Flat feet.

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Flat feet.

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:00 am

I have flat feet.

I've had them all my life, and its just something that's always been there. Sometimes I just forget that a foot is supposed to have a pronounced arch in them. I don't know how much of a hindrance it has been on my life, because I have literally never known anything else.

I've come to the realization that I should know more about this. I've done an astoundingly little amount of any research about it, and have just kind of floated along and gotten by. Well, I'm not getting any younger, and powering thru just isn't going to cut it in the long run.

I figure there are people out there that know more about it than me, and people like me that want to know more. I'd just like to start just an open discussion. Whether it be experiences, frustration, helpful tips or just banter.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Sworbeyegib

Re: Flat feet.

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:33 am

A little about my experiences.

Growing up, adolescence, puberty and adulthood, I've always had flat feet. Just something that people told me, and I just shrugged at. I have large, wide feet. I wear a size 15, and I'm only 6ft. In high school I was fitted for a set of custom orthotics that were supposed to help me, but I absolutely hated them. I wore them every day until they were worn flat. I'm not sure if it was angsty stubbornness, or my disbelief of there even being a major problem, but I never went back for another set.

Since then, I've just worn and used over the counter shoe inserts because that was the "thing to do". I'm not sure if I was getting the right one, usually I'd get the "half foot" ones because finding size 15's were so hard. Sometimes I'd just forget about buying it when I bought a new pair of shoes altogether. I really just kept dropping the ball. On my list of problems, my feet didn't seem to rank very high.

So what problems does it cause? Well I'm not really sure what to compare it to. For one thing, I'm a heavy guy, and used to be even heavier. My weight has fluctuated over the years depending on my level of activity and diet. My "cruising" weight is somewhere around 300lbs. That is HEAVY. But that is where my body tends to hover around if I'm doing moderate eating habits, and moderate exercise/activity. At my biggest I was 385lbs, but after a self realization, I drastically changed my lifestyle and was able to get down to 235lbs in about a year and a half. I started sliding back up because of an undisciplined diet, and am currently about 265lbs, even though I keep active with the gym, hiking, swimming and occasional sparring... I can't seem to drop my gut without hyper dieting.

My heavy frame definitely took its tool on my lower half, as well as just a string of bad luck. Even when I was playing football and running constantly, I'd keep up with all the guys, but pay for it the next day. I've had a myriad of problems with my left leg and knee in particular. I've been mildly arthritic in my ankle since middle school which flairs up after heavy running or jogging for a long time. In high school I tore my MCL for the first time, and have messed it up a multitude of times since, leaving my knee/kneecap with really messed up cartilage. And I used to have chronic ingrown toe nails on both sides of both big toes, my toenails have a tendency to grow deeply curved and into my toe. I pretty much had to have both my big toes nails ripped out multiple times each until they finally grew back straight enough to get past the meaty part. This affected my gate significantly at one point. Nowadays I have to take care and keep my nails a certain length and shape so they don't flair up again.

So after all those problems, having flat feet just seemed to get lost in the cracks. So now I want to know what sets me apart from everyone else. And just see what other experiences people have gone thru and if it has affected them at all.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:22 am

I had flat feet when I was in elementary school. I wore the Dr Scholls arch supports through puberty and no longer had flat feet...until I joined the Army. Running constantly and being on my feet caused plantar fasciitis. It feels like a sledge hammer hitting the bottom of your feet every time you take a step. It hurt. 15 years after the Army, I still run, but I do not wear inserts. I do occasionally have lower leg problems (shin splints, etc) but I've found that going to a good running store (the kind that can evaluate your stride, foot strike, pronation, etc) can recommend a shoe that provides the necessary support. I do not wear inserts in boots and other shoes, and after a long day on my feet hiking, hunting, fishing or working, I can feel it.

Best thing would be to see a physician. If it is not causing a problem with your current lifestyle, don't sweat it. If you intend to start running marathons or there is regular pain, then see the doc to get it addressed. Mostly though, properly fitted shoes and maybe some physical therapy will help with some of the other issues. Your weight with flat feet will definitely lead to lower leg issues. I'm 5'10" and 215 and my knees and ankles take a pounding when I run. I generally do increasing distances to slowly beat down my legs (Monday 2mi, Wednesday 3.5mi, Friday 5mi).
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:57 am

Caenus wrote:I had flat feet when I was in elementary school. I wore the Dr Scholls arch supports through puberty and no longer had flat feet...until I joined the Army. Running constantly and being on my feet caused plantar fasciitis. It feels like a sledge hammer hitting the bottom of your feet every time you take a step. It hurt. 15 years after the Army, I still run, but I do not wear inserts. I do occasionally have lower leg problems (shin splints, etc) but I've found that going to a good running store (the kind that can evaluate your stride, foot strike, pronation, etc) can recommend a shoe that provides the necessary support. I do not wear inserts in boots and other shoes, and after a long day on my feet hiking, hunting, fishing or working, I can feel it.

Best thing would be to see a physician. If it is not causing a problem with your current lifestyle, don't sweat it. If you intend to start running marathons or there is regular pain, then see the doc to get it addressed. Mostly though, properly fitted shoes and maybe some physical therapy will help with some of the other issues. Your weight with flat feet will definitely lead to lower leg issues. I'm 5'10" and 215 and my knees and ankles take a pounding when I run. I generally do increasing distances to slowly beat down my legs (Monday 2mi, Wednesday 3.5mi, Friday 5mi).
Ditto on the Plantar Fasciitis totally sucking. I don't have flat feet as a kid, but suffered falling arches and eventually plantar faciitis over time between running, karate, and hiking. Definitely the OP needs to drop weight and get check out by a podiatrist. You probably need an orthotic insole. Also I never found relief with drug store insoles like Dr Scholls, however insoles that you find in sporting good store and hiking store are tons better. Superfeet are OK, but Sole insoles pretty much cured me of my Plantar problem.

http://www.rei.com/b/sole?s_kwcid=su1hu ... 7Aod8DUAnA

They are $45 a pop, but still a heck of a lot cheaper than what a podiatrist will charge you for insoles (unless you have great health insurance)

Another thing I found helpful is foot strengthening exercises and not walking around barefoot too much. Something that I wear a lot especially after walking/hiking long distances are Croc brand clogs. I always thought they were gay looking, but after buying a pair after another Plantar suffer suggested it, I wear them constantly when I am lounging around home, or as camp shoes. They help a lot.

dallas

Post by dallas » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:51 am

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but the best thing you can do is lose a lot of weight. That would help a lot if not all of your assorted problems with your feet, ankles, and knees. It would also help insure your general health stays good.

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:51 am

There is 4 components for happy feet.
1.Understanding the different parts of the foot.
2.What is a health foot?
3.Terrain.
4.Protecting the foot/feet;choosing the right shoe/ boot and socks.

Wife complaining about me sitting at commuter, must go do yard work,back later.
Last edited by buck85 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:22 pm

dallas wrote:I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but the best thing you can do is lose a lot of weight. That would help a lot if not all of your assorted problems with your feet, ankles, and knees. It would also help insure your general health stays good.
Oh trust me I know, like I had posted before, I had at one point dropped about 150lbs and felt a huge difference in overall health. I just have let about 30lbs of that come sliding back, but I'm determined to shed that and more. Because of my knee and ankle problems I try to stick to low impact cardio like biking or the eliptical machine at the gym.

I just am a little uninformed on overall foot health. Since I have such large feet, it has always been hard for me to find the right shoes. Often times I can't try on multiple pairs at a store, and I am lucky to even find size 15's in stock at most places. Most of the times I just walk straight to an associate at the store and ask them to bring me every size 15 they have in the back, regardless of what they look like. I'm lucky if I have 3 or 4 pairs to choose from out of the entire stock. Many times they just look at me and say "sorry".

buck85

Post by buck85 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:08 pm

The foot;What is it?
The foot is one of the most important parts of the body.Most people know little of how it works and even less about keeping it healthy.Take a moment and look at the two illustrations,do not worry there is not going to be a test later.

What your first impression? Mine was 'there is a lot of bone,muscles and tendons.' Muscles and tendons work in pairs(one pulling/other pushing) holding bones in place and allowing movement.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:57 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote:
dallas wrote:I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but the best thing you can do is lose a lot of weight. That would help a lot if not all of your assorted problems with your feet, ankles, and knees. It would also help insure your general health stays good.
Oh trust me I know, like I had posted before, I had at one point dropped about 150lbs and felt a huge difference in overall health. I just have let about 30lbs of that come sliding back, but I'm determined to shed that and more. Because of my knee and ankle problems I try to stick to low impact cardio like biking or the eliptical machine at the gym.

I just am a little uninformed on overall foot health. Since I have such large feet, it has always been hard for me to find the right shoes. Often times I can't try on multiple pairs at a store, and I am lucky to even find size 15's in stock at most places. Most of the times I just walk straight to an associate at the store and ask them to bring me every size 15 they have in the back, regardless of what they look like. I'm lucky if I have 3 or 4 pairs to choose from out of the entire stock. Many times they just look at me and say "sorry".
Based on your location, swimming is great if you can manage it routinely. Treading water, swimming laps. Good cardio and easy on joints. Also an amazing way to start the day.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

buck85

Post by buck85 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:05 pm

Maintaining healthy feet.
disclaimer;this is not an all inclusive post. This is just a general over view.
Looking at the two illustrations from my earlier post.What are three general things you see? Bones, muscles, and tendons.The general rules for a health body are the same for health feet. Diet, Protein for muscles and blood,calcium for bone health and hydration,to prevent cramping.and exercising.Hummm, what is missing from proper foot health? Exercising!!!

Last edited by buck85 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

buck85

Post by buck85 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Here is an informative web site
http://www.myfootshop.com/Articles/

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:13 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Sworbeyegib wrote:

Based on your location, swimming is great if you can manage it routinely. Treading water, swimming laps. Good cardio and easy on joints. Also an amazing way to start the day.
Even just lengthy walks on the beach provide a pretty good workout. All that loose sand really makes you work for each step without the same pounding as running on the pavement. Of course, that is as long as I keep my heart rate up at an appropriate level to actually get the full cardio benefit. My Dad is a lifelong surfer, runner, and in general an endurance athlete. His morning routine involves going for a run in the shin high water, followed by a few hours of surfing. I've seen him do it, and tried to keep up a few times... And it is brutal.

I go to the gym a few times a week, but I haven't actually enjoyed going to the gym in a few years. I just do it because I know its what I need to do, and I just go thru the motions while I'm there. I just kind of go onto autopilot. I know I should be pushing myself more, but I least I'm getting something done.

I know I should really find a way to enjoy my workouts, but I've just been stubborn about changing my routine. Especially since I changed jobs and moved to a new apartment on the other side of the island.

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:16 am

buck85 wrote:Here is an informative web site
http://www.myfootshop.com/Articles/
Thanks for the site. This is the kind of information I should probably have looked for awhile ago.

I mean, I know that looking stuff up online is not the same as going to see a real doctor, but at least until I do I can do my best to inform myself.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:28 am

The best thing for a workout is a workout buddy. I have a motivation issue too, so having someone to compete really pushes me to work harder. Good tempo music helps, but if time isn't a crunch, take a little longer at a slower pace. I can recommend some good hour-plus podcasts that are good elliptical or biking at 120-ish BPM. If you're trying to push into the 140-range, find whatever music gets you in "the mood" and snap to it. For lifting, I switch between really some industrial-ish playlist, or just queen it up. Beyonce, Lily Allen, some P!nk, a little Lana Del Ray, etc. I tried lifting to K-pop, but it was hard to get sets in between dancing.

I reeeeeally hate running. Eventually I'll break down and buy an elliptical, and put an iPad or something on it so I can watch my stories while doing cardio at home.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “First Aid”