Zombie Squad

Making Dead Things Deader Since 2003
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:39 pm 

I am looking at power supplies, and I was wondering how big and powerful of a supply do I really need? I have a Yaesu FT-100D on my way, and I really do not understand which supply I should get.

On a side note, I am also putting together a power supply from an old ATX computer power supply, and once I hit up Ace Hardware, that will be done.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:46 pm 

RigPix database states that the current draw on TX is 22 amps.

http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft100d.htm

So I'd be looking for something in the 25 amp and higher range. MFJ 4125, Astron RS-35a and SS-30 are all rated at 25 amps. The 4125 and the SS-30 are switching power supplies which are smaller and lighter than the RS-35a which has a big transformer and weighs over 20 lbs. I have both the MFJ 4125 and the Astron RS-35a. I bought the MFJ new and it worked about three months before it went out. MFJ replaced it under warranty and the new unit is still running along. I bought the Astron off of eBay for a very good price, but I literally searched everyday for a few months till I finally won one for the price I was willing to pay.
I use the Astron for my fixed station and the MFJ is going into a battery back-up project I am scrounging parts for.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:08 pm 

Looking at my ATX power supply, I THINK it says that it outputs 18 amps at 12 volts. Will that suffice until I can get a more robust power supply?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:04 am 

You'll have to turn down the radio power to say 40-50 watts but I don't know for sure. If it is like most radios, the power out/amps drawn is not linear meaning that if it pulls 22A on 100W TX, it will not pull 11A on 50W TX.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:43 am 

American_Infidel wrote:
You'll have to turn down the radio power to say 40-50 watts but I don't know for sure. If it is like most radios, the power out/amps drawn is not linear meaning that if it pulls 22A on 100W TX, it will not pull 11A on 50W TX.

A 100 watt transceiver only draws about 9 - 12 amps - depending upon if the fan is running or not and the model.

A 35 amp power supply is mininum requirement - since a 20 amp power supply will only supply about 12 amps of continous power - not enough for 100% duty cycle - needed for CW or digital modes.

Astron power supplies are Amateur Grade Equipment, communications grade equipment has a 100% duty cycle and also a larger termperature range which you can operate it under.

The Astron power supply is only duty rated to 32* F

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:46 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Dah Di Dah wrote:
American_Infidel wrote:

A 100 watt transceiver only draws about 9 - 12 amps - depending upon if the fan is running or not and the model.

I can't comment on your setup, but the manufacturer's brochure for the FT-857 (which has a 100 watt transmitter) lists a 22A drain at 13.8V when transmitting.

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:21 pm 

Do you guys think the old Yaesu FT-101 series radios are too complex for a beginner? I passed the Tec class but I don't have any experience yet. I really need to watch someone else as that's how I learn best. The FT-101ZD radio has the display which I figured would make it easier. I ask because I have the choice between a FT-101? and a FT-101ZD from my Dad, but I've been warned that I don't want to mess with plate and load (whatever that means) as a beginner. I really love the look of the old radios and already know I'll have to collect all the accessories to build a full station as described by Yaesu.

I also have a Yaesu FT-2900R/E 2 meter radio that I want to build into a manpack. I haven't dared to TX on it yet though. I can't find any training classes in my area, just test sites. The most I've been able to see a real HAM us equipment was at Zombiecon 2010 and 2012 hosted by Dr. Jest. It's taken me this long to get things rolling.