Adventures in rice, beans and bulk dry milk storage

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Adventures in rice, beans and bulk dry milk storage

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:30 pm

flybynight wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:13 pm
moab wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:18 pm
Where should I buy 50 lbs each of black beans and rice? Links please? I've looking thru Costco online. And not finding to much. Same with Amazon. I found rice on amazon. But not sure which one I should buy. Same with black beans. I'd like to either pick this stuff up this week. Or have it ordered and delivered. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We live next to LAX so it seems only a matter of time before we are hit with Coronavirus issues.
dude.. seriously you live in L A black beans and rice should be no problem. Drive east on Artesia into Gardena and pick any store with HAPPY, STAR, SWAN, YONG or LEE in the name and they should have bulk rice by the pallet. find the nearest Vallarta mkt for the beans.
I recommend a *wide* variety of spices.

Variety is the spice of life after all.... :wink:

moab

Post by moab » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:53 pm

flybynight wrote:
moab wrote:
Where should I buy 50lbs each of black beans and rice? Links please? I've looking thru Costco online. And not finding to much. Same with Amazon. I found rice on amazon. But not sure which one I should buy. Same with black beans. I'd like to either pick this stuff up this week. Or have it ordered and delivered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We live next to LAX so it seems only a matter of time before we are hit with Coronavirus issues.
dude.. seriously you live in L A black beans and rice should be no problem. Drive east on Artesia into Gardena and pick any store with HAPPY, STAR, SWAN, YONG or LEE in the name and they should have bulk rice by the pallet. find the nearest Vallarta mkt for the beans
You know my area well. I'll check those out too. Where do you live?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:59 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:46 pm
moab wrote:
Where should I buy 50lbs each of black beans and rice? Links please? I've looking thru Costco online. And not finding to much. Same with Amazon. I found rice on amazon. But not sure which one I should buy. Same with black beans. I'd like to either pick this stuff up this week. Or have it ordered and delivered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We live next to LAX so it seems only a matter of time before we are hit with Coronavirus issues.
Locally. Be friendly with everyone there.
Why wouldn't I be friendly? :) I'm friendly. I just have a plan to kill everyone I meet. ;)

That " ;) " means I'm joking. Just for the record. I really am a friendly guy though. :)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:32 am

moab wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:59 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:46 pm
moab wrote:

Locally. Be friendly with everyone there.
Why wouldn't I be friendly? :) I'm friendly. I just have a plan to kill everyone I meet. ;)

That " ;) " means I'm joking. Just for the record. I really am a friendly guy though. :)
8-)

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:57 am

moab wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:53 pm
flybynight wrote:
moab wrote:

dude.. seriously you live in L A black beans and rice should be no problem. Drive east on Artesia into Gardena and pick any store with HAPPY, STAR, SWAN, YONG or LEE in the name and they should have bulk rice by the pallet. find the nearest Vallarta mkt for the beans
Kansas :awesome:
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

moab

Post by moab » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:45 am

flybynight wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:57 am
moab wrote:
flybynight wrote:
moab wrote:

You must be from here then.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:58 am

moab wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:45 am
flybynight wrote:
moab wrote:
flybynight wrote:

Yea thought we discussed this before. Born, raised and lived in Torrance for 50 years. Heck I used to surf right at the end of Grand.

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

moab

Post by moab » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:09 am

flybynight wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:58 am
moab wrote:
flybynight wrote:
moab wrote:

Yea thought we discussed this before. Born, raised and lived in Torrance for 50 years. Heck I used to surf right at the end of Grand.
That's still the best beach. Hidden for the most part. You can still find parking. lol. I fish off that beach. I've been in El Segundo for over 15 years. But can't wait to move back to WA soon. I hate it here. Traffic is terrible and the people aren't much nicer. Get out of LA county and it's a lot better. But still urban sprawl. I could go on. But I won't. My son got accepted to LMU and is waiting on the UC schools. So we'll probably always have a connection to here. As my son loves it. Somehow I didn't raise him right. ;)

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:41 am

moab wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:09 am
flybynight wrote:
moab wrote:
flybynight wrote:

That's still the best beach. Hidden for the most part. You can still find parking. lol. I fish off that beach. I've been in El Segundo for over 15 years. But can't wait to move back to WA soon. I hate it here. Traffic is terrible and the people aren't much nicer. Get out of LA county and it's a lot better. But still urban sprawl. I could go on. But I won't. My son got accepted to LMU and is waiting on the UC schools. So we'll probably always have a connection to here. As my son loves it. Somehow I didn't raise him right. ;)
Preaching to the choir. Left in 06. It just wasn't the same place we grew up. Your son likes it cause L A is youth oriented. ( and the pretty girls :lol: ) . All my siblings but one sister moved out of state, Most of their kids too. None of my kids ever want to go back and my son was just like yours. Loved L A. But then he grew up

moab

Post by moab » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:52 am

flybynight wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:41 am
moab wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:09 am
flybynight wrote:
moab wrote:

Preaching to the choir. Left in 06. It just wasn't the same place we grew up. Your son likes it cause L A is youth oriented. ( and the pretty girls :lol: ) . All my siblings but one sister moved out of state, Most of their kids too. None of my kids ever want to go back and my son was just like yours. Loved L A. But then he grew up
I hope that happens to my son. :)

moab

Post by moab » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:54 am

Do you guys think temporarily storing the beans and rice in Home Depot 5gal buckets is ok for now? Just to keep animals out of it? I have to store it in my garage. Not that we have any animals now. There are just a lot of rats here at the beach outside. Just my luck one would get in my garage and feast on the stuff.

I'll eventually get mylar bags.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:54 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:54 am
Do you guys think temporarily storing the beans and rice in Home Depot 5gal buckets is ok for now? Just to keep animals out of it? I have to store it in my garage. Not that we have any animals now. There are just a lot of rats here at the beach outside. Just my luck one would get in my garage and feast on the stuff.

I'll eventually get mylar bags.
Short term it should be fine. If it were me I would keep them in the bags they came in and place them in one of those rectangle containers.

that would keep those wharf rats out short term

the Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers are pretty cheap

https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-10-200 ... 184&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/10-Inch-16-Inch- ... 1582998655

Firefly58

Post by Firefly58 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:56 am

Not sure about the nutritional value between white and brown rice...I know dieticians love the brown! I've also read it doesn't keep as long as the white because it has a higher oil content .. Something to investigate! I personally love jasmine rice! I'll have to check out how long it keeps too! This is an amazing thread! I just bought 100 lbs of various dry beans and was looking for information on storage! You guys are awesome! I've learned a lot from reading this thread! 😊

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:55 pm

@Firefly58

You are correct, Brown rice is not a good LTS item.

White rice, fortified white rice is a solid choice LTS storage item. Properly stored rice should be good for 30 years. Properly = Sealed in mylar, O2 scrubber and in a cool, dry place - as described int he OP.

here is a link to nutrition of each
https://www.healthline.com/health/food- ... white-rice

Consider getting some beans - black, red or white to go with that rice. I personally avoid pinto beans as they seem to quickly turn to gravel in storage,.,,

Welcome to the board.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:45 am

So even in mylar with o2 absorbers brown rice wont store as long?

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:48 pm

The bran (the stuff that makes brown rice brown) is oily, and goes bad. I think it also traps more moisture. So brown rice is unfortunately (I prefer it for flavor and texture over white rice) not a good prep item.

I think you can replace most of the "missing" components in brown rice with beans, though, which do store rather well.

Side note: anyone have a good online source for bulk rice and beans? I can find all sorts of websites, but prefer to deal with known quantities when possible. There's not a good local place; even the Asian market only had 5lb bags of jasmine rice, other varieties were 2lb or 1lb. Walmart and Sam's Club are out for moral reasons (until those fuckers pay me back the $1,200 they screwed me out of back in college...with interest), and the nearest Costco is hours away.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:54 am

Another option is Converted Rice Basically they parboil brown rice, dry it out and then remove the husk. The boiling process drives a good amount of the vitamins and minerals from the husk into the rice itself. It's nutritionally similar to brown rice, cooks faster than white rice and stores just as well as regular white rice. Supposedly more resistant to weevils, but that's neither here nor there for properly stored grains. Little bit pricier than regular white rice.

HarlequinHal

Post by HarlequinHal » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:34 am

boskone wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:48 pm
Side note: anyone have a good online source for bulk rice and beans? I can find all sorts of websites, but prefer to deal with known quantities when possible. There's not a good local place; even the Asian market only had 5lb bags of jasmine rice, other varieties were 2lb or 1lb. Walmart and Sam's Club are out for moral reasons (until those fuckers pay me back the $1,200 they screwed me out of back in college...with interest), and the nearest Costco is hours away.
My go-to for bulk grains is pleasanthillgrain.com, located in Nebraska. I have placed several orders with them for wheat, barley and rye plus general kitchen supplies and have never had a problem. They seem to be good people.

If you're going to buy grains, rice and/or beans by the 5-gallon bucket, I would strongly recommend investing in some gamma lids. They replace the stock lid on the bucket and have an insert that is easily screwed/unscrewed for accessing contents. The lids are reusable but are a pain to remove once in place. Pleasant Hill sells them, but they're also available from Amazon.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”