Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: weater alert radios
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:16 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question but I am sure someone here has the answer.

What do you look for in a weather alert radio? I want one that will listen for the tones for severe weather. one that I can leave on all the time but have it come on when an alert happens. Lots of radios have SAME and other acronyms. I saw a midland radio on clearance at walmart for $30 that sounded like what I wanted. Not sure though.

We just moved to iowa and the SO is worried about tornados.

Post subject: Re: weater alert radios
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:08 pm 

S.A.M.E., All-Hazards, and Public Alert are the buzzwords to watch for. S.A.M.E. stands for Specific Alert Message Encoding and is a versatile system that allows you to choose exactly what kinds of alerts you want to hear, and even when to hear them.

I have a couple of the Midland WR-300 models around the house, and one in each vehicle and I'm quite pleased with them.

This link gives a pretty good amount of information on the Public Alert system: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/nwrrcvr.htm

(edit: fixed typo in model #)

There's always a certain percentage of any population with the conviction that society is a conspiracy to deny them their rights.
The right to be totally ignorant of any useful knowledge seems to be the basic one.
- Keith Laumer

Last edited by Gone or something on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: weater alert radios
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:56 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thanks! I picked up a midland wr-120. Seems to have what we want and it was really the only choice. :)

Now I just have to wait for an alert to see if I have it programmed correctly.