Which would be a better SHTF vehicle and Daily Driver?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

OldSchool

Which would be a better SHTF vehicle and Daily Driver?

Post by OldSchool » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:49 pm

A crown vic P71 or an ex police Tahoe RWD?

Dooms

Re: Which would be a better SHTF vehicle and Daily Driver?

Post by Dooms » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:12 pm

I would go with the Tahoe. Fuel economy will be about the same, but the Tahoe has more interior room and can tow a pretty large trailer if need be. The Tahoe is also the safer of the two for the occupants.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:13 pm

Even with just rear wheel drive the tahoe would with some appropriate tires(as large as would fit and work and as coarse a tread as possible) be much more terrain(or at least dirt road/tractor trail/logging road) capable, as well as being more flexible as far as cargo etc is concerned.

The crown vic is a tank(older ones are popular for demo derbys for a reason) but that doesn't help if it can't move due to terrain/road conditions.
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

Uncreate
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Uncreate » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:14 pm

Where do you live? what are your daily driving conditions? How many in your household? A lot of variables depend on you.

Personally Im always going to take a truck/suv over a car any day...

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:15 pm

What kind of area do you live in? Do you have a bug out location and if so what's the terrain like getting there? How much stuff do you need to carry? Towing a trailer?

OldSchool

Post by OldSchool » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:26 pm

I live in the Bay Area in California, the Tahoe I saw has 117k miles and the crown vic has 83k. The Tahoe is a 2005 and the crown vic is a 2008

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Its hard to beat the Crown Vic just for it's sheer tankness :crazy:

Chirpy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dead Snow

Post by Chirpy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Dooms wrote:I would go with the Tahoe. Fuel economy will be about the same, but the Tahoe has more interior room and can tow a pretty large trailer if need be. The Tahoe is also the safer of the two for the occupants.
Ummm, no. Crown Vic with a 4.6 will get low to mid 20's on the highway easy with the cruise set. Tahoe won't ever see that, except for maybe briefly on a long downhill run.
"And I prep not because I'm scared of someone coming to take from me, but rather because I fear not being able to render help to those who have helped me. "

phractal - 4/2/13

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:44 pm

Price the same?

My Tahoe was a 2002 (2WD) and had 180k on it before I traded it in for an Avalanche. I love the AV, but the Tahoe did everything I asked of it, including subbing for a truck when needed including offroading and being a makeshift RV.

I'd go with the 'hoe. 117k is mid life if you take care of it.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:13 am

I'm going to have to say the Tahoe as well, it's just much more versatile than a Crown Vic can ever be.
Veteran of Z-Con 2006-2010

WOLF308

Post by WOLF308 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:50 am

Another vote for the Tahoe.

Just be sure to mount a HUGE bumper on it :rofl:
Duct Tape is like The Force; it has a light side, a dark side and it holds The Universe together.

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:18 am

2wd tahoe.

put in selectable locker in the rear, lift kit with some aggressive tires, and it will be good to go!

another option would be a mid 2000's expedition. cheap and plentiful as well. My wife has a 2005 4wd Eddie Bauer Expedition, that we are getting ready to do a lift and 33" mud terrains.

"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

skruface
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything by Romero or Argento

Post by skruface » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:54 am

Tahoe.

You said "ex-police", so that means it will likely come with a bunch of heavy-duty mechanical upgrades, like bigger alternator to run electronics/lights, heavier suspension/sway bars, heavier rad hoses, oversized tranny cooler, skid plates, plus already rigged for rooftop lights, etc. Remember, that "police packages" generally come equipped as a pursuit vehicle, so they are designed to take a little more abuse than the civi versions.

With a rear locker and slightly larger aggressive tires, you'll have the ground clearance and traction to go 90% of the places a full-on 4X4 will go.

Also, this:

http://www.fleetsafety.com/tahoe-lights-and-equipment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:35 am

Chirpy wrote:
Dooms wrote:I would go with the Tahoe. Fuel economy will be about the same, but the Tahoe has more interior room and can tow a pretty large trailer if need be. The Tahoe is also the safer of the two for the occupants.
Ummm, no. Crown Vic with a 4.6 will get low to mid 20's on the highway easy with the cruise set. Tahoe won't ever see that, except for maybe briefly on a long downhill run.
The Crown Vic the OP mentions is the LEO model, and the motor isn't tuned the same as a standard 4.6l. For starters, it idles faster and has a higher compression ratio. The tranny is tuned differently as well. All that conspires to bring the MPG down. That aside, I'd probably go with with the Crown Vic.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:12 pm

skruface wrote:Tahoe.

You said "ex-police", so that means it will likely come with a bunch of heavy-duty mechanical upgrades, like bigger alternator to run electronics/lights, heavier suspension/sway bars, heavier rad hoses, oversized tranny cooler, skid plates, plus already rigged for rooftop lights, etc. Remember, that "police packages" generally come equipped as a pursuit vehicle, so they are designed to take a little more abuse than the civi versions.
Not all 'police vehicles' are much different than the normal civ version. I know there were a few years after Chevy stopped production of the Caprice(the competitor to the Crown Vic) when, due to low sales, the only thing the Intercepter Crown Vic had was a plastic back seat you could clean easily. Those are really uncomfortable, BTW.

Research what should be on this truck, then verify it. Maintenance will be different with some features.

Either way, unless the Tahoe is just trashed compared to the Crown Vic, I'd buy the Tahoe.

But I still want the Crown Vic, too. Are you sure you can't get both? :awesome:
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:16 pm

No kidding on the above. My dad has a crew cab F-150 "police" truck. It's a plain jane F-150 off a dealer lot with Sheriff's Department stickers a lightbar and some radios. It's even still governed to just under 100 MPH. If he takes time off and doesn't drive the truck for a few days all the extra electronic equipment in the truck kills the battery in about 3 days of not running.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:34 pm

jeepinbandtrider wrote:If he takes time off and doesn't drive the truck for a few days all the extra electronic equipment in the truck kills the battery in about 3 days of not running.
This is the rub for 'police' vehicles: most times, any good car off the lot will do, you have a mechanic that will bill the department later, anyway. Police procurement guys will select stuff for patrol duty based more on what the pricetag says, unless someone gives them overiding info/opinions. Crown Vics are nice because you have room to get out with a largeish duty belt, and they ride nice.

Look up if there was an actual 'police' variant that model year, and what mods were standard. Some of that may have been removed when it was reconditioned for sale after service, so double check what's actually on the vehicle. Just about any factory police variant should have a spotlight or two.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm siding on the crown vic for low miles, better mileage, and non Chevy-ness...

And for your viewing pleasure, go see the full episode of driving a crown Vic to Moab via the dirt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UErLjuFjVbA
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Chirpy wrote:
Umm, yes. Not sure about older Tahoes, but our PD just got new 2wd Pursuit Tahoes to replace their Crown Vics and they get about the same fuel economy.

In fact, the GMT900 Tahoe is actually rated for better fuel economy than the Crown Vic.

Tahoe PPV: 15 city/21 highway/17 combined
Crown Vic PI: 14 city/ 21 highway/17 combined

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:33 am

Ill take a crown Vic. Can tow a good amount with it and if you feel necessary lift it like tanner foust. On top gear and lock it and have same off road ability or better as the tahoe. My moms 05 town car gets 26-28 mpg on the interstate. She's pulled low twenties high teens pulling their pop up with it so they are pretty capable.

Return to “Transportation”