TPerkins' New And Improved FAK/Trauma Bag

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger

TPerkins' New And Improved FAK/Trauma Bag

Post by Tperkins » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:00 pm

So this kit is composed of most of the gear that used to be in my old Trauma/MCI bag, but after some field and training use with the bag, I decided to go a different route. If you want to look at my original setup, look here.

So orginally my big FAK/Trauma bag was based around having an all in one Trauma/MCI/GSW kit, in a backpack form to cover incidents like MCI's, disaster medical operations, SHTF scenarios. It was packed with the assumption that the small FAK/Trauma bag in the cab of my truck would be enough for anything but the worst. I have decicded to separate the aformentioned kit into two bags, both Conterra Responder III's. Ideally, I would of went with Responder IV's, but I got (2) of the Responder III's shipped for $160 off Ebay in like new condition. One of the two is the bag you will be seeing below, which will still be mostly a trauma bag, but with a little bit of basic first aid gear, along with some diagnostic type gear. The other bag will be mainly bandaging and hemmorage control, to be used for a major MCI or disaster operations, as a supplement to the main trauma bag. Most minor FAK needs will be handled by my truck bag, with this riding strapped down and secured in the bed, and the 2nd MCI bag will reside in my place of residence.

I also want to note that this gear is based around my skill set of NREMT-B, with an additional EMT-W certification. Two peices of gear in this kit, the NARP Decompression needles, are outside my SOP and I am aware of that. I routineley work with paramedics and above, as well as friends of mine happening to be paramedics, so they are included in the chance that a EMT-P would be able to use them. I would not, unless in a total SHTF scenario use these.

So, now on to the fun part, pictures. I do need to mention this kit is still being changed around slightly, but this is the loadout as it currently sits.

Bag Itself. Can be carried backpack style, with shoulder strap (tucked away), or with carry handle.
End Pocket
End Pocket Contents
-Adult Reusable BP Cuff
-Littman Classic II Stethoscope
-Sp02 Monitor
-RITR notebook with pen and pelican light
-RITR Vital Stats notebook (love these)
-Pocket Drug Guide
-Shears
-Hemostats (good for embedded objects like big thorns, fishhooks, ect)
-NARP ARS Needle Decompression Kits
-Benchmade Rescue Hook
-Irrigation Syringe
-Hand Sanitizer
-Disinfectant Spray
-Sharpies
-Gloves (should be about 10 pairs, I need to get non-black ones because the black ones are shitty for blood sweeps)

Bag Opened Up (has a handle so both zippers pull open at the same time in a clamshell fashion)
Yellow Bag
-Bayer Chewable Asprin
-1" athletic tape roll
-(2) 2" Durapore tape rolls
-(10) 2x2 gauze pads
Red Bag
-(2) CAT Tournquets (one newer model, one older)

Close-Up of Inside
Lower (in picture) Pocket Contents
-(5) Rolls of Kerlix
-(4) Rolls of Conform stretch gauze
-(2) NARP 6" Pressure Dressing

Side Slot Pocket
Slot Pocket Contents
-(2) 36" SAM Splints
-(4) SAM Finger Splints

Back Slot Pocket
Back Slot Pocket Contents
-(~25) 4x4 Gauze Pads
-(2) Compressed Gauze Rolls

Top Main Pocket Contents
-(4) Packet of Rehydration Solution (likley being removed or at least moved to other bag)
-(2) 4" OLAES bandages
-(1) 25g QuikClot
-(1) 50g QuikClot
-Halo Chest Seals (2 in package)
-(2) 4x4 Hemcon
-(1) H&H Big Cinch
-(3) NPA's
-(3) Cold Packs

Left Slot Pocket & Contents
-(3) Heetsheets survival blanket (heavy duty mylar one)
-(2) Cheapo aluminum blankets

Top Pocket Contents
-1 Liter Plain Pedialyte (best rehydration solution/drink)
-(~50) Bandaid Tough Strips (From experience, these stay on the longest and best, but certainly leave residue when taken off, but small downside when you want them to stay on)
-Ricola Cough Drops
-Adjustable C-Collar

I have a few things that I plan on adding/doing, funds pending since I had to do some BOV work/upgrades.
-OPA's
-More NPA's
-couple disposable BVM's
-Suction device
-More meds, mostly ibruprofen
-Remove Pedialyte and put in other bag or in surplus/storage tote (was mostly in there for a couple field exercise days)
-Add small organization pouch for antiseptic towelettes, bandages, bagged meds, tweezers, ect
-Possibly remove some kerlix (my truck FAK has 2/3 rolls already)
-More athletic tape
-Add headlamp

Just feel free to say whatever you'd like, criticism, praise, ectera. I'd like this to be a working discussion thread.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

Raptor 6
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: TPerkins' New And Improved FAK/Trauma Bag

Post by Raptor 6 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:53 pm

I just reworked my bag and one of the things I did different was pack more supplies together that I might need to use together. The last thing I need when im trying to treat a severe injury under stress is to have to dig out 3 things from 3 different pockets For example I have an izzy bandage, a pack of QC combat gauze, and a roll of Kerlix all stored together, SAM splints ice packs and rolls of coflex go together, decompression needles are stored with chest seals and airways, you get the idea. Not all of my pack is arranged like that just some of the stuff meant to treat more severe injuries or if they just make sense. If someone has to treat you with your bag this will make it easier for them to find stuff also.

See how much time it will take you to dig those TQs out of that pocket

Maybe get a small pouch to hang on the outside to put some gloves in, if my bag is coming out of the truck to treat something gloves are on before it comes out, keeps me from having to open my bag to get gloves and I might forget if I have an adrenaline dump when I get up there

Maybe attach your strap cutter to the should strap on the bag, my thought is that if I have to cut your seatbelt and drag you out of your car its probably on fire and time is an issue

I put my instant ice packs in a tuperware container to keep them from getting crushed in my bag

Get some coflex to use with your SAM splints

More tape, you can never have enough tape :crazy:
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer
I won ZCON 2012
Whiskey Medic

Tperkins

Re: TPerkins' New And Improved FAK/Trauma Bag

Post by Tperkins » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:20 pm

Raptor 6 wrote:I just reworked my bag and one of the things I did different was pack more supplies together that I might need to use together. The last thing I need when im trying to treat a severe injury under stress is to have to dig out 3 things from 3 different pockets For example I have an izzy bandage, a pack of QC combat gauze, and a roll of Kerlix all stored together, SAM splints ice packs and rolls of coflex go together, decompression needles are stored with chest seals and airways, you get the idea. Not all of my pack is arranged like that just some of the stuff meant to treat more severe injuries or if they just make sense. If someone has to treat you with your bag this will make it easier for them to find stuff also.

See how much time it will take you to dig those TQs out of that pocket
About 7 seconds to grab one

Maybe get a small pouch to hang on the outside to put some gloves in, if my bag is coming out of the truck to treat something gloves are on before it comes out, keeps me from having to open my bag to get gloves and I might forget if I have an adrenaline dump when I get up there
I keep a few pairs in the overhead console sunglasses thing, and I'm so used to them there I have yet to forget to grab a pair, the extras in the bag are mostly for multiple Pt's.

Maybe attach your strap cutter to the should strap on the bag, my thought is that if I have to cut your seatbelt and drag you out of your car its probably on fire and time is an issue
My EDC is a Benchmade Triage w/ strap cutter, the additonal one is just a little larger and better suited for boots, shoes, and similar heavy fabrics

I put my instant ice packs in a tuperware container to keep them from getting crushed in my bag
I used to have a small otterbox case, I have another on order, all 3 fit nicely into the case

Get some coflex to use with your SAM splints
I have a couple rolls, but just removed them as I have a few ACE bandages that should be arriving tomorrow, which in my experience work much better.

More tape, you can never have enough tape :crazy:
Haha, I know I need more tape.
Also, I forgot to mention, one thing I'm going to add is one or two throwable trauma pouches, like I had on my last bag. Those are going to lay right on top of the other gear, so if needed I can open the bag and just grab one or two of them. Plans are for them to include an H&H compressed gauze, celox gauze (when I get around to ordering it), 6" trauma dressing, and a pair of gloves.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

Return to “First Aid”