Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Survival Tank
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:12 pm 

I was watching a piece from the wall street journal on tanks. Apparently tank dealers estimate that there are 1000 or so private tank owners in the US. That has got to be the ultimate bug out vehicle... You could sleep real well at night knowing that NOTHING can get to you. Well unless you meet one of the other tank owners...

Post subject: Re: Survival Tank
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:19 pm 

Well, that and the fact that you're not likely to get an Abrams M1, more likely a WWII model or a retired Soviet unit and they're extremely high maintenance vehicles. You also won't have any functional weapons on it but you'll still want a crew (because fixing a broken track on your own sucks moose balls). Oh, and they get about two gallons to the mile, so you better have a large fuel reserve somewhere.

There's always a certain percentage of any population with the conviction that society is a conspiracy to deny them their rights.
The right to be totally ignorant of any useful knowledge seems to be the basic one.
- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:21 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Well, the fuel mileage, poor visibility, and total lack of stealth as an option aside, rememebr than many of those tanks are old as shit, and could be defeated by small arms.

Wrecking armor was part of my job. If I can take out a T54 without a specialized anti-armor rocket, I can take out a Sherman or one of the other armorcars. There's also the mobility issue, and the lack of a supply train. First time you break a part (or throw a tread) you're done. Tanks are a logistical nightmare.

Sorry to be a debbie downer, but outside conventional combat a tank makes less sense than a technical, and for bug-out purposes (the large majority of which will require working within the established systems of law and order, not running through fields and shit) a Subaru Forester or a similar fuel-efficient vehicle with a little extra space makes more sense.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:23 pm 

Was kind of joke. I think you would probably get stopped when you start destroying the road... Plus, the neighbors might get concerned....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 pm 

KJ4VOV wrote:
Well, that and the fact that you're not likely to get an Abrams M1, more likely a WWII model or a retired Soviet unit and they're extremely high maintenance vehicles. You also won't have any functional weapons on it but you'll still want a crew (because fixing a broken track on your own sucks moose balls). Oh, and they get about two gallons to the mile, so you better have a large fuel reserve somewhere.

Ironically, one of the GM XM1 Abrams prototypes is privately owned. The same guy (Littlefield) had a very large armor collection, including an M60 (maybe an M48) and a lot of other tanks. There are a few other armor collectors in the US with massive collections of more modern tanks, but, as you said, most are WWII reenactors with a few tanks at most.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:00 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

You know what tankers call grunts? Crunchies.

You know what grunts call a lone tank without support? An oven. "Tiger in the Valley" demonstrates this quite nicely.

~sent via spacearmadillogram~

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:13 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

There was a movie i think it was called TANK . James Garner was in the military as something. The local small town popo had it in for his son. So James fires up his private tank a Sherman i think and went all apeshit on the small local popo.It was a funny movie from the mid to late 80's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:15 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Wouldn't an armored personal carrier be a better choice? You could sleep pretty safe in one of those.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:17 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

charadeur wrote:
Wouldn't an armored personal carrier be a better choice? You could sleep pretty safe in one of those.

All of the same eaknesses of a tank with none of the strengths. Slight gains in mobility at beast, but without support (trained infantry, a supply line, and ammo for the up-guns and a ell-trained crew) then you'd still just be a sitting duck.

~sent via spacearmadillogram~

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:21 pm 

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Sorry to be a debbie downer... less sense than a technical

I am going to be unable to sleep tonight. The thought of driving a technical through the ZPAW is the only thing that gets to sleep at night.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:25 pm 

Our EU friends have no trouble in picking up some used wheels - or tracks

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds.php?type=1

For the US citizen with money to burn
http://www.armyjeeps.net/armor1.htm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:21 pm 

charadeur wrote:

Here ya go... only $35k and it's all yours. :)

F432 Armored Personnel Carrier

There's always a certain percentage of any population with the conviction that society is a conspiracy to deny them their rights.
The right to be totally ignorant of any useful knowledge seems to be the basic one.
- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 pm 

KJ4VOV wrote:
charadeur wrote:

Here ya go... only $35k and it's all yours. :)

F432 Armored Personnel Carrier

With that camo netting on the side I could barely see it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:46 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Tracked vehicles rare very maintenance intensive.

If I wanted armor I would rather have one of these:

http://www.armormax.com/armored_mercedes_s550.html

BMW offers factory direct armor.
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/7 ... ntent.html

http://www.conquestvehicles.com/knight-xv.html

These cost about the same as a tank and at least can be driven every day.

Link to Bank Rate.com Bank Ratings Lookup - Use this to see if your bank is healthy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:46 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I think this is more practical than a tank...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/3634368319.html

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:30 am 

Another bug out vehicle option: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-Ford-E350-Van-Armored-Poptop-like-Sportsmobile-/261176712048?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3ccf585b70#ht_18778wt_1139

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:44 am 

feedthedog wrote:

Damn... It's on the wrong coast. :(

Hmmm... It's in California, but not for sale to residents of California?

- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:58 am 

A tank with fuel but no ammo is a very low capacity APC.
A tank with ammo but no fuel is a mediocre artillery piece.
A tank with no fuel and no ammo is a 50 ton portable radio.

In the PAW, with no .gov support, you are likely to have a 50 ton portable radio on hand very very quickly. For the money a used, so-so tank will get you, you could easily uparmor a couple of SUVs and fit them with gun ports or mounted guns of some kind. Then you'd be able to keep it running longer, go farther, see better, cross tougher terrain and be a hell of a lot more unobtrusive.

It would be fun as hell to run around in the PAW with a Dead Reckoning equivalent though. Maybe when I'm God-Emperor of Scumfucktopia I can use one as a visible deterrant against the hordes of Cannibal Raider Futa Catgirl Bikers or something. But in that case I wouldn't have to move it very far or very often, just use it as a show of force-sort of a Gunboat Diplomacy kind of model.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:52 am 

Quote:

Without fuel I don't think it is portable....

Still if it had a nice area inside, it would be a decent place to hole up for the night. No fire, but security, dry, safety.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:31 am 

ZombieKillingGeek wrote:
Was kind of joke. I think you would probably get stopped when you start destroying the road... Plus, the neighbors might get concerned....

There was a guy named John Dupont that lived a few miles from my home in the Philadelphia suburbs that had a Sherman tank. He was very rich since he was part heir of the Dupont chemical empire, buthe was also stone cold crazy. He would drive around his 400 acre estate, and drive around his neighborhood to visit neighbors. Eventually he became completely unhinged, and shot and killed David Shultz, who was an olympic wrestler who was training duPont at his estate.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

I believe it, there are plenty of rich people who can buy of tanks and street legal armored military vehicles.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:32 am 

ZombieKillingGeek wrote:
Quote:

Without fuel I don't think it is portable....

Still if it had a nice area inside, it would be a decent place to hole up for the night. No fire, but security, dry, safety.

Until the hostiles outside built a fire under it...

- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:43 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Unless you're the army of a rich nation, tanks are an idiot-test....sometimes they are an idiot-test even if you are the army of a rich nation.

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:33 pm 

Tanks are very impractical and totally not worth it. Doctorr pointed out the disadvantages very well. I build "assault vehicle" for paintball and airsoft. The same type of problems in the real world holds true for our make believe. Lack of visibility was the major killer on my nearly scale Bradley. Ran over a bunker. Luckily no one was in said bunker... Driving by episcopes is not as easy as you would think.

Trust me, your better off with a good 4x4 pick up truck. We can make up special rules to off set the fact that infantry support doesnt happen in paintball, but you dont get that luxury in real life. And then the cramped confines sucks for the few hours we are in them in play, I definitely wouldnt wont to be in them for any real duration.

Now I'm not saying I dont have planned a nice, heavily modified, Zombie Escape Vehicle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:44 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094716/

Required watching when talking about tank ops.