The Beekeeping Thread (Pic heavy)

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Anianna

Re: The Beekeeping Thread (Pic heavy)

Post by Anianna » Fri May 31, 2013 6:15 pm

I hope so. My husband was fretting over potentially losing the queen we had purchased. I told him he better not since I named her and I'm attached. :lol:

I can never find the queen in the hive, so it was nice to have a marked one. I hope she makes it and grows a good, strong hive.

I finally got an answer from the place we bought nucs from. They only said they're "starting to catch up". I'm not sure what this means since our nucs are a month overdue. I'm worried that it will be so late in the season that they won't have enough time to establish before the cold weather.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri May 31, 2013 7:42 pm

I don't like saying it but if its later in the season just pump then full of sugar water, it'll make them lazy but rather have a lazy hive then a dead one. I wouldn't worry much
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:54 am

We checked the nuc this morning. It looks like the bees have eaten away about half the plug in the queen cage. We were told to see if the bees are clinging to the cage and biting, but it's really hard to tell. they are definitely on the cage, but I can't tell if they are being aggressive, so we decided not to open the cage yet and just let the bees continue to go at the plug.

The good news is bees stayed in the nuc and didn't go back to the old hive. The concern now is that there aren't enough bees with the new queen, so we'll see how it goes. Bees occupy only two frames in the nuc at the moment, and each frame looks about like this:

Also, I find that I feel a little claustrophobic in my bee suit, but the one time I went to take pics without the suit on, I got stung in the face. It is fortunate that once bees get established, I am not needed for photographs all that frequently.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:35 pm

from the looks of it they don't seem to be aggressive though its hard to tell with pictures. Also bees don't normally like to stay in a hive if they don't have a queen so that's another bit of good news for you. To me it sounds as though the nuc has taken the queen and you should be good once they eat though the plug. The frames I wouldn't worry about now, that should be fine for a new hive. You probably wont get much production out of that hive this year I would just make sure they get settled in and have plenty of stores for winter.

The joys of bee keeping eh?? haha I always love opening up hives ours are pretty docile so my dad wears the suit and I stand by and watch (we only have one) and the only time I was stung was a few years ago and I was getting swarmed and paniced for a moment and swatted one which stung me in the arm. That was my own stupid fault now I don't even worry haha but yea some hives are a little more angry then ours.

Anyways cheers! I'll have to get some good pics of our hives in action...

Edit: Got photo bucket working! Here's a pic

JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Nice looking apiary. Are the hives tilted to keep out rainwater? I believe my husband was going to do that, but we never had a problem with water in the hives and so never tilted them.

We've had some developments. Hubby let the queen out and then the nuc was attacked by red ants and many of the bees left. Hubby slathered petroleum jelly around the edges of the hive lid the nuc is sitting on (ours has metal attached to the lid) and this effectively halted the ant invasion, but only a few bees remained. Our bee guy recommended trying to take more bees from the old hive and said all we can do is hope that they will accept the queen that is in the nuc. Hubby says they didn't sound happy when he locked them in. :gonk:

Also, I got a call today that the nucs we ordered will be here by the end of the week. If Hester of the Nuc survives, that will put us at four hives total, but we only have three full setups of double deeps and extra mediums. One of my kids wants a hive of his own, so we made him a deal that if he bought a bottom board, cover, and lid, Daddy would give him a deep, a medium, and the frames to get his hive started, so we won't be short hives and the kiddo will get his own bees.

So, we're still waiting to discover the fate of our one remaining hive as well as the fate of Hester of the Nuc and waiting on our new arrivals. All this excitement has about done me in!

I will be heading to Lowes this week and will see how much corrugated plastic costs. I'm thinking about sliding some on top of the cinder blocks under each hive so I can slather petroleum jelly under each hive to protect our bees from the ants. Maybe it will keep the creepy cockroaches out, too. *shudder*

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:03 pm

yes they are tilted because we live in Seattle and its always raining. That's only about half the hives we'be split the on in the back left 3 times already, and caught 3 swarms. My dad has a friend that is going to start watching after some if our hives because we are getting to the point where we think density might become an issue.

I would start off with 1 or 2 frames from another hive that shouldn't be an issue. Sounds like you'll have a nice set up!

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:03 pm

The nucs are coming! The nucs are coming!! :clap:

Just in time for bad weather from Andrea! :oh:

We expect some wind from Tropical Storm Andrea and Hester is still in her nuc due to too small a population of bees to defend a hive yet. We were worried the nuc would get blown around, so I strapped it with a ratcheting strap to the hive it is sitting on. I hope that suffices. Those hives survived Irene and we expect far less weather from this storm, so I think the setup will be sufficient.

I did put a sheet of plastic between the cinder blocks and the bottom of the hive the nuc is sitting on and slathered the underside of it with petroleum jelly to better control our ant issues. I wanted to take pictures, but my hands were covered in greasy Vaseline, so that didn't work out well. I will get some next time we check the hives.

I'm not sure what to do with the new nucs if they do arrive during or just in time for the bad weather. They can stay in those for a few more days, right? I believe these nucs will be in a wooden box, unlike the nuc we have which is corrugated plastic, so they should be more durable and less likely to blow around in the wind.

∩(=^_^=)

Cowgirl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:38 am

Anianna wrote:We ordered nucs and the company is having a hard time meeting the demand of the pre-orders this year, so hubby's been checking Craigslist and spotted this:
I have two hives only. They are the meanest , bad ass bees that ever lived and will follow you into hell in order to sting you, but make the best honey you ever tasted and a lot of it too. If you think you can handle them, 400.00 each. Come in full armor, you will need it.
:shock: :lol:
I got a hive like that once. Meanest bees I ever had. I used to work my bees with just my bee hat. Not those! I ended up re-queening the hive.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:06 am

Was that all it took to calm them down, Cowgirl?

I haven't slept well in quite some time, so I keep doing stupid things. Hubby's nucs came. One looked fine, but I couldn't see any bees in the other, so I figured I had to open it up and check it before it was too late to make a claim on it. It's friggin pouring rain here, so I took it into the shed to open it. Got all suited up. Fought to get the stupid box open. Saw that there was an empty queen cage and lots of bees milling about the frames and spent several minutes gathering bees from around the shed to put back in the nuc. Just as I was getting the last one I saw, I got stung in the foot. I got all that daggum gear on and forgot to put my shoes back on. OUCH. My foot swelled almost instantly, so I had to walk back to the house through the flooded yard in the pouring rain in my sock foot. The water all over the place was actually kind of relieving and it's fine now that I have tobacco on it. Stuff's friggin' amazing.

∩(=^_^=)

Cowgirl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:05 pm

It takes awhile for a new queen to calm a hive. Her daughters have to hatch and grow up.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks, Cowgirl.

Well, I can't say that I would recommend ordering nucs from Pigeon Mountain. First off, I understand that we have to expect some variability in the delivery time frame, but we ordered months in advance for a delivery in the last week of April. I was willing to wait, even to this, the first week of June. However, one nuc arrived with absolutely no food stores and there was a large pile of bees dead in the bottom of the nuc. This is not the kind of thing you can see looking through the screens on the nuc box at the Post Office and you cannot file a shipping claim once the item is accepted. There is no way to open the nuc and examine it closely at the Post Office. In the other nuc, we found the queen dead - also something we could not see through the viewing screens at the Post Office. The second (queenless ) nuc had very little food stores and both nucs came with one of the frames completely empty - not even hive built up. I have emailed them and asked them to solve the issue of my dead queen. If they do not remedy the issue to my satisfaction, I think I may file a claim against them for failing to deliver as advertised:
Pigeon Mountain Trading Company website wrote:Our nucs are five deep or medium frames of eggs, larva, capped brood and honey with an marked Italian queen.
That's an exact quote and, if nothing else, the empty frame in both nucs and the complete lack of honey in the one nuc is a failure to deliver as advertized. In my opinion, they should have told customers they couldn't fill the orders and give refunds for the orders they could not fill as advertised. I get it, they wanted to keep the money, but this is some shitty work.

Here's our poor dear dead queen:

∩(=^_^=)

jdev

Post by jdev » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:26 pm

Anianna wrote:Thanks, Cowgirl.

Well, I can't say that I would recommend ordering nucs from Pigeon Mountain. First off, I understand that we have to expect some variability in the delivery time frame, but we ordered months in advance for a delivery in the last week of April. I was willing to wait, even to this, the first week of June. However, one nuc arrived with absolutely no food stores and there was a large pile of bees dead in the bottom of the nuc. This is not the kind of thing you can see looking through the screens on the nuc box at the Post Office and you cannot file a shipping claim once the item is accepted. There is no way to open the nuc and examine it closely at the Post Office. In the other nuc, we found the queen dead - also something we could not see through the viewing screens at the Post Office. The second (queenless ) nuc had very little food stores and both nucs came with one of the frames completely empty - not even hive built up. I have emailed them and asked them to solve the issue of my dead queen. If they do not remedy the issue to my satisfaction, I think I may file a claim against them for failing to deliver as advertised:
Pigeon Mountain Trading Company website wrote:Our nucs are five deep or medium frames of eggs, larva, capped brood and honey with an marked Italian queen.
That's an exact quote and, if nothing else, the empty frame in both nucs and the complete lack of honey in the one nuc is a failure to deliver as advertized. In my opinion, they should have told customers they couldn't fill the orders and give refunds for the orders they could not fill as advertised. I get it, they wanted to keep the money, but this is some shitty work.

Here's our poor dear dead queen:

That is absolutely uncalled for. I'd be about livid.

Anianna

Re: The Beekeeping Thread (Pic heavy) - Updated OP

Post by Anianna » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:32 pm

We're pretty unhappy about it. This comes after being frustrated by lack of communication, too. We weren't even sure we'd get our nucs.

∩(=^_^=)

jdev

Post by jdev » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:41 pm

Anianna wrote:We're pretty unhappy about it. This comes after being frustrated by lack of communication, too. We weren't even sure we'd get our nucs.
I believe it! I'm glad you posted this, though; bees are on my list of things I want to do whenever I can get my own place (in an apartment at the moment) with a bit of land. Now I know who to avoid when it comes time!

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:09 pm

I received an email response that we'll be getting a queen. I just need to call on Monday and ask for it. I was a little miffed that the empty frames were explained away as brood hatching and I was ready to respond and explain that the frames weren't even drawn, but my husband said to just let it go and accept the queen. I'll let you guys know if anything extraordinary occurs in getting the queen. I am happy that they are willing to replace the dead queen.

∩(=^_^=)

jdev

Post by jdev » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:26 pm

Anianna wrote:I received an email response that we'll be getting a queen. I just need to call on Monday and ask for it. I was a little miffed that the empty frames were explained away as brood hatching and I was ready to respond and explain that the frames weren't even drawn, but my husband said to just let it go and accept the queen. I'll let you guys know if anything extraordinary occurs in getting the queen. I am happy that they are willing to replace the dead queen.

I glad they were at least willing to do that. That kind of ineptness or just plain lack of care and concern in the quality of their product is uncalled for, though.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:58 am

I wrote back and explained that the frames I spoke of didn't even have drawn comb. He apologized and explained that it was an oversight and not intentional. Our replacement queen arrived today in a 3 hole Rice cage (named after its Australian inventor):

I'm not really sure how to use this cage to introduce the queen to the hive. I assume we put the cage between frames and go out after a few days to pull the cork out of the end? There is candy food in the cage, but there is no candy plug for the bees to eat away at to get her out themselves. I think the ideal cage would be a larger version of the JZ/BZ. The JZ/BZ is great for shipping and introduction except that it's a little small.

ETA: I missed that there are corks on both ends, so I guess we can pull the cork out nearest the candy food before putting the cage in the hive.

∩(=^_^=)

vukic

Post by vukic » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:56 pm

Fingers crossed this one succeeds.. I'd still complain about their quality and service..

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

jdev

Post by jdev » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:02 pm

vukic wrote:Fingers crossed this one succeeds.. I'd still complain about their quality and service..

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
Same from me!

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:27 pm

To be honest, I haven't found a bee/beekeeping supplier that I've been completely happy with. I ordered hive parts from Greenbeehives Monday, June 3 and they still haven't shipped my order. Most of these companies seem to be mom and pop organizations that have a hard time with the demands this time of year or the demands of doing business in general. I just find the one that carries what I want and hope there aren't any problems with the order.

Pigeon Mountain Trading Company doesn't always get my orders right, but they are very nice and willing to work with me. I still don't recommend ordering bees by mail, but I will still deal with them for bee suits, at least, and maybe some other supplies.

Greenbeehives is the only company I know that carries the hives we like best. If I find a different company that has the same type of hives, I may try them, but I don't really hold out much hope that it gets better. These companies mean well and are trying to meet a need in the beekeeping community. It's just that they're bee people, not necessarily business people.

My recommendations:
1. Plan ahead and order your beekeeping supplies in the off-season (fall, winter)
2. Get your bees from local beekeepers or drive wherever you have to go to pick them up yourself. A good beekeeper will open up the nuc for examination and will check for the queen to make sure she is in there before handing the box to you. Also, our local guy always has the queen well-established in the nucs, but when we ordered them, the queens came in a cage in the nucs. An established queen is definitely the better option. Again, plan ahead and place your order with your local beekeeper well in advance of spring if you can.

∩(=^_^=)

jdev

Post by jdev » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Anianna wrote:To be honest, I haven't found a bee/beekeeping supplier that I've been completely happy with. I ordered hive parts from Greenbeehives Monday, June 3 and they still haven't shipped my order. Most of these companies seem to be mom and pop organizations that have a hard time with the demands this time of year or the demands of doing business in general. I just find the one that carries what I want and hope there aren't any problems with the order.

Pigeon Mountain Trading Company doesn't always get my orders right, but they are very nice and willing to work with me. I still don't recommend ordering bees by mail, but I will still deal with them for bee suits, at least, and maybe some other supplies.

Greenbeehives is the only company I know that carries the hives we like best. If I find a different company that has the same type of hives, I may try them, but I don't really hold out much hope that it gets better. These companies mean well and are trying to meet a need in the beekeeping community. It's just that they're bee people, not necessarily business people.

My recommendations:
1. Plan ahead and order your beekeeping supplies in the off-season (fall, winter)
2. Get your bees from local beekeepers or drive wherever you have to go to pick them up yourself. A good beekeeper will open up the nuc for examination and will check for the queen to make sure she is in there before handing the box to you. Also, our local guy always has the queen well-established in the nucs, but when we ordered them, the queens came in a cage in the nucs. An established queen is definitely the better option. Again, plan ahead and place your order with your local beekeeper well in advance of spring if you can.
Thanks for the info!

On an unrelated side note, I love that quote in your signature!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:35 pm

I'll hit up my dad tonight and ask him who he uses to get queens from and such. We've had fantastic luck with them I think he got one queen from the company in 3 days. I really should get more into the process but living in an apartment and only making it down to my parents once a week maybe its hard to do the day to day tending. But I'll report bag as soon as I can!

Anianna: Really sorry about your luck but hey they seem to be working with you so that's great! At least you got your queen replaced. I'd just give them some sugar water and hope they adapt and start foraging as soon as possible.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:19 pm

Hubby has fed both hives. The group that arrived with no food has eaten about as much as we expected and we did not need to make them more syrup today. The queenless hive, though, didn't seem to know what to do other than eat and be pissed off. They are angry bees and they ate through all we fed them over the weekend. Hopefully, that new queen will get them working instead of just eating!

Come to think of it, we didn't have any problems with the company hubby had ordered that one queen from. I'll have to ask him who that was and post a link in the OP.

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:00 am

Come to think of it, we didn't have any problems with the company hubby had ordered that one queen from. I'll have to ask him who that was and post a link in the OP.
Care to find out? Dad didn't return my call so ill try tomorrow. Hope things work out Anianna! Post more pics of the hives once the new queens get settled in

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”