The Beekeeping Thread (Pic heavy)

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Anianna

Re: The Beekeeping Thread (Pic heavy) - Updated OP

Post by Anianna » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:41 am

Hubby purchased his queen from Noble Apiaries: http://queenbeesforsale.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have only seen good things about them on the bee forums and can't find a negative thing said about them, so I guess if you have to buy a queen or absolutely need to purchase bees through the mail, they're the way to go.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:35 am

I have added information to the Resources section of the OP, including info on ordering live bees, info on queen cages, and I added Glenn Apiaries as a source of education/information on beekeeping.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:50 am

So talked to dad and he basically said if you order nuc's do it from a local company don't even try to get them via mail. The guy he learned from did order online a few times and had similar results as you. He said he deals with "Trees and Bees" to get queens through the mail and has really good luck with them the come quickly as are very strong. All the hives we've put queens in haven't killed them, and are pretty damn docile.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:58 am

I thought this was super cool. Look what our bees built:

∩(=^_^=)

vukic

Post by vukic » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:08 pm

That looks stunning.. Was it built on that stick??

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:59 pm

vukic wrote:That looks stunning.. Was it built on that stick??

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
That is a queen cage we put in the hive with a new queen in it. They got the queen out and then built that fan-like comb on top of it. I'm thinking of placing more objects in the hive to see what they do with them.

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:17 pm

I would suggest not if honey is the main goal. I believe it takes about 4lbs of honey to make 1lb of wax. They do love to build though and can come up with some pretty cool looking designs. If they build them and cap them with honey there's a pretty big demand for on the comb honey. You could sell something like that when its capped for about as much as a jar of honey normally. We got a wild hive out of a tree last year that had build their nest and started capping the honey. We got them out and put the in our hive then cut the honey out of their old hive sold that for a pretty penny. Just a thought though it does take a lot of effort for them to make wax.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks, IceMyst. I'll keep that in mind.

I spotted an interesting blip in the latest Wired magazine related to beekeeping:
Wired wrote:CLEANING BEEHIVES
When a bee colony falls prey to the deadly American foulbrood infection, the apiarist has three options: burn the hive, bury it, or zap it with a particle accelerator. Iotron Industries moves the bees out of a hive and hits it with an electron beam, disrupting the DNA of any lingering pests and rendering them sterile. The bees can move back in the same day.
Nifty.

∩(=^_^=)

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:23 am

Grandpa (maternal) was very diligent about diseases. Anything that showed up, and I do mean anything, he would nail the hive shut and burn it to the ground.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:00 am

Tater Raider wrote:Grandpa (maternal) was very diligent about diseases. Anything that showed up, and I do mean anything, he would nail the hive shut and burn it to the ground.
Until we can buy inexpensive particle accelerators from our local apiary supply place or off the shelf at Walmart, that's pretty much the best bet for the home hobby apiarist. Well, maybe not for anything, but for foulbrood, certainly. :mrgreen:

∩(=^_^=)

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:26 am

What's foulbrood?

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:37 am

Resolute wrote:What's foulbrood?
It's a spore that gets into the food adult bees feed to "baby" bees. It infects and kills capped larvae. It proliferates in the guts of the larvae and spreads rapidly throughout the hive.

∩(=^_^=)

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Anianna wrote:
Resolute wrote:What's foulbrood?
It's a spore that gets into the food adult bees feed to "baby" bees. It infects and kills capped larvae. It proliferates in the guts of the larvae and spreads rapidly throughout the hive.
He'd also do the same for mites and a handful of other things. He took the whole, "Kill it with fire!" thing quite literally. :o

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:46 pm

We've been very very lucky about no foulbrood but I wouldnt mess with then just roast them up. Mites we've had and taken care of with chemicals and had no ill effects on the hive.

CountryClub

Post by CountryClub » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:47 am

Thanks for this thread, learning a bunch. Im gonna need to move next to a bee keeper though, the little buggers creep me out.
Vladimir Wolodarsky: Steve, one of the interns just fell down the stairs with the main tracking processor.
Steve Zissou: All right, just make sure we steal the backup.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Have you guys seen the jarred honeycomb instructions? I think, if I did this, I would put a deep over the jars to reduce the heat generated by the glass in the hive. I really want to do this.

∩(=^_^=)

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:26 pm

That's pretty awesome. Like, really truly awesome.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:47 am

Anianna wrote:Have you guys seen the jarred honeycomb instructions? I think, if I did this, I would put a deep over the jars to reduce the heat generated by the glass in the hive. I really want to do this.

OMG! That is AWESOME!!!!!! I'll have to share this at the next bee meeting around here! Truly pretty awesome!

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:54 am

Just in case you don't already know, make sure to use a queen excluder with that so as not to get brood in the honeycomb jars. :ooh:

∩(=^_^=)

jdev

Post by jdev » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:53 pm

That. Is. AWESOME! More ideas for whenever I can finally have bees!

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:46 pm

A 3.5" hole saw is more expensive than I expected, but I figure people love these honeycomb jars at farmer's markets, so it should be worth it when we start getting enough honey to sell.

∩(=^_^=)

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:35 pm

To many hobbies and not enough time.Enjoyed the thread!
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Just a quick tip, if you're building something like this and just need a smidge of paint for the outer edges (we use painted hives), check for "oops paint" at Lowes or Home Depot or wherever you shop for paint. Oops paint is basically returns and are often special blends that didn't turn out as the customer expected. It is a lot less expensive than buying new paint in the aisle, but you never know what's available. My SIL painted the entire interior of her house with oops paint and it looks awesome. She's great at picking complementing colors that work together and it looks great and was super cheap compared to what it would have cost her to buy new paint. Anyway, you can often find exterior paint in the oops stuff, too, and you can use that to finish the outer edges of your board. The inner parts don't need to be finished if you hide the jars in a medium or a deep (not sure if a medium is big enough, but I think it probably is).

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:42 am

Anianna how are the hives? I just saw the last update about the "oops paint" great tip for those of us who paint our hives.... I wonder how much gray they get returned that's our favorite color for our hives. hahaha

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”