Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Foil Cookery
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:07 am 

My favorite foil recipe. Can use either chicken, fish or shrimp.

Wrap foil up to so you can place the meat inside. Once meat is inside add a splash of soy sauce, fresh ginger, fresh cut up green onions a bit of garlic and some five spice. Sprinkle with a little bit of some sort of citrus juice (I like blood orange or lime).

Cook in an oven, over coals, on your bbq until done. One thing I tried last time was adding a bit of chopped fresh cilantro with it and that came out wonderfully.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:19 pm 

TravisM.1 wrote:
dogbane wrote:
Wrapped it in foil (shiny side in is supposed to make it slightly hotter--who knows?):

Just a general FYI:
They did Aluminum Foil on Discorey's "How It's Made" a few weeks ago. The reason one side is shiny and the other is dull, IIRC, is that they run two rolls of foil (of the proper width) thru a press at the same time, back-to-back. The dull side is the surface that was pressed against the other sheet of foil, while the shiny side is actually sort of polished by the rollers on the press.

My favorite foil recipe is what my wife simply calls "packets".
Get some stew (cubed) meat- beef or venison; you could even use pork or chicken, even high-quality cuts of meat if you feel like cubing it yourself.

Get some vegetables. I always use Celery, Onion, Carrots and Potatoes.

Wrap vegetables and meat in a sheet of foil, leaving the top open for the time being.

I always salt and pepper mine beforehand, but it isn't necessary.

Drop in some butter. I usually put in a couple tablespoons full.

Roll the top edges of the foil together to seal the packet. You could also double-wrap it in foil if you wanted, but this makes it a little difficult to check the progress if the opening sections aren't lined up.

Put 'em on the grill. It usually takes about a half-hour or a little more to cook them, and no side dishes are needed. Everything cooks in the packet, flavors mingle and it comes out delicious.

In Boyscouts this was done using ground beef, and was called Hobo dinners. Great taste!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:30 pm 

back in the day when i was a long haul trucker I had a friend who would foil wrap things and secure them near the exhaust manifold for a slow all day cooking lol. I use to wonder about the healthiness of this, exhaust gasses etc. but hes been around a lot longer than me and is still going. modern invention brought power inverters down to a reasonable price now almost all truckers use microvaves and toaster ovens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:40 pm 
BANNED

usually cook food 80% before camping and then put into disposable aluminum pans. Freeze covered in foil. Mac and cheese(add a bit extra milk), stew, ribs, and BBQ chicken.

Make a keystone firepit, so you can drags coals away from main fire. Reheat.

We used to make the foil packets at camp when I was a kid. If you put contents in metal bowl and mix with a little canola so everything gets slightly coated, then put in middle of 2 layers of foil, bring 2 corners together and seal and only tent other 2 corners. You get really crispy onions, potatoes and veggies, allowing water to exit.

I do worry about all the aluminum in our diets tho.