It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:54 pm 

not quiet as easy as the title reads.
I need a hand mic that will accept an ear bud (if I want to) that the clip will not break...it is for a Yaesu FT-60r
I think I am on my fifth or sixth hand mic. after braking a few Yaesu brand miss I moved to an AK defense. it is a nice mic and looks tough but I continually bust the clips of my mics. the AK defense mic isn't as cheap as the Yaesus (75.00) I had a trooper model and AK makes several "tougher" and more expensive models but I am reluctant to spend that kinda cash if it isn't going to hold up. If any one has any experience with a hand mic that will not brake so easily I would love some input. I am really tired of taping MRE spoons to my hand mic for a field expedient clip.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:49 pm 

E-Bay. When you're buying them for less than 10 apiece, you can carry extra. :mrgreen:

Ahhh, America. the only country in the world to go from Barbarism to Decadency without the benefit of establishing a civilization...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:00 pm 

kevthemed wrote:
E-Bay. When you're buying them for less than 10 apiece, you can carry extra. :mrgreen:

word :wink:

One of the sellers on eBay from over in Hong Kong sells a hand mic for the FT-60 that uses a heavy metal clip. I have two of them and they're pretty good. Price was about $12 ea with shipping.

There's always a certain percentage of any population with the conviction that society is a conspiracy to deny them their rights.
The right to be totally ignorant of any useful knowledge seems to be the basic one.
- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:54 pm 

the point is buying one that doesn't brake. I can't afford to carry extra. maybe put a few extra at the house or the BOL. but my INCH bag + rifle + kit weighs in at 101 lbs. ounces are pounds and pounds are pain. All the miss on Ebay I have tried.
I was thinking more like a Thales Mic for an MBITR with an adapter, cutting the MIL plug off and trying to splice a Yaesu tip on it, or something along those lines. any suggestions

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am 

Well if you've tried all the mics on eBay, and still can't find one durable enough for your purposes I don't have anything else to suggest, except maybe taking a second look at what you're doing that's breaking them.

Oh, and I wouldn't suggest trying to splice a Yeasu plug to another mic. It's bound to fail at the splice one day. Instead, maybe make an adapter that converts from one plug to the other?

There's always a certain percentage of any population with the conviction that society is a conspiracy to deny them their rights.
The right to be totally ignorant of any useful knowledge seems to be the basic one.
- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:22 am 

Yaesu CT-91 Microphone Adapter

There are no foolish questions and no man becomes a fool until he has stopped asking questions

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:27 am 

Why is "hand mic" required? I bought a boom set-up from hamcity and it has held up well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:48 am 

Dr Jekell wrote:

I don't think the CT-91 will fit on an FT-60, since it's threaded to screw into the VX-170 mic jack.

- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:22 am 

Sorry wrong adapter

Yaesu CT-44 Microphone Adapter

There are no foolish questions and no man becomes a fool until he has stopped asking questions

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:30 am 

Much love for the stuff Pryme makes (www.pryme.com)

SPM-2102:
http://www.pryme.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2213

SPM-4100 (with the CT-44 adapter mentioned earlier)
http://www.pryme.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2273

I've only needed their light duty speaker mics and one of their medium duty headset boom-type setups, and they've all been rock solid. I'd imagine their heavy duty products to up the ante in durability and ruggedness quite a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:35 am 

TCB Firearms wrote:
Why is "hand mic" required? I bought a boom set-up from hamcity and it has held up well.

Can't speak for the OP's requirements, but there are two main uses I've found for speakermics.

The first is when operating a handheld radio and needing to hold it above my head to get better reception/transmission. Since I can't move my head to also be above my head in order to speak into the radio (or hear it in loud environments) it helps to have the speakermic. In the public service world we call it the statue of liberty =)

The other use is when wearing the radio on a belt, or on the back of my backpack while hiking. I can easily thread the cable for the speakermic to the front shoulder strap on my backpack so that I can operate the radio easily, and be able to actually hear it. (This setup is also nice for keeping the radio away from my body and up a little higher for better reception.)