Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:19 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

At present I'm using Optrex eyewash on a daily basis. I would like to make my own for personal use & also to add to my preps.

After some research I've found lots of different eyewash recipes online. However I'd greatly value any advice from fellow ZS members.

I know that tap water isn't ideal and that distilled/ purified water is preferable. Also that the solution should be approximately the same ph as tears. I could make a green tea infusion and use this, but ideally I'd like to be able to store the eyewash solution for at least a fortnight.

Any help at all would be great, thanks.

airballrad wrote:
All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D

wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:11 pm 

Do you mean something medicated, or more along the lines of a dilute saline?

Safety isn't a lever on a gun, a guard on a knife or any other mechanical device. Safety is a behavior.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:16 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

No just a dilute saline for me to rinse my eyes after working with straw etc. Though soothing properties too would be beneficial. :)

I had thought about mixing distilled water with witch hazel and a little salt ?

Thanks ZG

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:44 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Says here nine grams of salt per liter. Don't take risks with your eyes; they're kind of useful, and you'd miss them.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_concentration_of_salt_is_used_in_an_isotonic_solution

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:49 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I don't want to blind myself, just find a safe and effective recipe/formula that I can make.

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:52 pm 

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/boric-acid-eye-wash.html

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:55 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

grennels wrote:
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/boric-acid-eye-wash.html

Thanks, that looks a viable option.

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:23 pm 

Making your own eye wash is very dangerous. A lot of people lost sight from making home made saline years ago for their contacts. It is hard to ensure sterility especialy if you try to store it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:15 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Fair enough Dallas. The purpose of my OP was to get advice.
I had already done some online research, but didn't know how well the eyewash formulas that I found worked.
I'm not going to recklessly try anything in my eyes. I'm just curious whether anyone else here had successfully made and used their own eyewash solution. :)

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:43 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I have actually used the boric acid trick before, for cats. We had some kittens that developed infected eyes and the only other option was put them down. The boric acid did help clear them up, but my "formula" was pure guess-work. I'll have to make a copy of the info in grennels link, for my "no other options" list.

Personally, I'd be afraid to put anything homemade into my own eyes though unless it was SHTF, only option. Having the info for SHTF is never a bad thing though. I gather info on herbal replacements for my meds and look for good places to plant them, not to use now, but to use if someday Big Pharma is only a bad memory.

If you are going to try this, use distilled water, sunlight/steri-pens, and anything else available to get it pure and sterile. If I ever do get a chance to see you, it'd be nice if you could see me back.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:21 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

cv66er wrote:
If you are going to try this, use distilled water, sunlight/steri-pens, and anything else available to get it pure and sterile. If I ever do get a chance to see you, it'd be nice if you could see me back.

Fair enough :D
Distilled water would be the liquid used, it's simply what else to add?
I have a uv sterilising cabinet for the bottle.
I've trained in aromatherapy so tinkering with potions isn't something new.

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:54 pm 

wee drop o' bush wrote:
cv66er wrote:

Lab grade NACL would be a good idea...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:59 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Jorian wrote:
wee drop o' bush wrote:
cv66er wrote:

Lab grade NACL would be a good idea...

Thanks for the link, I'll look into that :D

My purpose in the OP was to ask if any ZS members had made their own eye wash solution. Then to give me some idea of the formula they used.

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:49 pm 

dallas wrote:
Making your own eye wash is very dangerous. A lot of people lost sight from making home made saline years ago for their contacts. It is hard to ensure sterility especialy if you try to store it.

Ever go swimming and open your eyes underwater?

Go blind?

Pretty much any drinkable boiled water would do, I guess. YMMV.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:48 pm 

Ever go swimming and open your eyes underwater?

Go blind?

No, but water that has a ph that is differnet from a human tear(7.6 approx) will cause irratation.And if the ph is way off it can hurt like hell.

I get crap in my eyes all the time from work. Best solution I have found is water with a small amount of Johnson baby shampoo mixed in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:07 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Thanks for that Poolguy :D

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:08 pm 

No problem

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:34 pm 

"Homemade saline (salt water) solutions have been linked to serious corneal infections and should not be used"
http://www.eyecareamerica.org/eyecare/t ... /index.cfm

"Do not expose your contact lenses to any water: tap, bottled, distilled, lake or ocean water. Never use non-sterile water (distilled water, tap water or any homemade saline solution). Tap and distilled water have been associated with Acanthamoeba keratitis, a corneal infection that is resistant to treatment and cure.
Remove your contact lenses before swimming. There is a risk of eye infection from bacteria in swimming pool water, hot tubs, lakes and the ocean"
http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/produ ... 062589.htm

This was for contact lens wearers, but is also true for anyone. All it takes is a small scratch on the cornea to start an infection. The abrasion can even be too small to notice. Are your eyes worth a few bucks?

Last edited by dallas on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:39 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Fair enough Dallas. I think it may be a bad idea to do this. Honest advice for and against, is what I wanted from my OP :)

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:57 pm 

The main question is why you feel the need to use an eyewash in the first place. That determines what you're going to subsequently put in the eye.

If I've read your posts right, you want an eyewash to remove particulate material after working with hay.

For that, clean running water from the tap will do the job fine. Use either a clean container or clean hands to cup the water, allowing it to overflow continuously from the vessel, then immerse your eye and blink a few times under the water. This shouldn't be necessary most of the time, because your eyes are generally perfectly capable of cleaning themselves (via tears/blinking, etc). If you get something stuck in there, use the method I just described.

Another option could be to have someone run a stream of sterile saline into your eye from above (aiming at the skin on the inner corner and allowing it to run across the surface of your blinking eye while you are in a reclined position). You can buy saline for this purpose very cheaply from any pharmacy.

If you just get red/irritated eyes after dealing with hay, and it's not debris actually caught in there, then you are probably suffering from a hypersensitivity reaction (i.e. allergies). The common allergic condition "hay fever" is named so because hay is the epitome of allergens.

For that you could buy some antihistamine eyedrops from a pharmacy (seek advice re: their use, though, because there are important contraindications and you must consume the bottle within a certain timeframe of opening). You could also try oral antihistamine tablets if you suffer from allergies commonly or if it interferes significantly with your life. For that you should see a doctor. Most of the drugs used for that purpose are over-the-counter, but you don't want to take a chronic medication if you can avoid it, and to assess that, you need the doctor.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:37 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Thanks for the response...I've always thought that tap water irritated your eyes, so I've not tried it.
I am asthmatic & hay/straw dust, actually dust in general makes my eyes stream and swell up. I honestly couldn't tolerate not rinsing the crud out of them.
Antihistamine eyedrops aren't something I've considered, I'll look into that option. I'm using liquid tears at the minute to keep my eyes from dying out. They really help :)

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:23 am 

You are correct about tap water. It should only be used in emergencies to irrigate the eyes. It is no good for routine use.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:45 pm 

dallas wrote:
You are correct about tap water. It should only be used in emergencies to irrigate the eyes. It is no good for routine use.

I get an eyeful of tap water every time I shower, though. Am I (seriously) putting my eyes at risk?

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:57 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

squinty wrote:
dallas wrote:

I get an eyeful of tap water every time I shower, though. Am I (seriously) putting my eyes at risk?

Good question :)
I'm not sure. I'd imagine tap water is not as much an irritant if you don't actually rinse out your eyes with it. Also that it depends on the qualities of the tap water.

airballrad wrote: