Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: radio work
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:21 pm 

I posted on another thread here but I figured I would repost here...

Anyone know where I could get work done on a handful of UHF MAXON handheld radios.
They all charge, they all turn on, they all squelch, I need them to get all on the same channel.
Can someone tell me how to change crystals or know anyone who can do it for me.

MAXON CP-0520-HD

Post subject: Re: radio work
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:34 am 

One source for channel elements
http://www.icmfg.com/maxon.html

I did find this shop (in TX, unfortunately) that takes in radios.
http://www.natrad.com/new-and-used.php

Best best is find a jobber in your area, or a shop that does rentals. These often have shops that perform services on similar branded radios.

Good luck. Swapping out the CE is not that big a deal, the alignment and testing requires a calibrated service monitor. Will these be set up for use on the ham bands?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:55 am 

I was planning on using these for private chat between members of my party who go out to hunt or scavenge for supplies.
Private channel so as to not allow others to know of any "goodies" we might find.
close by outside group to group convos would be run on base or mobile CB.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:42 am 

togonkd2 wrote:
I was planning on using these for private chat between members of my party who go out to hunt or scavenge for supplies.
Private channel so as to not allow others to know of any "goodies" we might find.
close by outside group to group convos would be run on base or mobile CB.

There's no such thing as complete privacy when it comes to radio, unless it's encrypted.

There's always a certain percentage of any population with the conviction that society is a conspiracy to deny them their rights.
The right to be totally ignorant of any useful knowledge seems to be the basic one.
- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:16 am 

My personal recommendation is to sell the radio and dont waste your time with them. Your going to pay close to $50 per radio to
get the crystals, another $50+ to get them installed and the radio returned to the channels. By the time you spend all that money it would be cheaper
to buy modern programmable radios.

Also keep in mind you need to get a license for these radios. There is no license free radio service you can use these radios on .

Last edited by gary in ohio on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:41 pm 

I applaud your effort to try to make use of those radios, that most would consider obsolete or not worth the cost (myself sorta included).
Just some tips...
Do you know what condition the batteries are in? Those are very old radios and replacement batts could be difficult to find and expensive, particularly if they're becoming scarce. I'd suggest you find out before investing more money into them.

Take the batteries off and look for a sticker or color dot that indicates the frequencies. It's very possible they are already on some frequency that you could easily get licensed for. Might be on the back or under a belt clip. If you know where they came from you can do a license search on the fcc website to get clues as to what the frequencies are.

And also, they may be crystalled for use with a repeater. That is transmit on one frequency, receive on another. If they all came from the same place, you may be in luck if the radios have a function called talk-around. This makes the radios transmit and receive in the same frequency.
Getting ahold of an old manual would be helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:07 pm 

gary in ohio wrote:
Also keep in mind you need to get a license for these radios. There is no license free radio service you can use these radios on except ham radio.

Amateur radio does require licensing.

There's always a certain percentage of any population with the conviction that society is a conspiracy to deny them their rights.
The right to be totally ignorant of any useful knowledge seems to be the basic one.
- Keith Laumer