Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: bug out bicycle?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:59 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:58 am
Posts: 5621
Location: Banned from the interwebs
how important would a bicycle be for your failsafe transportation. now that i think about it, it seems like something that no one should go without really. once gas supplies die down or you want to move without making a lot of noise i would imagine that the bicycle is the perfect companion to your BOB and weapon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:36 am 
Offline
*
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 11:22 am
Posts: 85
Location: Stafford, CT
Bike is a good option, but I bet it would get rather awkward with all the bug-out equipment.

I'd rather rely on my two feet to escape when my car kicks the proverbial bucket.

_________________
Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is that little-death that brings total annihilation. I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me. When it has gone I will turn my inner-eye to see its path. Where it has gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:47 am 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:12 pm
Posts: 18414
Location: Chicago, IL
I've got a bike that I'd use for bugging out, should the Jeep break down or roads be unusable. I can cover 100 miles of flat ground in a day on my bike; I can't do that on foot.

Remember two things:

1. Your bike should go in your vehicle, so it's not an either-or, it's an added layer of contingency. My wife and I each have a bike, and mine has a Yak BOB trailer. We'd put them in the back of the Cherokee, and use them if we run out of gas, break down, or hit a traffic jam we can't get through.

2. Wearing a pack on a bike sucks. I highly recommend a trailer, like the aptly named Yak B.O.B. (which in this case actually stands for Beast of Burden). You throw your BOB in the trailer, so it's not on your back making you sweat and fucking up your balance. If you need to leave the bike somewhere, just grab your BOB and you're good to go.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:20 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:57 pm
Posts: 2719
Location: Alabama
Bicycles rock. If you load 'em properly and ride regularly, you'll stay in shape and shouldn't have any real trouble with your BoB loadout.
If you traipse into Walmart and buy one, leaving it in the garage for the PAW, you'll find yourself in a world of hurt, and you'll be better off on foot.

On foot, you're a slow moving target, and spend a lot of time in someone's field of fire. On a bike, you may well be long gone before the BG even realizes you're there. This has been proven time and again in various conflicts (ww2, Vietnam, etc.), though the US military only toys with the idea on occasion.

I have a Montague Paratrooper, which was designed to be dropped with a soldier, then deployed within 30 seconds (yep, that's about right) and ridden off. At the very least, it allows for troops to be more dispersed on the drop, with an easy ride to the rally point. At best, a skilled group of people can wreak some serious havoc.
Of course, being afoot can be good too...

Mine rides in the back of the car when I'm on a road trip, and it folds up enough to fit in the cargo area of a small airplane (at least, the C172 I've been flying). I'm currently on the waiting list for an airplane which, I hope, also has enough space for it. If not, I may bite the bullet and spring for one of the small-wheeled jobbies.

_________________
Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:51 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 14625
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont
Here's a pic of the Paratrooper:
http://www.militarybikes.com/products.html

I would recommend going with beartrap or other flat pedals instead of shoe cleats. Dismounting is easier and walking or running with cleats sucks. Clips are okay, but unless you counterbalance them, they flip over when your foot isn't in them.

I also recommend learning at least some minor technical stuff like riding down stairs and jumping curbs. A friend of mine was riding through a prohibited (to bikes) area and a bike cop tried to stop him (I do not endorse running from cops). The cop's skills were minimal and my friend lost him on a flight of stairs.

I also recommend exploring alleys, apartment complexes, rights-of-way, park trails, rail lines, et. and learn as many routes through your city as possible. My experience in "marginal" neighborhoods is that even though I'm riding a scratched old red GT in tattered cargo shorts, the mere presence of a helmet on my noggin convinces the locals that I am a cop.

I heard a good line from another rider: he says some punks tried to take his bike from him and he just handed it to them and said, "Go ahead, I don't care. Take it" The punks were confused and asked him why he gave it up so fast. He told them, "I have a GPS chip in there and I can have the cops within six feet of it in a half an hour." They threw his bike down and walked away.

Edit: Shouldn't this be on the Transportation thread?

_________________
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

My deviantART photo gallery.

I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:12 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:08 pm
Posts: 2639
Location: Check VA
Sounds like a good idea speed+stealth+gear. With a good bike you can strap a lot of gear onto it as long as you balence it correctly. Gear is great but I think the best thing about a bike is the fact that you might as well not be there becuse you make little or no sound.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:20 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 14625
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont
ovationman wrote:
Sounds like a good idea speed+stealth+gear. With a good bike you can strap a lot of gear onto it as long as you balence it correctly. Gear is great but I think the best thing about a bike is the fact that you might as well not be there becuse you make little or no sound.


I've startled quite a few people zipping past them (I do try to be polite and announce myself, esp. in parks; every cyclist is an ambassador for the sport). I once surprised a bunch of disc golfers toking down in a wooded area. They were lucky I wasn't a cop.

_________________
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

My deviantART photo gallery.

I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:29 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:08 pm
Posts: 2639
Location: Check VA
The only negitive I see with a bike is the fact that you can shoot. In the PAW if someone does start shooting at you have to get off the bike to return fire.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:36 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 14625
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont
ovationman wrote:
The only negitive I see with a bike is the fact that you can shoot. In the PAW if someone does start shooting at you have to get off the bike to return fire.


You could probably shoot okay with a pistol if you are on smooth terrain, or even with a rifle if your a competent no-hands rider (would the recoil knock you over?).

How about a swivel-mount on the neck that you could fit a carbine into. The only problem with that is that you could only fire more or less in the direction you are riding, and I don't think a bike would be a good assault vehicle!

_________________
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

My deviantART photo gallery.

I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:49 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:08 pm
Posts: 2639
Location: Check VA
I have this Image of a fully kitted out guy on a bike with a SAW going cyclic (no pun intended). :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:10 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Posts: 12785
Location: Greater New Orleans Area
Bikes have been used by the Japanese in WW-2 and the Vietcong as effective transport vehicles in adverse conditions. We are not talking about 15 speed mountain bikes either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_infantry

Bikes are very effective methods of transport when other vehicles are not available. Clearly I would prefer to bug out in a 4wd suv or 4 door truck, but a bike can beat walking.

_________________
Duco Ergo Sum
Dictum sapienti sat est
Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
Link to Bank Rate.com Bank Ratings Lookup - Use this to see if your bank is healthy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:37 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:58 am
Posts: 5621
Location: Banned from the interwebs
raptor wrote:
Bikes have been used by the Japanese in WW-2 and the Vietcong as effective transport vehicles in adverse conditions. We are not talking about 15 speed mountain bikes either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_infantry

Bikes are very effective methods of transport when other vehicles are not available. Clearly I would prefer to bug out in a 4wd suv or 4 door truck, but a bike can beat walking.


lets not forget the canadian troops during world war one who captured a town by riding across the front. the bewildered germans didnt even fire at them it look so weird. im surprise they are not used more often by armed forces.

one thing thats also great about a bike is that even if you dont ride it, you can use it to carry heavy loads. the vietcong rarely rode the bikes, but used them to haul heavy loads in difficult terrain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:02 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:08 pm
Posts: 2639
Location: Check VA
Still I think in the ideal world I want a horse. Can carry a lot of stuff and plus if its a "bomb Poofed" horse you can shoot back :D .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:12 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:33 am
Posts: 4264
Location: UK
dogbane wrote:
ovationman wrote:
The only negitive I see with a bike is the fact that you can shoot. In the PAW if someone does start shooting at you have to get off the bike to return fire.


You could probably shoot okay with a pistol if you are on smooth terrain, or even with a rifle if your a competent no-hands rider (would the recoil knock you over?).

How about a swivel-mount on the neck that you could fit a carbine into. The only problem with that is that you could only fire more or less in the direction you are riding, and I don't think a bike would be a good assault vehicle!


No, no and no. The Swiss use their bikes as bipods, and a few years ago LAPD published a video demonstrating bike/handgun technique. Point one was "stop or you won't hit shit". :)

Bikes rock, but I would say that as I'm an uber-bikie. Main thing is: they need no fuel and they don't need working roads. The ZS guy who did reconstruction work after Katrina (sorry man, I forget names!) found that it was perfect for getting around the post-hurricane mess.

_________________
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:15 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 14625
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont
The Swiss Army had a bicycle corps until 2003. You can buy the bikes online now. They have only one gear and weigh about fifty pounds unloaded.

Here are some pics:
http://www.63xc.com/stefs/sabike.htm

Check out the crazy brake on the front: it presses directly down on the tire from the top.

_________________
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

My deviantART photo gallery.

I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:17 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 14625
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont
andygates wrote:
Point one was "stop or you won't hit shit". :)


Point taken.

_________________
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

My deviantART photo gallery.

I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:31 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:33 am
Posts: 4264
Location: UK
I *crave* a Swiss Army bike. But they were first sold to the bike corps veterans, and they're incredibly collectable. Notice how the frames are bolted together, so you can make a working bike from the bits of broken ones. Standardisation and modularity FTW.

The International Police Mountain Bike Association do a firearms course, details here: http://www.ipmba.org/instructors.htm

Nothing on archery from the back of a penny-farthing so I'm not interested ;)

Anyway back on topic, a bike in the back of your BOV is a very good idea. There are a few of us here who can answer bike-related questions (I worked in a couple of bike shops before becoming cubicle-bound; Jamoni's hardcore ;) )

_________________
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:21 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:38 pm
Posts: 472
Location: Tacoma, WA, USA!
I'm down with the bikes... Here is my commuter I just built up, might not get away from too many zombies but it's dope!

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... 1&page=100 (flat green cruiser right at the top of the page)

Cheers,

-Grant

_________________
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.


Mahatma Zombie
Chapter Charity Committee Chairman (Say that 10 times fast!)
ZSC: 005 The Pacific Northwest Chapter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:46 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:33 am
Posts: 4264
Location: UK
Nice smooth ride there. Beats my latest: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=390255

_________________
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:59 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:57 pm
Posts: 2719
Location: Alabama
andygates wrote:
Nice smooth ride there. Beats my latest: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=390255


That one just screams ZPAW!

I need to get more time in the dirt, though. Most of my mileage has been on paved roads, and I've done a few centuries, including Hotter'n'Hell... but hardly any time at all in the bumpy dirt.

_________________
Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:12 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:46 pm
Posts: 1966
Location: New York City
I've been wanting to get a decent bike for quite a while but just haven't gotten around to it. What would you guys recommend for a bike that I could take around NYC but also would get me through the Catskills? Where should I begin looking? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: BTW, I'm 6'6" so I think that cuts down on possible bikes, right?

_________________
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image
Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
Rush2112 wrote:
TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:18 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 14625
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont
outoforder2day wrote:
I've been wanting to get a decent bike for quite a while but just haven't gotten around to it. What would you guys recommend for a bike that I could take around NYC but also would get me through the Catskills? Where should I begin looking? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: BTW, I'm 6'6" so I think that cuts down on possible bikes, right?


I know the gearheads in here will give you some sweet recs, but I've always done well buying used as long as it's a decent manufacturer [i.e. no Huffies].

Supposedly:
The Proper Bicycle Frame Size
Want to calculate the correct bicycle frame size for your body size? The frame size is measured from the seat lug at the top to the center of the bottom bracket. If you divide your height by three, or subtract 9 inches from your inseam length, you'll get your proper frame size.
http://bicycle.lifetips.com/cat/61362/bicycle-frames/

_________________
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

My deviantART photo gallery.

I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:25 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:38 pm
Posts: 472
Location: Tacoma, WA, USA!
dogbane wrote:
outoforder2day wrote:
I've been wanting to get a decent bike for quite a while but just haven't gotten around to it. What would you guys recommend for a bike that I could take around NYC but also would get me through the Catskills? Where should I begin looking? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: BTW, I'm 6'6" so I think that cuts down on possible bikes, right?


I know the gearheads in here will give you some sweet recs, but I've always done well buying used as long as it's a decent manufacturer [i.e. no Huffies].

Supposedly:
The Proper Bicycle Frame Size
Want to calculate the correct bicycle frame size for your body size? The frame size is measured from the seat lug at the top to the center of the bottom bracket. If you divide your height by three, or subtract 9 inches from your inseam length, you'll get your proper frame size.
http://bicycle.lifetips.com/cat/61362/bicycle-frames/


I second all that... Personally I enjoy the old school single speed style for simplicity (really enjoy cruisers too). People have been really happy with the commuter bikes from surly http://www.surlybikes.com/ or electras http://www.electrabike.com/ I hope to get one of thier Amsterdams some day! Check out the "bike forums" for a ton of great info! Cheers,

-Grant
P.S. By the way thanks andygates I like your bike too, I'd love to do a penny or tall bike!

_________________
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.


Mahatma Zombie
Chapter Charity Committee Chairman (Say that 10 times fast!)
ZSC: 005 The Pacific Northwest Chapter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:27 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 14625
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont
BTW, check out jamoni's (sp?) bike on this thread:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26303

_________________
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

My deviantART photo gallery.

I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group