Critique my trunk bag- pic intense-

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

gicts

Critique my trunk bag- pic intense-

Post by gicts » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:27 pm

I'm more of a visual person. This kit normally stays in my trunk. I work part time for the Red Cross and occasionally I take it with me. I've got more items on the way including varying splints and more triangular bandages as well as meds. I could benefit from a reflective vest and multi-tool.
Pack weighs out at 15 lbs. It is in no way a 'grab and go' BOB bag, or even a trauma bag. A very convenient set up for normal emergencies when I have access to my trunk. Also for inconveniences experienced driving on a routine basis (upset stomach, headache.... essentially doubles as a man purse).

Click, click, and click again to see an image in detail

contents of right exterior pockets
contents of left exterior pockets
bottom half
top half
top half upper contents
interior top half contents
tan bag contents
tan bag contents
tan bag contents
tan bag contents
lower half contents
black roll up contents
black roll up contents
exterior top pouch
exterior top contents
majority of layout
paramedic and firearm aficionado

My first aid bag
My zombie arsenal
BOB in creation

Does the Geneva Convention cease in a PAW?

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Re: Critique my trunk bag- pic intense-

Post by JIM » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:22 pm

Looks like a pretty good FAK. How do you like the Statpack?

I'd add some more gauze rolls (kerlix/primed) and replace the hydrogen-peroxide with betadine. Hp causes too much tissue damage.

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

gicts

Post by gicts » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:52 pm

JIM wrote:Looks like a pretty good FAK. How do you like the Statpack?

I'd add some more gauze rolls (kerlix/primed) and replace the hydrogen-peroxide with betadine. Hp causes too much tissue damage.

Good points. I have a pack of a dozen co-flex and kerlix in the mail. Replacing the HP would be a good idea, and a good space saver. The StatPack I love. It was actually a Christmas gift. I'm not sure I would shell out that amount of money, but it certainly will fit anything you want to fit in it and it is tough. Great layout as well.

My first aid bag
My zombie arsenal
BOB in creation

oleaver
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later

Post by oleaver » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks for posting the pics. I have been looking at StatPacks for a while now and it's good to finally see and hear from a real life user of the bags. You may have sold me on a bag. Thanks.

Doc L

gicts

Post by gicts » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:39 pm

oleaver wrote:Thanks for posting the pics. I have been looking at StatPacks for a while now and it's good to finally see and hear from a real life user of the bags. You may have sold me on a bag. Thanks.

Doc L
The pics are 2000x1500 pixels so if you keep clicking you can def see the detail and quality. Better than any shoulder bag that I have used, that is for sure.

My first aid bag
My zombie arsenal
BOB in creation

Markus

Post by Markus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:47 pm

If you are interested in StatPacks - I have bought the Load´n´go Backpack two weeks ago - so I can post some pictures, too.

Ruderpinne
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them.

Post by Ruderpinne » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Are you a paramedic yet? I am going to school for it as well.

I was wondering how much that bag put you back?

Im not getting a bag yet maybe in another 6 months but was just curious thanks!!
Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Thomas A. Edison
Redeker_Plan wrote:I fucking hate clowns. Seriously. Serious hate. Serious fucking hate.

If that fucker was hiding in a bush and jumped out at me....

I seriously fucking hate clowns.

gicts

Post by gicts » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:46 am

Ruderpinne wrote:Are you a paramedic yet? I am going to school for it as well.

I was wondering how much that bag put you back?

Im not getting a bag yet maybe in another 6 months but was just curious thanks!!
I've finished the class and most of my clinicals. I was expecting to be done by now, but people dragging their feet with contracts have really set me back. Let me know if you need any help with the class.

As for the bag, the majority of it was a gift, I have invested about $100 of supplies. My guess is new it might go for $300 give or take for everything. I've switched at the moment to another bag and going to hopefully one day turn this bag into purely which I believe the makers intended it to be for.

My first aid bag
My zombie arsenal
BOB in creation

Ruderpinne

Post by Ruderpinne » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:42 am

Thats awesome bro!

Id love to have a grab bag like that (just to throw in the car) once Im done with my EMT class mind if I ask your advice on what to throw in my bag if I have any questions?

Thats not at 300.00
Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Thomas A. Edison
Redeker_Plan wrote:I fucking hate clowns. Seriously. Serious hate. Serious fucking hate.

gicts

Post by gicts » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:25 am

Ruderpinne wrote:Thats awesome bro!

Id love to have a grab bag like that (just to throw in the car) once Im done with my EMT class mind if I ask your advice on what to throw in my bag if I have any questions?

Thats not at 300.00
Sure I'd be glad to try and answer any questions.
The bag new is $130.
Conservatively add:
glucometer $20
stethoscope $30
Maglight $10
2 blood pressure cuffs $30
saline and peroxide
scissors $5
burn sheet $5
laceration tray $5
aleve, aspirin, ammonia, nasal decongestant, sting and bite swabs, pepto bismal, tums $20
sutures
hemostats, magills $10
half dozen ACE wraps, coflex $15
pocket face mask $5
glucose $5
oral and nasal airways $20
finger splints $10
2 emergency blankets
tape, triangle bandages
4x4 and other pads
misc

adds up to $320 just adding the numbers that I have given. That is roughly everything you would spend if bought new and given everything that isn't priced for free. Of course it wouldn't match new dollar for dollar on ebay, but I don't think I am that far off. There is only one way to find out though and I'm not going to do it :wink:
Last edited by gicts on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

My first aid bag
My zombie arsenal
BOB in creation

Ruderpinne

Post by Ruderpinne » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:27 am

VERY VERY nice bro!!!

The one thing I dont see in their are IV's?

How come?

Im actually thinking of starting to put this together!!!

Looks like about everything I would need lol
Thomas A. Edison

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:45 am

Have you given any consideration to whether your liquids (h2o2, betadine, whatever) are going to be usable in the winter months? I know that anything around here is going to likely be a solid mass of ice for at least 3 months a year. It's led me to pull my liquid antiseptics out and replace with petroleum-based ointments in the winter months.

(thinking about this because just this morning I went to grab a bottle of saline out of my glove box to clean a contact in the parking lot at work, after a half-hour commute, and realized it was frozen solid.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

gicts

Post by gicts » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:50 am

Ruderpinne wrote:VERY VERY nice bro!!!

The one thing I dont see in their are IV's?

How come?

Im actually thinking of starting to put this together!!!

Looks like about everything I would need lol
I do have a few IV's in there somewhere, but honestly I would never start one on someone outside of my family unless I am under a doctor's medical license, and in the real world the only thing I would give without a monitor would be fluids. IV's and fluids would be great in a trauma based scenario, which certainly would be plausible in a PAW, unfortunately you would end up doing little in a serious situation because of the probability of the lack of obtaining a higher level of care to stop the bleed. :wink: Fluids would be very practical I guess in dehydration and minor blood loss, but a cup of water would work just as well :lol:

I will probably add a few bags of saline to the kit when I get around to making it purely ALS though because it could be used for countless applications like eye flushes, IV, cleaning wounds, etc

I should get pics up of my new bag, but it isn't with me at the moment.
Last edited by gicts on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

My first aid bag
My zombie arsenal
BOB in creation

gicts

Post by gicts » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:52 am

crypto wrote:Have you given any consideration to whether your liquids (h2o2, betadine, whatever) are going to be usable in the winter months? I know that anything around here is going to likely be a solid mass of ice for at least 3 months a year. It's led me to pull my liquid antiseptics out and replace with petroleum-based ointments in the winter months.

(thinking about this because just this morning I went to grab a bottle of saline out of my glove box to clean a contact in the parking lot at work, after a half-hour commute, and realized it was frozen solid.
:lol: Good point. I found that out last year when my saline froze and when it defrosted the condensation soaked into some of the items. Ever since I have moved the liquids out of the bag and keep them in another bag I take in and out of the car with me. Good catch!

My first aid bag
My zombie arsenal
BOB in creation

Ruderpinne

Post by Ruderpinne » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 am

nice thanks for the info!!
Thomas A. Edison

gicts

Post by gicts » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Here is my updated BLS kit. I think it is all that may be needed in a PAW... but that is for another discussion :lol: The bag itself I have found it to be very convenient, especially for the price ($20 from Galls). I'm not taking out everything, this sucker is stuffed!

My first aid bag
My zombie arsenal
BOB in creation

Ruderpinne

Post by Ruderpinne » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:38 pm

Very nice this makes me eager to become a EMT so I can get a bag with all that and know what to do with it haha!
Thomas A. Edison

medicineman628

Post by medicineman628 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:24 pm

can you post a link for this bag your using, i went to their website but couldnt find this bag. looks like itd make a good aidbag.

abelru

Post by abelru » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Great looking bag.
Only things I'd add is a larger bottle of betadine. It looks like you have some ampules of either betadine or benzoin. But either way I think betadine is great stuff, has many uses.
Also, (perhaps I didn't look hard enough!) I didn't see any meds for local anesthesia. I would certainly make sure that I had at least a 10 mL vial on hand if you plan on sewing anyone up.
Orbes volantes exstare!!!

AnotherVersion

Post by AnotherVersion » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:14 am

Looks good. I always have a soft spot for Stat Packs... although every one I've used was exploding with ACLS drugs.

A few suggestions... neosporin or it's analogues go a long way. Also looks like you're limiting your trauma stuff. You'd be surprised how often and fast you'll go through a box of regular bandaids before you'll ever crack open a roll of kerlex.

What's the lime green thing next to your pocketmask in the "lower half contents" picture?

And are those multiple sizes of tongue depressors in your black roll up bag? :?
Nationally Registered Paramedic, Fire Lieutenant

Primum Non Nocere
Omnes ad Unum
shrapnel wrote:The rest of you who aren't contributing anything, shut the fuck up and post in the chat thread if your life is really that lacking in fuckwittery.

gicts

Post by gicts » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:30 pm

medicineman628 wrote:can you post a link for this bag your using, i went to their website but couldnt find this bag. looks like itd make a good aidbag.
Whoa. Thanks for the close to 1 year bump. Which one? The statpacks or dynamed?

Things have changed a lot since my last post but it is still far from done. I'll try to get a new pic up in a bit.

EDIT
Here are a few quick pics

Same thing you've seen before. BLS on left and ALS on right

Plenty of 4x4's, keflex, pocket mask, triangular bandages, washing stuff, BP cuffs and stethoscope, splints etc etc

glucometer, NPA, OPA, laryngoscope, ET tubes, magill forceps, trauma bandages, IV supplies w saline and pressure bag, basic drugs

I'm light with the descriptions, I'm not hitting every bit of equipment. Things that I do still want to squeeze in include a BVM (really a necessity with my airway equipment), a c-collar, and a few other things
Last edited by gicts on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My first aid bag
My zombie arsenal
BOB in creation

stimpy321972
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead

Post by stimpy321972 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:46 pm

1.You have NPA's and OPA's, no BVM ?? or are you planning to mask breath for an intederminate amount of time.

2. You have sutures, hemo's and pickups, any surgical scissors ? sterile drapes ? Chloraprep or something to use as a good skin cleanser ? Do you know how to suture ? What about vessel sutures ?

3. like some others said, kerlix is king.

Ortherwise I like the setup and the bag, wish I would have had something like that in my more squirrley days !!
MaxRite wrote:
BigBossMan wrote: My AR is a precision weapon.
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)
AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

gicts

Post by gicts » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:54 pm

AnotherVersion wrote:Looks good. I always have a soft spot for Stat Packs... although every one I've used was exploding with ACLS drugs.

A few suggestions... neosporin or it's analogues go a long way. Also looks like you're limiting your trauma stuff. You'd be surprised how often and fast you'll go through a box of regular bandaids before you'll ever crack open a roll of kerlex.

What's the lime green thing next to your pocketmask in the "lower half contents" picture?

And are those multiple sizes of tongue depressors in your black roll up bag? :?
LOL I think that pic was from a year and a half ago. I believe your talking about the finger splints.

I agree with the neosporin. I ditched it and have added much more trauma items. I am a fan of my statpacks bag, but I hardly use it as my employers provide stocked jump bags.

My first aid bag
My zombie arsenal
BOB in creation

gicts

Post by gicts » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:59 pm

stimpy321972 wrote:1.You have NPA's and OPA's, no BVM ?? or are you planning to mask breath for an intederminate amount of time.

2. You have sutures, hemo's and pickups, any surgical scissors ? sterile drapes ? Chloraprep or something to use as a good skin cleanser ? Do you know how to suture ? What about vessel sutures ?

3. like some others said, kerlix is king.

Otherwise I like the setup and the bag, wish I would have had something like that in my more squirrley days !!
lol check out my latest post, I address the BVM. You're addressing a post from many moons ago. I'm not sure how to suture vessels, but I do have the knowledge and experience to suture wounds.

These items I plan to use only in a SHTF scenario where family or loved ones are involved, either because I'm a pansy and don't want to deal with liability issues, or I am just cruel and don't really want to help others. I haven't decided which side of the fence I am on.

My first aid bag
My zombie arsenal
BOB in creation

Return to “First Aid”