abelru wrote:ironsheik7 wrote:Liff wrote:First off, I rate this thread as good. Among people who deal with antibacterials or antibiotics as part of their normal job there is consensus that there is not a "The One" antibiotic, and no one should be looking for something like that. Anytime a good question is asked and there is that much consensus, it clearly represents the current thought in the state of whatever topic is being discussed.
There are good romper stomper combinations that fail in a different infection, and the better point is that the reverse is also true. And we have not even started to discuss why an E Coli infection of the prostate needs cipro for 28 days while the same E Coli bacteria causing a UTI needs therapy for 3 days. (Guidelines vary.) Or how different areas in this country have different rates of antibacterial resistance. What works well in Texas may be a poor choice in North Dakota.
Lots and lots goes into this topic. A little knowledge can be (not "is", but "can be") a dangerous thing.
Either way, stock up of fish antibiotics. (Just in case: blue text means sarcasm on this board.)
I can answer your question as I have battled with bladder infections, prostate infections for 5 years now and have also studied some urology and microbiology..
(((And we have not even started to discuss why an E Coli infection of the prostate needs cipro for 28 days while the same E Coli bacteria causing a UTI needs therapy for 3 days. ))))
Number 1 when a person first gets an infection the bacteria is plankton bacteria which is free floating micro organisms. In the planktonic state bacteria are killed very easily. But if the infection survives an antibiotic because the antibiotic was not taken long enough and only killed a few of the bacteria and left a remaining amount. The plankton then have 2 choices either die the next go around of antibiotics or come together, latch down on a surface, and form a gelatin like substance called biofilm which makes the bacteria up to 1,000 x resistant to antibiotics. This is what happens when people have chronic infections that antibiotics aren't putting a dent in. And it takes such a huge huge concentration of antibiotics to knock out a biofilm , that many people are stuck to live a chronic infection out the rest of their life. This is very common in our current society.
But to answer the above question, a UTI is very basic to cure because a big concentration of antibiotics can reach the bladder very easily. depending on the antibiotic a 500 milligram pill could mean anywhere from 1,000 -5,000 micrograms per pill, also keep in mind that it takes 1,000 micrograms to equal one milligram. so you would basically be getting 1 - 5 milligrams of that 500 mg cephalexin pill or that 500 mg ciprofloxacin pill into that bladder infection.
Prostate is very different, if you get a prostate infection it can be almost impossible to cure because of the biofilm factor, and also because of the simple fact the concentration of antibiotics into the prostate is minimal. Norfloxacin concentration into the prostate for two 400 milligram pills is 1 microgram and this is considered one of the best agents for prostatitis. link below
Many times men will come into urologists with prostate infections. high amounts of pus cells located in urine, urine cultured for bacteria, bacteria found, antibiotic sensitivity conducted for bacteria. correct antibiotic prescribed. one example a guy was given ofloxacin for ecoli prostatitis. It knocks bacteria infection out of urine, but it doesn't kill the infection in the prostate even though it was taken for 90 days. Then you are screwed. Because a urologist will only let you take so many antibiotics till he tells you you are taking to many antibiotics and you will just have to find a away to live with this infection sir.
I have seen men who have failed 90 - 120 days of levaquin for prostatitis. And who end up at a urologist in California named Dr Bahn. Who can take these same men who have prostatitis who have failed 3 - 4 months of levaquin and do a direct injection of levaquin into the prostate gland and cure men of the disease. which goes back to my earlier statement, BIOFILM. Biofilm has caused a real problem keeping antibiotics from killing the bacteria. Many people die every year from biofilm infections. Such as bacteria growing on a heart valve, and not being able to get a high enough antibiotic concentration into the heart valve to kill the bacteria.
The main problem is general practitioners (family doctors) who hand antibiotics out like it is candy for a headache or stopped up nose. Another problem is when someone has a real infection they under treat it by only giving the patient 10 days of antibiotics. And if the antibiotic is working and you have a very bad infection meaning a lot of planktonic bacteria and 10 day course of antibiotic pills isn't enough to kill it and maybe you actually needed 20 days of the antibiotic pill instead. But he prescribes you 10 days of that pill and it kills some of the planktonic bacteria guess what happens, when the 10 days of antibiotics is gone ? Bacteria comes together latches down on a surface forms the biofilm and becomes 1,000 times resistant to antibiotics good luck killing it then.
In my opinion, if you have an infection it is better to over treat it than under treat it. because if that bacteria manages to survive, if just one of those e coli bacteria or pseudomonas bacteria or enterococci bacteria survive, your body could be in for a world or extreme trouble. I remember reading a story about a girl who was at a museum and cut her hand on a fish tank and died. Because doctors couldn't stop the infection, it spread to her blood and the antibiotics could not kill it. Not only that, but, gonorrhea is one of the weakest bacteria of all time. usually a gonorrhea infection can be killed with a just a few days of doxcycline or ciprofloxacin can kill.... But now there is a super strain of gonorrhea that can not be killed by any antibiotic and people are having to live with gonorrhea there entire life. And if that super gonorrhea manages to get into an infected persons kidneys then they are dead, because antibiotics can't kill it.
1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Times, No...
Whatever it is that is being stated, asked, or otherwise asserted.
The answer is no.
BTW, go Kings!
Your reply is no, no to what ? everything I have stated is a medical fact and I can back it all up with medical and scientific data, and where is your evidence friend? truth is you have no evidence at all. I'm not one of those people who walk around blowing smoke up peoples @ss. If i state it, you can bet your @ss it is 100% true.