Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:47 am 

One thing I did with my CLS bag to give me more room was to buy two Raine latex glove pouches. I threaded these through the shoulder straps. Each pouch will hold four pair of latex or nitrile gloves. Two pouches give me eight pair of gloves.

Raine makes all sorts of nylon gear. Before I retired from the National Guard, I bought a lot of those glove pouches. My bigger trauma bag has the pouches mounted on the shoulder straps.

By the way, good kit. Thanks for posting the pics.
Doc Sven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:23 am 

Having paramedics in my close family, I have just checked for their advice, and they do suggest that large space blankets are vital in their job when used properly, for the weight and space (and price) they take up they are essential in most FAKS for the amount of times that you would need one (which in trauma/stress cases is very often). In this case, I will tend to trust those that know and deal with medical situations daily on this one...

The body loses heat by convection, conduction, radiation, evaporation and/or respiration, so excessive heat loss will causes hypothermia (dont forget hyperthermia here too), so trapping what little heat the body may have can be essential in many situations, and for the price of them (a couple of dollars) with them taking up hardly any space and weighing nothing - for larger kits they are a life saver and a multi function piece of kit too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:12 pm 

Please note that I have added: Excedrine, moleskin, and a small surgical kit including scissors, scalpal, forceps, needle, and probe. My IFAK is getting so large, it barrrely fits inside my bag. It may be time to upsize a little.

-Erik

BOAT
Water Storage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:59 pm 

That looks really good man. I like the bag not as big and bulky as I thought it might be. Would love to see some pics of the "PAW closet".
I have been setting up a room to house all my gear, will try to get some pics in the new year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:53 pm 

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... paw+closet

There are pics of the PAW Closet. :)

-Erik

BOAT
Water Storage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:03 pm 

Erik wrote:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19251&highlight=paw+closet

There are pics of the PAW Closet. :)

-Erik

Very Nice Work :!:

Thankyou.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:29 am 

Ididnt see any and many will hate the suggestion but feminine napkins make great wound dressings for the money.By the way Im quite jealous of your kit overall.I dont have a cpr mask in mine mainly because Ive never used one.However with all the body fluid passed nastyness about one may be in the works for the near future

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:47 pm 

dragon rouge wrote:
Ididnt see any and many will hate the suggestion but feminine napkins make great wound dressings for the money.

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but Erik keeps it allive in his signature and I'm new so I've been cruising old discussions for a week now.

2 comments here.

1. To Dragon Rouge. I get this a lot when teaching first aid classes or discussing IFAKs, even in the military. Sure, feminine napkins soak up blood for a cheap price, but look at Erik's kit, it's not cheap. Why substitute a stronger "blood stopper" that was intended for wounds with a "cheap substitute". Sure, it works, but keep those in the bathroom next to the plunger and use only if you don't have real medical supplies.

2. To Erik. Your IFAK rocks, especially the contents. The bag though, the M3 military issue Combat Life Saver Bag (or it used to be) certainly does the job, especially if it's sitting in the back of your car or on the shelf at home or in the office. To carry this bag on the run or humping for miles and miles makes for one hell of a nuisance. I first came to know this bag when I was selected to be a combat life saver in the Army. I felt special and of course I loved new gear. But I soon came to realize that the bage was the biggest hassle in the field. Trying to run, low crawl or hump a ruck sack with that thing dangling form my shoulder, I would sooner dump everything into a big ziploc and store it in my 3-day pack or ruck sack.

Just some food for thought. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:58 pm 

Trip Wire 6 wrote:

2. To Erik. Your IFAK rocks, especially the contents. The bag though, the M3 military issue Combat Life Saver Bag (or it used to be) certainly does the job, especially if it's sitting in the back of your car or on the shelf at home or in the office. To carry this bag on the run or humping for miles and miles makes for one hell of a nuisance. I first came to know this bag when I was selected to be a combat life saver in the Army. I felt special and of course I loved new gear. But I soon came to realize that the bage was the biggest hassle in the field. Trying to run, low crawl or hump a ruck sack with that thing dangling form my shoulder, I would sooner dump everything into a big ziploc and store it in my 3-day pack or ruck sack.

Just some food for thought. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I agree about the M3 not being mobile friendly. On mine, the upper small pouch tends to slip out to the side. the one buckle just doesn't keep it rolled up. Anyone else have this problem? I was thinking of maybe putting a big strip of velcro between the small upper pouch and the big pouch to help it stay rolled up. Also, maybe there's a way to put some molle straps or something on the back of it instead of the shoulder strap?

"Now remember, if things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head, and you give up, then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." -JW

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:01 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

looks good man.

on a side note, make sure that those bandages that you have, that you cant remember what kind they were, are not HemCon bandages aka Chitosan bandages. The Army has since removed them due to complications with using them, one of which is Shell Fish allergies, etc.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:19 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

crypto wrote:
Space blankets would be fucking great if we lived in space, where there's no such thing as convection, and all heat loss was radiant.

Unfortunately, we dont, and air currents carry far more heat than simple radiation. I've found space blankets do little more than stop the wind.

They also block IR from NVGs and NV cameras. However the Goliath's chip-bag sound effect somewhat lessens it's effectiveness as camouflage, as does the appearance of being a massive ball of tinfoil.

Btw Eric, i didn't see a light in your otherwise awesome kit. Have you added one or are you planning to?
Murphy's laws wrote:

Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:36 am 

quackfiend wrote:
Btw Eric, i didn't see a light in your otherwise awesome kit. Have you added one or are you planning to?

I have a light on my keychain.

BOAT
Water Storage

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:14 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Erik wrote:
quackfiend wrote:

I have a light on my keychain.

Wanna bet that when you really, really need your flashlight in a trauma situation, it will be lost/broken/empty battery? 8)

I've got a EDC light, 2 in my Edc bag and still I keep a headlamp (LED with lithium batteries) in my car FAK.

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''