Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bug out motorcycle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:42 pm 

skelco wrote:
dukman wrote:
My friends are 2-stroke ATV nuts. Most of them run well and seem to run forever, until you start modifying them. Remove the airbox, aftermarket pipe, larger carbs, etc etc - they all push the bike to it's limits and make it easier for something to go wrong.

that's exactly what I'm talking about, more mods = more problems, poor maintenance and mixing chain saw or regular motor oil are also issues. To be fair, I know plenty of people who blow up 4-strokes too ;)
The problem is...when you start messing with the suck/squeeze/bang/blow of the engine (airbox, less restrictive exhaust) you change the stoichiometric mixture of fuel to air...it makes the engine "lean" out and run MUCH hotter, heat + aircooled 2 stroke = bad juju! It's actually just a tiny bit better to run a 2 stroker a wee bit rich, this way even if its wasting fuel...it ain't burning up the piston or scoring the cylinders.

WOW...that little madass is cool
http://www.moto-scoot.net/sachs_madass_125.php

It only has 13hp less than my 650cc V-star 650, and at $2500 that's not bad! However my fat butt on the thing...I would get MAYBE 20mph out of it...haha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:34 pm 

mojomoto wrote:

My project. 90cc, 4 speed auto clutch. Should be good for 50+ mph @ 110+mpg. Original engine was 59cc that could get 130+ mpg. Too slow to be safe on streets.

Easy to hide (if it wasn't orange), light, most parts are very plentiful, simple, can be driven almost anywhere (walking/deer paths. No paths). Can be easily lifted over obstacles. With a 5 gallon tank on bike trailer with gear... 650+ miles on paved roads.

I have to make it quieter though. Then it would be stealthy. Way fun to drive. :wink:

That is pretty neat. Not sure if I'd go for it, but at over 100mpg I won't knock anyone for riding one.

I used to have a TTR125L kiddie dirtbike that I had street legal. It only had about 9-10 horsepower but it was pretty cool. Would get you up to 50 mph pretty quick then top out around 62. It was really my wife's bike, but I had fun flogging it occasionally.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:20 am 

If money wasn't an issue I'd like a Ural sidehack with the two wheel drive. I've used my Chang Jiang for doing surveys and while it's no ATV, it beats a car on rough dirt tracks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:10 am 

Someone say BOB?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:04 am 

pirro wrote:
Im 1.83 mts and weight 90 kg. I use it to swim between the trafic that be have here in buenos aires. I know that a bigger bike looks much better but if you are looking for some thing that do its job in the most efficient way, the madass is for you.

Saludos.

Please use the measurement system God likes better and inspired the monarchs of England to use. What the hell is that supposed to mean?
I like the motorcycle but this seems like an awesome choice too.http://www.peirspeed.com/delivery.htm

Actually I find it absolutely ridiculous the USA still does not use the metric system regularly outside of engines, soda pop bottles, and rifle/artillery measurements.

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:22 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

bigmattdaddywack wrote:
pirro wrote:
Im 1.83 mts and weight 90 kg. I use it to swim between the trafic that be have here in buenos aires. I know that a bigger bike looks much better but if you are looking for some thing that do its job in the most efficient way, the madass is for you.

Saludos.

Please use the measurement system God likes better and inspired the monarchs of England to use. What the hell is that supposed to mean?
I like the motorcycle but this seems like an awesome choice too.http://www.peirspeed.com/delivery.htm

What pirro was saying is that the Sachs scooters are light, efficient, and nimble, although not as sexy as a KTM enduro. He's about 6' tall and about 200lb, or in the English units of measure (the ones the monarchs of England use) 1.83m tall and weighing about 14 stone, or in the Biblical units of measure 3.9 cubits tall and weighing 3 talents. Google conversion is your friend.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:39 am 

Doc Torr wrote:
bigmattdaddywack wrote:
pirro wrote:

Saludos.

What pirro was saying is that the Sachs scooters are light, efficient, and nimble, although not as sexy as a KTM enduro. He's about 6' tall and about 200lb, or in the English units of measure (the ones the monarchs of England use) 1.83m tall and weighing about 14 stone, or in the Biblical units of measure 3.9 cubits tall and weighing 3 talents. Google conversion is your friend.

I was just really bored and decided to be a smart ass that is all. :D

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:49 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

bigmattdaddywack wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:
bigmattdaddywack wrote:
pirro wrote:

Saludos.

I was just really bored and decided to be a smart ass that is all. :D

So was I. Finding the conversion for kg to talents was tough...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:55 am 

skelco wrote:
There is a specific "moped" license plate in CA, ("motorized bicycle" or some such) that can also be applied to sub 49cc bikes. If you have this plate you are not required to have a motorcycle endorsement (only a standard "car" driver's license), you are allowed to ride in designated bike lanes and you can park on the sidewalk. Some states don't require registration or licensing at all for 49cc bikes, makes em popular with the DUI crowd.

Iowa considers that a motorized bicycle. Further, bicycles here are defined legally as a device, not a vehicle, but when used on the road they have to obey all vehicular laws. I think they do this so that cities can require registration of bicycles (device, not vehicle) and collect the fees for it, or the ticket for not having a registered bicycle (just shy of $100 here in Mason).

Cubits... :lol:

-KD0TCZ/AG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:19 pm 

I really prefer singles for anysort of offpavement use. That said, those big KaTooMs are suprisingly good offroad for such a ginormous bike.

Shakeyhands wrote:
Someone say BOB?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:38 pm 

bucho wrote:
I really prefer singles for anysort of offpavement use. That said, those big KaTooMs are suprisingly good offroad for such a ginormous bike.

You can't beat it for what she'll carry. And yes, she'll go just about anywhere. I have an XR650L as well that I carries on like a tank on single track, but other than tight stuff the 990 keeps right up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:12 pm 

Small motorcycles can be very useful for bugging out. Scooters/mopeds work as well. The nice thing about them is you can pretty much ride them anywhere to avoid traffic, vehicles and such.

The problem with small bikes is they are slow. I rode a Honda Trail 90 from my house to my hunting property which is 170 miles away. It took 6+ hours which was brutal on my back and butt. On a bigger bike or a car the ride is 3 hours. Of course smaller bikes are efficient if you don't mind going 30-40 mph for hours on end. There are guys who tour the country on small bikes including mopeds so it is not that unusual to do and there are a lot of bikes that can do it.

On the other hand, it took me two full days to ride my bicycle to the property and I could hardly walk for another two day so a motorcycle has some advantage. I've been playing with a bicycle with a motor mounted on it so that might be my next trip. Kind of a hybrid between gas and human power.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:23 pm 

Shakeyhands wrote:
Someone say BOB?

I love this. But god I'm still laughing from this:

"I'd look like a monkey fucking a football on that thing"

LMAO! literally. I'd look like a monkey on the OP's bike too. But the above one would work out well for me.

One thing about the OP's bike. Is I don't think anyone would try to steal it from you. Although zipping thru stalled traffic in a huge metropolis I could see someone getting the bright idea to. It would work well for that. Getting thru stalled traffic. Here in CA it's legal to drive between lanes of traffic. Crazy.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin