It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm 

Hey all,

I'm trying to come up with a zombie themed birthday party.

The cake is my biggest question so the thread's here. I'm thinking something on the graphical level of Scoobie Doo so I don't terrorize the younger people. I've a couple ideas like http://www.cartonionline.com/tv/boomera ... age006.jpg or maybe a http://www.byseanferrell.com/creeper.jpg with http://videodetective.com/photos/334/001404_25.jpg just below and to the right of it. Or maybe a cake in the shape of a zombie with cherry filling in the head and swirled chocolate with gummy worms for the rest of the body. mint green frosting and a comical zombie face with big googly eyes. It would be nice if we could make this a low dairy content cake to work around some allergies, but that might be asking too much.

I then also need some games. Pin the head on the zombie, anyone? Bobbing for hearts (stewed tomatoes) in guts (spagetti), maybe? Maybe not. I also have Zombie Fluxx (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/29387) as well as some others that are a bit too graphic for the younger players.

Inexpensive party favors? Water guns for sure. I don't know if I'll have the budget for a fully fledged water shot gun plunger type deal or a super soaker ar, but small ones might work.

What can the experts tell me I'm missing?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:48 pm 

Rock On!!! Wish I were goinng. :twisted:

It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it - Burt Gummer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:46 pm 

Ok, I'm told I need a zombie pinata. I don't know why I didn't think of this. Also, that I should use raspberry instead of cherry filling for the cake, since it'll look more like congealed dried blood and be easier to squirt into the cake. My deadline's Friday.

Ideas! Ideas!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:25 pm 

Ooh! Ooh! I know! Thorax Cake!

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:29 pm 

Could you riff off this idea in some way? Find a zombie / scared face doll. Paint it green or gray, and cut it so that it would look like it's coming out of the cake.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31580&p=660166&hilit=garden+zombie#p660166

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:52 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

For party favors and stuff I'd google Halloween party ideas.

For the cake you can take those pix and they can be printed as edible images and just stuck to the top of the cake. Most cake decorating stores that offer pictures on cakes can print it off for ya.

Another idea would be to make a cake that looks like a grave with headstone (use cookie crumbs to make "dirt" and the headstone can be edible by making it out of rice krispie treat and covering with icing) and have a hand sticking out. Hand can be edible (make it out of fondant) or use a fake hand.

As for the dairy, most cakes don't need dairy at all, not even the icing.

Let's see if this will post, it's from cakecentral.com they have TONS of cakes there and recipes for icing etc.

ImageImageImage

Mother of 7!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:12 pm 

Towanda, that thorax cake's just nasty. I'd love it. I don't think the kiddies parents would appreciate it very much, but if I ever do this for people with strong stomachs, that's definitly at the top of my list.

Since I'm short on time, I'm gonna have to contract out the cake to a local store. They just need to know the finally design Friday so unless I hear a better idea, I think i'm gonna use guy crawling out of the ground, but make it less 3D and a bit more comical to lessen the shock value. We'll wrap the hands around, one in front and one behind the head to just look wrong. Chocolate shavings for hair and Oreo crumbs for dirt. That should be fairly simple to make too. CakeCentral.com had a couple cakes that looked good but I don't have the time to make them and they're more complex than what I think the grocery store will take on. I did steal the gravestone idea from one cake, but I don't think mine'll be that detailed with the faded stone coloring. I like the idea of chocolate bones in the arms, I don't know if they'll do custom molding for the bones, roughly carved candy bars inserted into the cake might be close enough.

I found a halloween idea to "pick scarecrow's nose" game which is pin the tail on the zombie. This maps back to my pin the head on the zombie, but inspires me to change it to "Feed the Zombie" so that we're pinning a brain in the zombies mouth. The kid who get's the brain most square in the mouth wins. Mmm, alternately they could throw pieces of spagetti or mini brain candies into a cardboard cutout.

I found a few different places that can make custom zombie pinata's, but not in 2 days. I'm gonna have to skip this one even though it's my personal favorite.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:04 am 

there's always a bleeding cake, and this:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:10 pm 

MCboy wrote:
I then also need some games.

Shoot the head off the zombie

^ coming soon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:23 pm 

What about squirt guns and playing manhunt but with zombies?

YOU PUT THE MAGAZINE IN
YOU TAKE THE MAGAZINE OUT
YOU TURN IT UPSIDE-DOWN AND THEN YOU SHAKE IT ALL ABOUT
YOU YELL SOME MOTHERFUCKERS THEN YOU BEAT THE SPRING BACK OUT
THATS-WHAT-ITS-ALL-ABOUT!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:40 pm 

MCBoy, I didn't realize it was a kids' party. Try Graveyard Cake for next time. :)

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:38 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Towanda wrote:
Ooh! Ooh! I know! Thorax Cake!

I am repulsed.....yet, I am drawn to it.....

>>> Join Zombie Squad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:56 am 

Just so you don't get any ideas about wondering where the braaaaaiiins went to. Oh, btw, the party went great folks. *sniff* A camera hasn't been at the top of my list so I unfortunately don't have pictures, but thanks all.