It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:45 am 

The plan would be to head east, out of all the chaos. I'm thinking something along the lines of a kickstart Enduro with a setup to carry some extra fuel? Of course the wife would have to come with. Would a 250 do?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:46 am 

I would say look into a 4 stroke bike because they have less maintenance and you dont need to mix fuel while riding, plus you have the added benefit of the low end torque when going through technical stuff. You could look into a kawasaki 650, they where used by the military and are pretty reliable capable strong bikes that can be ridden on the road and used as a DD for fuel milage.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:23 pm 

9.0+ Earthquake? If you are anywhere near the epicenter of that thing there will probably be no buildings left standing AT ALL and ALL the roads will be destroyed. Assuming you even survive you'd be lucky if your vehicle did. Best bet in this situation is hope you are in an aircraft of some sort when it happens.

Now I suppose you could be further away when it happens and may experience little to no damage. Doubt you would need to bug out at that point. If you did for some reason don't think there would be any special requirments for a BOV.

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:08 am 

250cc with 2up and gear, not if your going over any hills. i sure it will, but really slow. that kind of weight and on a bike that small would shorten the motor's life. i'm not saying that you and your wife are fat. but a bike that size would be ok if the too of you were 70lb. 8th graders with no gear. one person per bike is fine. so get two, and i'll see you two on the trails (when i'm home i.e. corona,ca)

i myself have not seen a kick start on a non motocross bike in a while, but then i've not been in the market for one.

i would go for a ktm 450, drz400, or a wr450 (i don't think honda makes a streetable 450cc). if you want to never run out of power get a ktm 990 adventure, DR 650se, KLR650, XR650, BMW 650F, BMW GS800, or a BMW 1200gs.

the euro hotrods drink gas fast, break exspencive parts more offten and are $3000.00-$6000.00 more than our trusty japanise friends.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:27 am 
BANNED

9.0?

Helicopter.

I survived ZCon7, 2011
I survived ZCon8, 2012

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:52 pm 

JamesCannon wrote:
9.0?

Helicopter.

Or a sailboat and a westerly heading

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:41 pm 

mega-hertz wrote:
250cc with 2up and gear, not if your going over any hills. i sure it will, but really slow. that kind of weight and on a bike that small would shorten the motor's life. i'm not saying that you and your wife are fat. but a bike that size would be ok if the too of you were 70lb. 8th graders with no gear. one person per bike is fine. so get two, and i'll see you two on the trails (when i'm home i.e. corona,ca)

i myself have not seen a kick start on a non motocross bike in a while, but then i've not been in the market for one.

i would go for a ktm 450, drz400, or a wr450 (i don't think honda makes a streetable 450cc). if you want to never run out of power get a ktm 990 adventure, DR 650se, KLR650, XR650, BMW 650F, BMW GS800, or a BMW 1200gs.

the euro hotrods drink gas fast, break exspencive parts more offten and are $3000.00-$6000.00 more than our trusty japanise friends.

DITTO on everything

Considering what someone else said about buildings being down and just mounds of other stuff all over would you consider a 4-wheeler? Riding on rocks and trails like that are a pain to do not counting a passenger or gear and if you have limited riding experience with non-smooth trails it can be difficult. 4-wheelers will hold the weight better, are very user friendly (no clutch, 4 wheels, reverse, 4x4, anybody can ride with little training), and still esy to get one with a jump start back-up. I hate four wheelers and would choose one over a bike anyday but that is because I've been riding bikes for years, for your situation I would consider a 4-wheeler though.

I'm here to generally help you out but I do have the power to make your day shit. If you're nice to me, I'm nice to you. Comply with my simple and straight forward requests and everything goes smoothly...don't and it doesn't go smoothly. Thats it.

That sounds about right, ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:10 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

GMZ wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:
9.0?

Helicopter.

+1 on a sailboat heading west or south.

Link to The Street.Com Bank Ratings Lookup - Use this to see if your bank is healthy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:29 am 

raptor wrote:
GMZ wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:
9.0?

Helicopter.

+1 on a sailboat heading west or south.

an earthquake makes the surf jump pretty high. a 9.0+ would just about wreak the boats in every harbor, and the debris left floating could sink you fast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:33 am 

GMZ wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:
9.0?

Helicopter.

you need a good pair of boots

my blog: GarandThumb.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:21 pm 

I second boots! Asolos to go.

that or the trusty old:

Mad Max Gyrocopter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:29 pm 

How about a horse?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:45 pm 

Quote:
an earthquake makes the surf jump pretty high. a 9.0+ would just about wreak the boats in every harbor, and the debris left floating could sink you fast

Very good point.

For me, a KLR 650, Quad, or horse i think would do the trick.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:11 pm 

1200RT-P wrote:
Quote:

Very good point.

For me, a KLR 650, Quad, or horse i think would do the trick.

:shock: :shock: :shock: what no BMW 1200rt to get you out of town
i thought that the tela-leaver and para-leaver supention is supose too take out all the supriseses in the road. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:01 pm 

:mrgreen:

~600lbs wet + gear? Its a comfortable and capable road bike, but on funky terrain, i'll take something a bit lighter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:34 am 

1200RT-P wrote:
:mrgreen:

~600lbs wet + gear? Its a comfortable and capable road bike, but on funky terrain, i'll take something a bit lighter.

thats why i roll this: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=47913
8)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:51 am 

Nice. I don't have a ton of dirt/trail riding experience, but quite a bit on the road. I think a KLR might be in my cards soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:17 pm 

A good diesel dirt bike with extra fuel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 am 

For the story you are talking about I'd be using my Honda XR650R. You could still have one pack for the passenger, saddlesbags, tank bag, tank panieers bags, bar bag, and fender bag. Yes, you would still have enough power to climb a hill. I would not want to try that with a 250. Check out the War Bike thread and the Adventure Riders forum. Be prepared to walk no matter what.

DK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:41 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

100cc enduro x2
The bigger bikes are awesome, but I'd like to see you lift one over a fence. I can pick up my little DT100 by myself, and two people can lift it to chest height pretty easily. That would come in real handy in a rubble strewn environment.

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:21 am 

The man has a good point. But I'm gonna look awesome while I'm not getting my bike over the fence. :)

DK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:04 pm 

Maybe its just me, but i think just a good prepped SUV (with 4wd) can handle stuff that happens in a earthquake. Whats the worst you'll come across that a car cant handle that a motorcycle can? Going up a huge hill? Even then with another rider, it makes it EXTREMELY difficult to do even on a motorcycle.

my vote..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:58 pm 

driftking777 wrote:
Whats the worst you'll come across that a car cant handle that a motorcycle can?

That already swallowed one SUV. Unless you have a competition rock crawler, nothing's making it through there. However, a bike probably would make it out the end of the street where it necks down to roughly 6'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:11 pm 

Not to mention you'll have to get over all the stuck h2s and h3s that had the same idea. :lol:

I vote dirtbike or enduro 'cause that's what Frodo had in the asteroid movie, and it worked out pretty good for him.