All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:56 pm 

Mmmmm.....probe.....

....Mudbutt....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:58 pm 

Erik wrote:
TheFreakinBear, note that I removed the EpiPen from my FAK. Do not use it on anyone but yourself. As for the larger kits, you should PM me. I have a thing or two in there that even Gunny may not have. :twisted:

-Erik

You assume too much.

Very nice kit Erik, do you have any extra butterfly closures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:37 pm 

My take on the FAK:

First of all, I like the bag itself. Got any links to a cheap one out there?

Anyway, on to the contents. The "mystery bandage" looks like a hydrocolloid dressing. I'd cut way down on the number of sutures and add more tape. If space is an issue, do that flat packing business card thing with some duct tape. I don't see any meds in there. Finding some space for a couple of basic meds (aspirin, Tylenol, Benadryl) would be a good idea. That's about it.

Oh, and you could probably save a ton of space by carrying one of those membrane type cpr face shields instead of the mask type.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:20 pm 

Ricky Romero wrote:
My take on the FAK:

Anyway, on to the contents. The "mystery bandage" looks like a hydrocolloid dressing. I'd cut way down on the number of sutures and add more tape. If space is an issue, do that flat packing business card thing with some duct tape. I don't see any meds in there. Finding some space for a couple of basic meds (aspirin, Tylenol, Benadryl) would be a good idea. That's about it.

Oh, and you could probably save a ton of space by carrying one of those membrane type cpr face shields instead of the mask type.

Membranes aren't worth a shit. Erik's got a great mask that can hook directly to an ambu bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:28 pm 

Well, yeah. But Ambu bag compatibility wouldn't really come into play unless you had an Ambu bag. And anyone who has an Ambu bag (EMS who arrive at the scene) would have a mask. I've never used a membrane cpr face shield so I couldn't attest to their quality, but there must be a brand out there that doesn't completely suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 pm 

Ricky Romero wrote:
Well, yeah. But Ambu bag compatibility wouldn't really come into play unless you had an Ambu bag. And anyone who has an Ambu bag (EMS who arrive at the scene) would have a mask. I've never used a membrane cpr face shield so I couldn't attest to their quality, but there must be a brand out there that doesn't completely suck.

It's not the brand, it's the design. I won't go into it too much more as to not fubar Erik's thread, but the mask incorporates a design that removes the necessity to pinch the patient's nose while performing CPR, which leaves your other hand free to do other tasks (like feel for a pulse or whatever).

Erik, just looked again at your bag. Someone mentioned you need meds, and they're right. Immodium AD, Benadryl, Moltrin, Tylenol, Asprin, Anti-acids and so on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:58 am 

Ricky Romero wrote:

http://www.imsplus.com/ims24.html

The bag itself is pretty cheap - $16.95. Definitely something to pick up.

Collin

ZS Fleet #0065

"Medical authorities in Cumberland have concluded that in all cases, the killers are eating the flesh of the people they kill."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:15 pm 

Gunny wrote:
It's not the brand, it's the design. I won't go into it too much more as to not fubar Erik's thread, but the mask incorporates a design that removes the necessity to pinch the patient's nose while performing CPR, which leaves your other hand free to do other tasks (like feel for a pulse or whatever).

Sorry for the derail, but I had to ask about this. If you use the mask that Erik has you still need to seal the mask to the face using the C-E method, so you really aren't saving a hand. I would not call the membrane masks shit, I have used them and they work fine. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but could you not use a membrane mask on any size patient, even a child? Because an adult valve mask is not going to work on a four year old.

I would agree if you said that it is easier to seal the valve mask than to try and pinch the patients nose. Also, you can maintain head-tilt better because your fingers are already on their chin....maybe that's what you meant, sorry I might be an idiot. But you should not be checking a pulse and giving rescue breaths at the same time, at least not according to AHA BLS training. Maybe tac med is different.

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:11 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Veritas wrote:
Maybe tac med is different.

Yeah, you dont give CPR in tac med..... :wink:

I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm 

Ricky Romero wrote:
My take on the FAK:

Ricky,

Here is the M3 Bag for $14.95.

Post subject: CTD
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:30 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Cheaper than Dirt has these for 12.97 (11.67 for members).

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE111-1279-1978.html in Black
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE114 ... s=MOLLE114 in OD Green

--
Williams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:44 pm 

Thanks for the links guys. Sorry for the derail Erik. Back on topic...

I'm going to make a suggestion (and before anybody shoots it down in this thread, there's already an active thread concerning this issue) that there are a few things that could possibly stand to be out of the package. It could save you some space. The space saved might be so minimal as to not make a difference, but I thought I'd throw it out there. In particular I refer to items that will not go directly against an open wound, i.e. the SAM splint, Coban, the TQ, the Penrose drain (as long as it's just a backup TQ, not used as a drain), and depending on inner packaging, maybe the Izzys. I don't know how you feel about that, but only unwrapping things that won't come in contact with open skin seems like a good compromise in the "unwrap/don't unwrap" debate. You could also repackage some items that sport bulkier packaging. They won't be sterile, but they will be clean.

Again, if you take issue with this suggestion, post it in the other thread. Erik reads the First Aid forums and he'll see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:10 am 

Yeah, I'm not sure if I said this before, but that is a good kit.

Erik, you mentioned two other kits in your closet? Are those in cool bags also or do you just have the stuff stashed in boxes? The medical stuff in my closet is in shambles, I just keep it in various tupperware style tubs.

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:02 pm 

Fennrisulfr wrote:
Ricky Romero wrote:

http://www.imsplus.com/ims24.html

The bag itself is pretty cheap - $16.95. Definitely something to pick up.

Collin

The Army surp. store I was in today had that same bag, for the same price. I passed on it. I don't have enough training to use a FAK that extensively. I have basic FAK's but none that complete.

(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:49 pm 

Thanks Gunny - I'm going to throw some meds in there: Excedrine, etc. And yes, that is exactly all of my butterfly closures (Band-aid brand!).

As far as the suggestion to toss the packaging, it really is quite minimal. I'd rather keep things sterile. In some cases, such as with the Izzys, the packaging is a vacuum wrap that actually keeps the bandages smaller than if they were unwarpped. The only packaging that really gets in my way is the Coban. The wrapping is way too big, but I don't want to desterilize them by removing it.

BOAT
Water Storage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:40 pm 

Erik wrote:
Thanks Gunny - I'm going to throw some meds in there: Excedrine, etc. And yes, that is exactly all of my butterfly closures (Band-aid brand!).

As far as the suggestion to toss the packaging, it really is quite minimal. I'd rather keep things sterile. In some cases, such as with the Izzys, the packaging is a vacuum wrap that actually keeps the bandages smaller than if they were unwarpped. The only packaging that really gets in my way is the Coban. The wrapping is way too big, but I don't want to desterilize them by removing it.

Coban's just a wrap buddy, it'll be okay out of the package (though it doesn't do great in the Texas heat).

Keep the izzy's in their wrappers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:43 am 

Maybe throw a silver space blanket or two in there. They are tiny when compressed, and keeping the body warm in certain climatic or stressful situations is more important than any medication, will hardly cost anything, will not weigh anything and will only take up a small amount of space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:07 am 

The problem with the space blankets is they have never, ever succeeded to keep me any warmer than if I simply didn't have a space blanket. They are certainly small and if they actually worked, would be a great addition to a BOB or FAK.

-Erik

BOAT
Water Storage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:51 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Space blankets would be fucking great if we lived in space, where there's no such thing as convection, and all heat loss was radiant.

Unfortunately, we dont, and air currents carry far more heat than simple radiation. I've found space blankets do little more than stop the wind.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:40 pm 

crypto wrote:
Space blankets would be fucking great if we lived in space, where there's no such thing as convection, and all heat loss was radiant.

Unfortunately, we dont, and air currents carry far more heat than simple radiation. I've found space blankets do little more than stop the wind.

Dude, you know your stuff. Not many average people know the difference between conduction, convection, and radiation. Do you have a science background?

-Erik

BOAT
Water Storage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:44 pm 

Erik wrote:
crypto wrote:

Dude, you know your stuff. Not many average people know the difference between conduction, convection, and radiation. Do you have a science background?

-Erik

Hahahahahaha, we learned that stuff in the Fire Academy. I believe the class was "Fire Science". I took it again during an arson investigation course.

Krustofski wrote:
What the... listen man, you don't need a rifle, you can simply throw the bullets with 3,000 fps. Your arms should have been legs, I'm impressed.

Regular Guy wrote:
Lizard looks like he can bend steel by looking at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:33 pm 
BANNED

"I've found space blankets do little more than stop the wind"

Which is a whole lot better than nothing

"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." (LtCOL. Jeff Cooper U.S.M.C.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:59 pm 

Erik wrote:

-Erik

If he was any kind of a cook, he'd definitely know.

Post subject: Epi pens
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:15 pm 

Sorry everyone ,

I was gonna give Thefreakinbear an Epi pen. Give, yes, free. But Erik sez use only one yourself. Sorry. I'll give a lighter or duct tape or something.....