Zombie Squad

We make dead things deader
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:11 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I mentioned this above, but did not get any response regarding this issue.
I really do not like the way antenna cables run along the rood or the trunk of my car.

I would rather have something like this.

Can anyone comment on this? Pros/cons? which to buy? where to buy?

Crypto? :)

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:19 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

When you have a 4 foot whip sticking off the top of your vehicle you're going to look like a nerd regardless of whether you have a wire attached to it or not.

If that picture of the VW is a picture of a CB setup, it must be some sort of dipole array, and looks expensive. I don't run setups like that for CB, and wouldn't have any constructive advice.

Personally, I dont keep my CB antenna on top of the car all the time, just for road trips. Then I just put it in the center of the roof.

If your car has a trunk deck, the center of the trunk would only mean about 3" of wire before it goes under the front lip of the trunk.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Last edited by crypto on Thu May 26, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:56 am 

CipherNameRaVeN wrote:
I really do not like the way antenna cables run along the rood or the trunk of my car.

Each of those mounts will cost more than you paid for your magmount antenna; probably likewise for each of the antennas that fit those mounts. Just using one will give you a rather distorted radiation pattern (i.e. you'll talk and hear significantly better in some directions and worse in others, rather than evenly in all directions), and hooking up two would require some extra hardware to get the impedance right. Quite a bit more trouble than it's worth, in my opinion.

I agree with crypto about the aesthetic points. Extra antennas on the car look weird, cables or no. The beauty of the magmount is that you can remove it when you're not using it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:52 pm 

CipherNameRaVeN wrote:
Here it is :mrgreen:

I did not get a chance to install the antenna on my car yet and I did not take it to the highway. Hence, I did not hear anyone on the air yet.

Crypto, I may throw some questions at you later if you wont mind.
Also, If you have any tips, please let me know.

Looks solid!

Very nice!
I have 2 75-822's, bought 'em last winter sometime from reading a recommendation here on ZS. Both have worked well for their price, and I like the the option to use it as a handy-talkie and still be able to toss it them into the car for road trippin' things. While I can't really comment on the finer things of this radio, I've got no complaints with mine so far. It is, however.... a little on the hard to hear side, but that is with a cheap-assed china mart mag mount (center loaded) never tuned antenna on my '70 K20. Road noise... :lol:

I'm in the same antenna predicament as you, but mine is slightly easier since I recently picked up a new ex-gov vehicle that came with a "through the roof" mount NMO deal and all the cable to make it work, but it was likely not for CB... more likely HF bands so I'm waiting for the proper antenna to arrive before I get to test it all out. I've got a thread up on here about that same mount.... still workin' on it though.

If you are not shy of drilling holes in your vehicle, the NMO seems to be the way to go for a solid install

Here is what the crusty old NMO roof mount on my ex-gov XJ looks like:

The cool thing with that particular mount is: if you decide to ditch Citizens Band, the mount will still work for most other things as it's pretty standard. Your cable is already ran and all ya gotta do is change the antenna and it should be GTG.

Not sure that's all right, but.... hell, I'm still working' this idea myself.
Good stuff, I'm diggin' it!
6un-

over-thinking * over-analyzing
separates the body from the mind.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:39 pm 

Want a cool antenna?

Check out the rear deck on the bike. See that? It's called a directional discontinuity ring radiator (DDRR) developed for the Navy. This photo from 1966 shows the antenna has been arouhd for a while.

DDRR are avalible off-the-shelf for 2M and 440Mhz, there may be one out there for CB.

Or you could look at so-called 'hidden' CB antenna. They look like car antennas, but are tuned for CB service.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:59 am 

Quote:
I'm in the same antenna predicament as you, but mine is slightly easier since I recently picked up a new ex-gov vehicle that came with a "through the roof" mount NMO deal and all the cable to make it work, but it was likely not for CB... more likely HF bands so I'm waiting for the proper antenna to arrive before I get to test it all out. I've got a thread up on here about that same mount.... still workin' on it though.

CB is HF =P 11m and all that jazz.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:40 am 

Do you leave the rubber duck attached to the radio when you have it plugged into the trunk mount external antenna? I remove my rubber duck and just run the antenna on the trunk.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:34 pm 

CipherNameRaVeN wrote:

Hi everyone!

From this photo, the antenna mounts look like Nagoya RB-400. I was going to purchase it. And when I just made up my mind about buying one and contacted the seller, he replied saying that he does not stock/sell the Nagoya RB-400 anymore as vibration causes the bracket to scuff paint off the stationary panel. He suggested some replacements, some other brackets, but they were all lip mount brackets, where the bracket sits on the trunk/boot.
Now I am thinking if getting any Trunk Lip Mounting bracket would be a good idea as they all sit/touch the body of the car. I do know that they have some kind of protection, but as the seller wrote to me, they can still scuff the paint. Would it be better then just to use a simple Z type bracket, that you normally mount on the front gutter of the car and mount it permanently. I know that in most cars you would have to drill few holes as the back does not have screws like the front gutter of the car, but at least you would not have to worry about your paint getting any scratches. So now I have decided to mount a Z type bracket on the rear of my sedan. especially if I want to use a raise feed on a spring antenna type. I did some measurements and having a raised feed with a spring, the antenna would go over the rooftop from the bottom of the antenna which would be great for an omnidirectional antenna :)
The raised feed were designed for police cars so the antenna would go over the light bar on the roof. Now many people use them, but I am assuming they do not really know why, because some of them are being mounted on the bottom of the bull bar :)
I hope that some of this information was useful.

Best Wishes!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:21 pm 

This is the best deal on a CB I've ever seen. I have one. It puts out power! SSB will get you max distance too. It has a built in SWR meter.

http://www.sparkyscbshack.com/products/ ... ck%21.html

Quote:
Tuned Aligned TX Clarifier Opened...WOW...$94.95

Seriously, WOW!

Shok

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:50 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Sure looks like a sweet setup. Lots of nice features for the money. If I did not have my little Midland, I'd probably go for this one.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:53 pm 

Why doesn't anyone get SSB capable CBs?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:32 am 

Preface: I have an Amateur Extra license. This is the most technically demanding class of license issued in the Amateur Radio Service. I am primarily interested in using radio as a tool rather than a hobby and, as such, have focused on the technical aspects of making it work as well as physically possible since my primary goal is communication in adverse conditions.

I can't provide you a direct link to this thread because the forum is down for maintenance, but google "NASIOC Let me see your CB radio". It's a thread on a car forum I'm part of. There's a tremendous amount of information about putting radios in cars in that thread and it'll save me a lot of typing if you just go look.
ETA: I think This Is The Right Link but I'm not sure because NASIOC is still puking all over itself.

Moving on...

CipherNameRaVeN wrote:

That's a horrible setup. I say that for a number of reasons.

First, the antennas commonly employed on cars are almost all either 1/4-wave antennas or clever designs that try to fake being 1/4-wave antennas. All of these fall into the general class of being monopoles. The critical lesson to draw from that is that you can't radiate with a monopole. You have to have two poles working in opposition. Basically, you have to have a dipole. Since a 1/4-wave antenna is just one half of the required dipole, your car becomes the other half. This is why placement on the car, and mounting method, matter so much. Think of the car as a mirror. The antenna forms one "stick" of the dipole and the mirror image in the car forms the other. To make a good image, you need a large (1/4-wavelength, minimum), flat, unbroken, solid metal mirror. If you somehow fail to provide this "mirror", the signal is distorted, just like looking into a broken, warped, or cloudy mirror with your eyes. Because of this, the antenna mounting solution that works best is one that is mounted dead center IN, not on the largest piece of sheet metal on your car. Anything else is showing up with a knife at a gun fight.

Second, it's using screw-tightened "pinch" mounts. They're hugely inefficient. Again, you're bringing an airsoft gun to a big game hunt.

If you want a better/cleaner install, you want to put an NMO mount in the center of the roof. Inside, you run the cable over your headliner and then down the inside of the car to wherever your radio is. You never see the cabling. I tried to post pictures of it, but the forum software refused to let me do it since they've more than 850px high and I'm not going to resize them just for ZS. You can go to the thread on NASIOC and see them full size.

crypto wrote:
If that picture of the VW is a picture of a CB setup, it must be some sort of dipole array, and looks expensive.

1) That's not a dipole. Dipole has a very specific meaning in the context of antennas. That's a phased array. Specially, CBers call the one they use that looks like that "co-phased antennas".
2) Those aren't CB antennas. They're too short. Even with serious loading (and the bases aren't big enough for that), they're still too short to be resonant on 11m.

Again, please google for that thread on NASIOC. There's so much information there that I've taken hours to type out over the years.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:51 pm 

williaty wrote:
crypto wrote:
If that picture of the VW is a picture of a CB setup, it must be some sort of dipole array, and looks expensive.

1) That's not a dipole. Dipole has a very specific meaning in the context of antennas. That's a phased array. Specially, CBers call the one they use that looks like that "co-phased antennas".
2) Those aren't CB antennas. They're too short. Even with serious loading (and the bases aren't big enough for that), they're still too short to be resonant on 11m.

Not to mention the fact that the distance between them is far too close for efficient co-phasing on 11m.

There's always a certain percentage of any population with the conviction that society is a conspiracy to deny them their rights.
The right to be totally ignorant of any useful knowledge seems to be the basic one.
- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:01 pm 

I'm just wondering how efficient using your standard factory AM/FM antenna as a CB antenna would work. If bolting an antenna to your roof is really the only effective method than an inefficient alternative is to just do the minimum, ie: tap into the existing antenna. comments?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:45 pm 

TXwaterdog wrote:
I'm just wondering how efficient using your standard factory AM/FM antenna as a CB antenna would work. If bolting an antenna to your roof is really the only effective method than an inefficient alternative is to just do the minimum, ie: tap into the existing antenna. comments?

Horrible idea. There's a good chance you'll burn up your car radio and the antenna is so short it'll be total crap for CB. This question gets asked all the time. It's a horrible idea.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:18 pm 

I'm thinking about getting the: Midland 40-Channel Mobile CB Radio - 1001LWX

I like the idea of having NOAA and weather searching on the CB.

Would a long whip antenna be sufficient for that as well or will the NOAA need anther antenna? Like the OP I'm considering adding a CB to the vehicle and looking for advice on antennas... the theme here seems to be go big or go home, tune it and do it right.

I really like the OP's choice because it's so useful.. well it seems useful. But will it do the job? I think that an external antenna is needed at a minimum.
(http://www.midlandradio.com/CB-Radio.WYQ/75-822)

Highlights:
Plug and Play Functionality
Easily Changes from a Mobile to a Portable
Instant Channel 9 Access

Key Features:
40 Channels
4 Watts Output Power
5 Memory Channels
NOAA Weather Radio
HI/LO Power

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:46 pm 

I have the slightly older 75-820. I recently added a better antenna to it for use when handheld, the 'Cobra HA-TA Hand-Held CB Antenna'. This same midland was sold as the Cobra HH45, its actually made by Maxon and was sold through midland, cobra, radio shack and Cherokee.

This will do SSB if you search for and do the easy mod for it.

Several companies make an sell trunk lip brackets if you want to go that route. You can also get a quick release so the bracket and cable stay mounted and you just unscrew the antenna and stow it. I have this one http://www.walcottcb.com/kdt-twist-quic ... 28_354_446

If you can find them there used to be extra battery cases for these. I have the original 6AA alkaline and two 8AA NiCad packs. Those Nicad packs work fine with Eneloops, I just don't use their trickle charge function, instead pull the batteries out and charge them on a good charger.

Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:21 pm 

Trunk lip brackets are crap and make a bad situation worse.