the strap with a NATO one though:
http://natostrapsco.com/collections/all ... dware-18mm
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

mzmc
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Started out with Resident Evil, but I got better.

Post by mzmc » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:26 pm

Low-brow suggestion:

Casio Edifice Series, Tough Solar model, specifically the EFA134SB-1A1V (that's a mouthful).

http://www.casio.com/products/archive/W ... 34SB-1A1V/

Description from the website linked above:
casio.com wrote: At A Glance

The new Combi series from Edifice combines the classic look of analog with the functionality of digital in a Non-Stop Solar Powered design. 3 analog hands provide a timeless feel while the digital window displays such useful information as day/date, alarm, stopwatch and countdown timer. 12/24 hour formats and 29-city world time also convenient while traveling.

Solar Powered
Stainless Steel Case and Band with IP Bezel
3-Hand Analog with Digital Display
100M Water Resistant

Attributes

Band Type: Stainless Steel
Color: Silver
Dial Code: Analog and Digital

Technical Specs

Tough Solar Power
100M Water Resistant
LED Light With Afterglow
World Time
29 time zones (29 cities + UTC), city code display, daylight
saving on/off
4 Daily Alarms & 1 Snooze Alarm
Hourly Time Signal
1/100 Second Stopwatch
Measuring capacity: 00:59'59.99"
Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
Countdown Timer
Measuring unit: 1 second
Input range: 1 minute to 100 minutes (1-minute increments)
Full auto-calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
12/24 Hour Formats
Mineral Glass
Stainless Steel Band
Stainless Steel Case
Stainless Steel IP Bezel
Accuracy: ± 15 seconds per month
Low Battery Indicator
Storage Battery: Solar Rechargeable
Approx. battery life: 5 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
Module: 5200

Size of case / total weight EFA134SB 47.4 x 44.0 x 10.5mm / 138g

I've had one for about 2 years, and I've never had a reason to complain. You get a nice analog dial with actuall GID inlays in the hands, the small digital window just works, date, timer, stopwatch, world clock are funtional. It's a nice, simple design that doesn't look out of place when wearing a suit (even though it's a Casio).

Nice gizmo: When the watch detects it has been in the dark for a few minutes, it turns off the digital display and stops the second hand at the 12 o'clock position to conserve battery power. Minute and hounr hand keep going. When you get the watch out into the light OR press the light button to illuminate it, the digital display is switched back on, and the second hand comes to life and whirrs into position. It's really nice to watch and warms my geek heart every time. :ohdear:

Here's mine:

And next to a cheap Seiko automatic (Seiko 5 FTW!):

(sorry about the picture quality, my phone doesn't agree with the crappy lighting provided by my desk lamp)

Another nice thing, compared to other Casios: mineral glass. You see the scratches it has? These are from a solid and very rough brick wall that tore the skin off my left arm. Can you imagine what it would have done to a plastic face?

Oh yeah, and if you're a ham: Switch it to world clock mode and it immediately jumps to UTC. Actual UTC, even if you have activated DST, err sorry, "British Summer Time" for the LON timezone. ;)

If you put a gun to my head and told me to say something bad about this watch, I'd probably say "the backlight isn't the greatest in the world, and it's not a Rolex".

For a hundred bucks, you can't complain about this. Not at all.
May contain traces of derp.

Ronin101

Post by Ronin101 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:24 am

I have a casio gw-300 that I bought on clearance at Walmart in 2002 for 35.00. I have worn it for the past 13 years 24/7. I work in a prison and it gets beat up. One of the few pieces of gear i really brag about. the strap is all scuffed but still holding together :)

Danger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Danger » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:44 pm

I picked up the Casio 1300 "Pathfinder" about 8 years ago and it has taken some serious beatings and keeps on ticking.
This one but I used my 20% coupon from REI when buying:
http://www.amazon.com/Casio-PAW1300-1V- ... B000WCOBJW

I don't use many features other than the time, alarms, and the compass. I wouldn't want to do land navigation with the compass but for rough orientation for things like setting up a ham radio antenna or knowing which way to turn in an unfamiliar city on a cloudy day it does the trick! I also like to hang it up I my tent at night and check the thermometer in the morning when I wake up.
(Insert witty comment here)

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:28 pm

Danger wrote:I picked up the Casio 1300 "Pathfinder" about 8 years ago and it has taken some serious beatings and keeps on ticking.
Clearly the "PAW" in PAW1300-1V stands for 'Post Apocalyptic World'. :crazy:

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:50 am

Danger wrote:I picked up the Casio 1300 "Pathfinder" about 8 years ago and it has taken some serious beatings and keeps on ticking.

I don't use many features other than the time, alarms, and the compass. I wouldn't want to do land navigation with the compass but for rough orientation for things like setting up a ham radio antenna or knowing which way to turn in an unfamiliar city on a cloudy day it does the trick! I also like to hang it up I my tent at night and check the thermometer in the morning when I wake up.
Same here. Got the silver version at a secondhand store 5+ years ago, the thing is a tank! I wear it daily, and it is getting some serious scuffs, but keeps working perfectly.

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:29 am

Another one here for the Casio Pathfinder. Mine is a PAG240 ("Pathfinder" Triple Sensor Multi-Function Sport Watch) that I got about a year and a half ago. Sometimes I'll take it off and sit it on my desk at work to see what the office temperature is that day. :)

Initially it had some issues with the compass (it was off by about 20 degrees, even after going through the calibration process), but that eventually fixed itself. I don't wear it every day, as it's fairly large and doesn't always work with my outfit, but it's my go-to watch whenever possible. There are enough functions on it that I have to stop and think how to use some of them, and it's the only watch I've ever owned that came with an actual instruction book to cover all the features!

Here it is on Amazon: http://amzn.com/B003URP7NK

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:49 pm

Thanks in no small part to the enthusiasm in this thread (and the bug-out deals one) I've just taken possession of a Casio AQ-S810W-1AV
While they seem to be available in the US for about $25 or so, over here the best I could do was GB£23 (roughly $33). First impressions are that it's lightweight (compared to the metal-cased and -braceleted Vostok I was wearing before) and comfortable. The digital display is small but clear, the backlight is effective but only illuminates the digital display (the hands and numbers being luminous).

I'm going to wear it for the next couple of weeks at least and see how I get on with it :)
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”