Please help me with my EDC FAK

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

s.leinicke

Please help me with my EDC FAK

Post by s.leinicke » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:04 am

I just updated my everyday carry first aid kit and the new bag I got still isn't big enough. >.<

Here's what I'm working with.
Vanquest FATPack
EMT shears & Benchmade 5 hook

left side top CAT
middle top boo-boo kit
right side top 6" izzy
tape
2 4" izzy
3" ACE
gloves
in the pouch (everything set on top) hand wipes, providone-iodine pads, alcohol wipes, tweezers and chapstick

pulled everything out that can't be seen easily above picture
triangular bandage
3 SAM finger splints
3 #10 scalpels
SAM XL splint
2x oval eye pads
4x4 gauze pad

in boo-boo kit:
adhesive bandages
2x2 gauze pads
butterfly sutures
caffeine pills
ibuprofen

I got some kerlix and disposable cold packs that I just can't stuff in it. I think I'm going to have to split it between the EDC and my GHB that I keep in my trunk. Since it has MOLLE on the back I can attach it to my tri-zip that I use as my GHB. So I think the most important things to keep in it are things that will help deal with immediate threats and the boo-boo kit that I use on a more frequent basis. I think the izzys, CAT, splint and obviously gloves need to stay.

Any suggestions on where to streamline and suggestions on packs to fit the overflow in my GHB would be greatly appreciated.

IANMCDEVITT

Re: Please help me with my EDC FAK

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:14 am

Nice pack! Can I have it? :awesome: ...............You got double duty there and don't need it. Toss the scissors. Toss the little SAM splints and put a dedicated chest seal in there? I'd say? You can make the little SAM splints by just cutting your XL SAM with the rescue hook.......

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:51 am

There are plenty of things the scissors do better than the hook and the the finger splints don't take up enough room to warrant removing them. As far as chest seals go I have been kicking around getting one, but I don't know where to start with them. Also, if some banger around here is going to shoot me he's not going to just shoot me in the chest once he's gonna unload the clip and run.
Last edited by s.leinicke on Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:37 am

OK, keep the scissors if you like them. The finger splints? I can tell you what I know from my experience? Finger injuries can be serious and usually require surgery. The old "pulling the finger" to reposition it is a NO GO!!!! Fingers should be splinted with each other meaning a healthy finger with a damaged one. The reason for that is that it will have some support, but the movement will also allow blood flow to the injured joint which increases healing potential and speed. You must have oxygen to the injured area and that's the reason to NOT totally immobilize. Also, always, they should be splinted in position of function.............this is short, I know. I gotta split.

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:59 am

This is an edc pack so everything is to just stabilize until it can get to an er or doctor. Immobilizing the finger until you can get to someone to set it is still a good plan right?

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:44 am

This looks like a real hodge-podge of stuff. What sort of injuries are you expecting to address with this kit, and how likely are they to happen?
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:15 pm

How exactly is this a hodge podge? I'm a delivery driver and drive 100 miles a day. Car accidents can cause severe lacerations and breaks. My kit covers both of those. Plus it's an edc so i have the basic Band-Aids and stuff you need to use in the food industry when you have open wounds.

springer

Post by springer » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:09 pm

Throw in a pocket face mask and a few NPAs if you know how to use them.

springer

Post by springer » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:11 pm

I would put some aspirin in there also. Two tablets don't take up much space and can make a huge difference to someone having a heart attack.

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:57 am

I took the pictures before I threw in a n95 mask. I had 2 in my GHB in the trunk and I moved one into that kit and left the other. No clue how to use a NPA so I left that alone. I definitely need to get some OTC meds in there. I want individually packaged ones so that I don't have to keep big bottles, but they get ruinously expensive. It's "technically" illegal to have unlabeled pills in kits right? Is there a way to do it legally without a big bottle and not having individual packaged ones? Also, if I were to have loose pills (out of a bottle) whats a good way to keep them? I had previously purchased little plastic bags, but I got ones that were to thin and they made me look like a drug dealer.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:27 pm

s.leinicke wrote:I took the pictures before I threw in a n95 mask. I had 2 in my GHB in the trunk and I moved one into that kit and left the other. No clue how to use a NPA so I left that alone. I definitely need to get some OTC meds in there. I want individually packaged ones so that I don't have to keep big bottles, but they get ruinously expensive. It's "technically" illegal to have unlabeled pills in kits right? Is there a way to do it legally without a big bottle and not having individual packaged ones? Also, if I were to have loose pills (out of a bottle) whats a good way to keep them? I had previously purchased little plastic bags, but I got ones that were to thin and they made me look like a drug dealer.
Check out http://www.redflarekits.com/first-aid-refills
Good prices on small lots.

And yes! you are correct - DO NOT carry loose OTC meds in plastic bags. It may save you a boot to the head from Officer Friendly....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

springer

Post by springer » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:24 pm

s.leinicke wrote:I took the pictures before I threw in a n95 mask. I had 2 in my GHB in the trunk and I moved one into that kit and left the other. No clue how to use a NPA so I left that alone. I definitely need to get some OTC meds in there. I want individually packaged ones so that I don't have to keep big bottles, but they get ruinously expensive. It's "technically" illegal to have unlabeled pills in kits right? Is there a way to do it legally without a big bottle and not having individual packaged ones? Also, if I were to have loose pills (out of a bottle) whats a good way to keep them? I had previously purchased little plastic bags, but I got ones that were to thin and they made me look like a drug dealer.

I think you misunderstood, this is a pocket face mask. It's used for ventilating people who are breathing insufficiently.

http://www.aed.com/medstorm-pocket-mask ... HwoddAsNNA

It's not illegal to carry OTC's in a non labelled container. I use the supper small ziplock bags from the craft store "Micheal’s"

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:06 pm

TacAir wrote: Check out http://www.redflarekits.com/first-aid-refills
Good prices on small lots.

And yes! you are correct - DO NOT carry loose OTC meds in plastic bags. It may save you a boot to the head from Officer Friendly....
Awesome link. I'll put it to good use.

springer wrote: I think you misunderstood, this is a pocket face mask. It's used for ventilating people who are breathing insufficiently.

http://www.aed.com/medstorm-pocket-mask ... HwoddAsNNA

It's not illegal to carry OTC's in a non labelled container. I use the supper small ziplock bags from the craft store "Micheal’s"
I did thank you for the clarification. I don't have my cpr/first aid up to date so this is a kit more for me than to treat anyone else. When I get around to getting my first responder again I may have to get one. Isn't CPR supposed to be compression only anymore? This may be a piece of gear outside of my knowledge and comfort zone too.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:44 am

If that's your EDC FAK then I'm going no-where near America.
Question: what injuries are you expecting? as an EDC do you really all those supplies?
Question: how far away is medical aid? do you work in a remote location or in town?
Question: Have you considered breaking that into a trauma bag that lives in your car and a smaller FAK for EDC?

I may sound rude, but you are carrying more equipment then i carry hiking in remote areas (remote being 300km in bush from hospital)
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:53 am

As stated earlier I'm a delivery driver. There are a fair number of shootings especially after midnight (we're open until 2 or 3 am). This happened literally 2 minutes from my store. I was out delivering that night. All other 5 shooting deaths this year (listed at the bottom of the article) happened in our delivery area. If you read there have been 130 cases of shots fired in Davenport since Jan 1. It's not exactly a safe place. We've had drivers robbed. Car crashes are also a high probability. Response time isn't terrible, but I'll need to patch myself up enough to drive to a hospital or not bleed out before ambulance arrives. This kit fits nicely in my edc bag. I want stuff that can slow down GSW and lacerations (from both knives and car crashes) and allow me to patch up broken bones until I can get them treated. I don't want my FAK to be in my trunk when seconds count I'd rather have it in reach in the passenger seat.

I really should throw some chest seals in here, but I am out of my depth with them. I don't know what to get or how to apply them correctly. If I manage to catch a stray shot to the chest I'll just have to use my 6" izzy and get to a hospital asap.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:12 pm

s.leinicke wrote:As stated earlier I'm a delivery driver. There are a fair number of shootings especially after midnight (we're open until 2 or 3 am). I was out delivering that night. All other 5 shooting deaths this year (listed at the bottom of the article) happened in our delivery area. If you read there have been 130 cases of shots fired in Davenport since Jan 1. It's not exactly a safe place. We've had drivers robbed. Car crashes are also a high probability. Response time isn't terrible, but I'll need to patch myself up enough to drive to a hospital or not bleed out before ambulance arrives. This kit fits nicely in my edc bag. I want stuff that can slow down GSW and lacerations (from both knives and car crashes) and allow me to patch up broken bones until I can get them treated. I don't want my FAK to be in my trunk when seconds count I'd rather have it in reach in the passenger seat.
I wasn't aware of the numbers, I would suggest carrying a sterile triangular bandage, its a pad for bleeding and you can use it as a sling. the sam splints are useful but do require additional padding and practice to get somewhat decent support for the fracture. I would also enquire why you are carrying scalpels?

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:06 pm

Does it have to be a sterile triangular bandage? I have a non-sterile over in there. It looked like I could just ace bandage around the sam splint and if needed triangle bandage to immobilize. I also have a shemaugh in my edc bag proper. The scalpels are probably the least on point thing in there. It seemed like it might be useful to have something sharp pre-sterilized in my kit.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:33 am

s.leinicke wrote:Does it have to be a sterile triangular bandage? I have a non-sterile over in there. It looked like I could just ace bandage around the sam splint and if needed triangle bandage to immobilize. I also have a shemaugh in my edc bag proper. The scalpels are probably the least on point thing in there. It seemed like it might be useful to have something sharp pre-sterilized in my kit.
I only carry a sterile bandage which means I don't need to carry an additional large pad. it is also more compact then an 4" izzy. I don't really see the case for scalpels in a FAK unless you are qualified for minor surgery. If I really need a sharp utensil i can sterilise my pocket knife.

I personally can pick holes all day, but that is entirely due to the different conditions and training everyone has. In all you have a decent EDC, heck, add some quikclot and duct tape and call it a small trauma bag, just take out the scalpels as there really isn't any need for them.

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:02 am

Thanks. I thought it was pretty good. I got about the responses I expected. It just seemed like the smartest thing to do would be to check with all you pros.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:40 am

springer wrote:
QFT, There are micro mint tins and ear plug containers [among others] that work great for meds too.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Jorian

Post by Jorian » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:40 pm

No Tourniquet? I'd definitely add a CAT and/or at least a SWAT-T. But that's just me...

About loose meds... unlabeled containers are okay if you NEVER give anyone else anything from them. If you entertain the idea of giving them to others (even OTC meds), you should get unit dose packets with all the FDA labeling. Otherwise you are open to all kinds of liability.

springer

Post by springer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:56 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
springer wrote:
QFT, There are micro mint tins and ear plug containers [among others] that work great for meds too.

I find that meds turn to dust in these tins without some padding.

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:54 am

Jorian wrote:No Tourniquet? I'd definitely add a CAT and/or at least a SWAT-T. But that's just me...
s.leinicke wrote:left side top CAT

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:44 pm

I'd pull two of the trauma dressings and replace them with either kerlex, kling, ABD pads, or a stack of 4x4's. Izzys are good at what they're good at, but come up short in other areas, and are generally overkill for what you'll see in civilian life.
Also on the "to be pulled" list
-Two of the scalpels
-The finger splints
and replace it with some 2-3" Silk or trainers tape.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

Return to “First Aid”