It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:46 pm 

I have an S-250 shelter that I will sell for $450, located in So Cal. I stripped the insides, filled holes and was going to make it into a trailer mounted ham station from hell but I'll never get around to it.
PM me if interested.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:22 pm 

They work great for me worth every dime.. wait I got mine for free!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:24 pm 

My S-250 shelter is down to $350, pick up in So Cal.
Somebody come and get it!
Radio Guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:05 pm 

These remind me of the Cisco NERV:

http://blogs.cisco.com/news/video_cisco ... icle_nerv/

i got a tour of it a while ago and have been wanting to build one ever since. The main purpose of the Cisco unit was to provide mesh wireless internet (via satellite uplink) and all the things that go along with that like IP phones, videoconferencing, etc. They had thought of lots of cool stuff like using area codes of geographically diverse areas (for the VoIP phones) so that the odds of both area codes being overwhelmed with traffic during an emergency was low.

They also had a system that took feeds from various public safety radio systems, both trunked and traditional, and turned them into IP streams so they could be monitored over the network. This system also could transmit, so they were able to patch any system into any other system. This would let various agencies or responder groups communicate easily.

They had a token Icom UHF/VHF/HF Ham radio.

Other cool things it has that would be useful for ZS - 360 degree video and audio surveillance around the vehicle (also streamed over IP), conference room/command post in the back with teleconference ability, field deployable wifi mesh network nodes to extend internet access for miles in any direction, and of course fully self supporting with food/fuel/water for several weeks.

I think a cool thing to add to a unit like this would be a micropower FM or AM station for broadcasting a loop of information to people with only basic radio reception. Any traditional media broadcasts that exist WSHTF will be essential, but there would be nothing better than "I am a mile from you and things have gone to hell int he immediate area in the following specific ways..." :)

'wose

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:10 pm 

Ok, my S-250 is down to $300. Somebody please come get it cuz I need the room!
Radio Guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:23 pm 

I'd love to have it, but it's a bit of a trip. :D

There's always a certain percentage of any population with the conviction that society is a conspiracy to deny them their rights.
The right to be totally ignorant of any useful knowledge seems to be the basic one.
- Keith Laumer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:32 am 

Radio guy wrote:
Ok, my S-250 is down to $300. Somebody please come get it cuz I need the room!
Radio Guy

I would take it in a heart beat if it was a bit more east.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:39 pm 

The S-250 shelters are nice. they are tight and well built, but also very heavy. They were designed to fit in a M1028 shelter carrier or its HMMWV (Humvee) equivelant. It was basicly an 80's vintage square body chevy pickup but with ton and a quarter suspention. It was noted that they made the vehicle very top heavy and rollovers happened even in the HMMWV's which are 7' wide. (a pickup is about 6' wide) They should fit into a typical 8' pickup bed, but wouldnt use less than a one ton truck. Suspention on a lighter truck would be to soft. Use caution on sharp turns and off road!

I use an S-280 (S-250's big brother) in my Deuce and a half..... They are awsome, dry, and built to last.